Galesburg-Augusta High School

Public | 9-12 | 319 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 28, 2014

This school is AWFUL! 2009 was when I started at the high school. It was the best year I've ever experienced there. Who the principal was then, sadly moved away. If he were still here, I would rate this school a 5 star. He always interacted with the students. He was serious yet fun. He made school fun to go to. But ever since he moved, the school has gone downhill so bad. I walked in the school to visit my favorite teacher and I can't believe how dramatic that school has changed. The students are very rude to one another. They're also rude to the teachers. They are always causing trouble and getting into fights. If they're feeling down, they will bring you down with them. All they do is talk about everyone. They're so unbelievably disrespectful to everyone. This is all coming from someone who has seen this first hand. I would never recommend this school to anyone. My kids will NEVER go to this school. All the teachers have favorites; pretty much all the smart kids that are in NHS, Honors classes, AP classes. This school is a giant joke.

Posted March 3, 2012

I went to G-A schools from kindergarten through high school. I was in band, NHS, and a few other activities. I was able to participate in AP classes and went on to a private university where I graduated with honors. Growing up in a small school didn't hurt me--it helped me. I love the fact that when we graduated ('02), most of us had been in school together since elementary school. It's a safe school, the teachers are dedicated, and because it's small there is a good sense of community. I'm proud to be a G-A graduate.

Posted October 25, 2010

this school district is the best i have a special needs son who started out low in every subject but sence comming here in the 8th grade he has now been moved into regular ed classes and is pulling aband c in each class, any school that takes the time to help the students is got to be the best there is.

Posted August 4, 2008

I still go to Galesburg-Augusta and I absoulutly love it! The teachers are very good and actually care about the school. The sports are doing extremely well and I don't think that we could be doing any better. My mother, my uncles, my cousins, and my grandparnets went there and now so do I. I am doing so well and I am on the path to sucess and I know that I can thank Galesburg-Augusta High School for it. You can ask any student that is there right now and they would say the same thing.!We also have some awsome women's athletics. We work hard and our school pushes us as much as they can ! I wouldn't change it for the world

Posted May 9, 2008

not a good school, teaching is at best a c- went there for 1 year

Posted January 18, 2008

I have two kids that went or are still going to Galesburg and am glad I made the choice to send my kids there I like the home like feeling of this school I do hope by the time my youngest is in high school the sports program will be alot better becouse she will be a very TALL girl, My son is a 2006 grad and is now @ KVCC and did very well at G-A

Posted October 23, 2007

Galesburg-Augusta schools seem to be on the decline. I attended from first grade through my senior year of High School and looking back, the final 2 or 3 years I attended were fairly disastrous. The sports are declining for the most part and do not look bright in the future and the school board/current principle seem to be lacking in major areas. Students who played major sports such as football or basketball received special treatment by the faculty and got away with behaviors that most schools would not accept. It's a poor time to be enrolled at the Galesburg-Augusta Schools and it only appears to be getting worse. There needs to be a major overhaul from within if G-A schools look to have much success in the future.

Posted March 5, 2006

I am not an alumnist, however my husband is, and we happily send our 3 boys through the system here. (I attended a former kva school.) I have sub-taught in the disctict noting very few problems as a sub, and currently help coach in the high school. I believe the sports teams are up & coming, including the addition of bowling and soon women's soccer. The small atmosphere of the district lends a homey feeling rather than just a fish in the pond. Allowing for lower student-teacher ratio and more extra-curricular opportunities for all students. The band is always rated #1, and the drama department is creeping up with some very talented actors/actresses. This school is also not eliminating staff due to state cuts, but could use the community to support all areas of education. Test score reports show g-a in the top 25% of kzoo county. Great small school!

Posted September 19, 2005

Galesburg Augusta Schools are gaining momentum in the qualtiy of education provided. They continue to add qualified and knowledgable teachers while retaining the exsistig great ones. Some problems are present in the accountability of lower quality teachers. Extracircular activities are slowly starting to become more respectable with the additon of better sport programs at the early middle school level. I think the toughest obstacle for the Galesburg Augusta School System is regaining trust and diginity within its own community.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 31, 2004

At G-A most of the school board has been on there for years, and are probably going to be there for the next several years. Ther are four camaras, not 32 like this site says and the are not monitored. In four years the high school has had three different principles, and they go through superintendents just as fast. For all parents who are interested in having their kids play sports, don't move to Galesburg. The only good coach they have had since 91 is the wrestling coach and he retired. Over all G-A isn't that bad of a school, hell I went there for 12 years, you just have to be able to put up with the crap that goes on there. Oh yeah it's more like 99.5% white not 97.

Grade level

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

"90"%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

Multiracial 7% 2%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mr. Richard Bowers
Fax number
  • (269) 484-2011

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education