No rating

St. Raphael School

Private | PK-8 | 188 students

Living in Garden City

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $55,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Posted August 6, 2014

This school continues to decline, especially with the merging of St. Dunstan and St. Raphael parishes to make St. Thomas the Apostle. Both parishes are/were in considerable debt before merging. This is a sinking ship of a school. In five years, SRS has gone from 225 students down to around 125. Class sizes in the lower grades are in the single digits to teens. Principals come, work for a few years, get experience, then leave. The buildings and tiny gym are in disrepair. Teachers are compensated WAY below what other schools pay. If any Catholic schools want to stay open in this area, they have to merge and pool their resources.

Posted April 30, 2014

St. Raphael Catholic School has enthusiastic, exemplary teachers who work tirelessly to create an environment that fosters a love of learning.

Posted September 19, 2013

I like this boy alvin in my class he's cute!!!!!!! I like this school especially our sports team is really good!

Posted July 22, 2013

Like most internet blogs, anyone can post anything whether it be true or false, critical or complimentary, just or unjust. Such is the case with the June 22 review. Contrary to what a disgruntled teacher posted, students receive the best academics and the best religious formation. The principal and staff strive to achieve their best in leadership and educational practices. They have only the best interests of the students in mind. The school facilities are constantly updated and refurbished, so the students feel safe and secure during their school day and after-school activities.

Posted June 2, 2013

We are very pleased with the education that our children are receiving at St. Raphael Catholic School. The principal and staff are very professional, high standard individuals. This reflects both in and outside the classroom. The environment of the school is safe, friendly and goal driven. Each child has the opportunity to attain academic success, to participate in CYO sports, and to attend supervised after school activities. I can see our children are growing in faith, knowledge and spirit daily because of Mrs. Brzezinski and staff.

Posted May 23, 2013

I think sending my children to St. Raphael Catholic school is definitely one of the best decisions we have made for our children's education and faith. Anyone that spends any amount of time at the school volunteering can see how hard Mrs. Brezezinski, works to make our school the best it can be for our children. There have been MANY improvements implemented into place in the last 4 years she has been our principal. She cares about our children. I appreciate her and the teachers at our school for all of the dedication.

Posted May 22, 2013

As a parent at St. Raphael School I would to thank the teachers and principal for the loving caring environment they have created for my children. My children come home excited about what they have learned during the day. They have become well mannered God loving people. Thank you teachers and Mrs. Brzezinski.

Posted May 17, 2013

My child attends St. Raphael and we couldn't have placed her in a better school. The teachers we've had so far are wonderful. The class sizes are very good and I love that everyone knows each other. I plan on having my daughter attend all the way through the 8th grade. I will say I agree with the one comment about the principal lacking enthusiasm. It's amazing how much that position impacts an entire school.

Posted May 8, 2013

As the proud principal of St. Raphael I would like to invite you to come and take a tour of our school. Our school has an incredible staff that extend themselves beyond the school day. We have many activities after school that go beyond the sports program (Art Club, Knitting Club, Service Club, Math Lab, Choir and next year Drama). Our students take on an active role in their school's improvement with the Student Council and Peer Mediators. They also run a school store and with the money they make decide how to bring more technology in the school. We have a wonderful community of families who share in the partnership of education. Come and experience the St. Raphael Difference!

Posted May 8, 2013

Our children attended St. Raphael School. Many times they called from college and urged me to share with our students that they were using information and skills that they learned while attending St. Raphael. Teachers know students from alternate grades on a first name basis. Regularly, Fr. Ray stops in classrooms to ask the children what they are learning, and how they are doing. Teachers come early and stay after the "official" day has ended to help students. We care about our students!

Posted July 10, 2012

I went to this school for first grade in 2004 before I moved. I don't know if Ms. Hammer is still teaching there but she was awesome! I just didn't like the mass. It was really boring sitting there for two hours on a Wednesday morning. Also, my big buddy was awesome! Jordan Rocks!!

Posted July 14, 2010

Improvements are sorely needed in some of the academic areas for 6th - 8th grade. Administration, as well as teachers would benefit in a refresher course or in-service on basic courtesy, character building, and consistency.

Posted August 15, 2006

It was the single best thing we did to get our 5 year old daughter excited about school. Fantastic pastor in Father Scott and a fantastic school staff from the office staff to the teachers!

Posted December 6, 2005

Parental Status-two kids alumni of St. Raphael, both moved on to successful academic careers, one kid remains at St. Raphael. Teachers-superb quality in lower grades, too much turnover in grades 7/8. Content-usually slightly to dramatically ahead of public schools. Academic demand on students- rigorous,again expectations and grading scales beyond local public schools, but like most private schools, does not provide much curricular flexibility especially in higher grades. Does integrate public school special needs resources to an extent. Atmosphere-safe disciplined and oriented like a functional family. My kids are/were known by staff. Little to no tolerance for acting out behavior. Spirituality-well grounded and integrated in lower grades. Fades a bit in 7/8. Technology-beginning to be established but still behind some local public schools. Sports/extracurricular- second to none. Parental involvement-second to none. It should eb noted that the school has made an effort to reduce 'fundraisers' Principal/Admin- Highly supportive pastor. Innovative new principal. Physical Plant- Only real negative- 50 year old buildings.

Posted December 8, 2004

Mrs.Sikorsik is the coolest teacher ever! friday lunch moms rock!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 5, 2004

Let me start by saying that St. Raphael had a profound impact on my life. I graduated in 2000, and from there went on to attend high school at Divine Child. I am now in my first semester at MSU studying Criminal Justice. However, i most likely would not be here today if i hadn't attended St. Raphael. St. Raphael did a wonderful job at preparing me for high school. At St. Raphael I learned all of the important skills that enabled me to thrive. I admit that when i was there, I may have found it to be a bit strict and at sometimes difficult, but it was well worth it in the long run. Also, from what i've heard, it's gotten even better in the past four years. The teachers are amazing, the moral standards are superb, and the school all-around is 100% worth the money. ~Scott
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 6, 2004

The education for this school is phenominal! what i do not agree with is the way the sports are held. I believe if a child wants to participate in a sport they should be able to do so. I believe it should be for children who's parents pay tuition to attend the school. Others, there is the city. I find it so amazing that you must meet a 'certain criteria' in someone's eyes to be able to participate in a sport. You want kids to do the right thing and be involved. If they have the ambition to take up a sport they should not have to be judged! the paying school children should all play! you make it work! so, when a child is not picked for a certain sport, he/she knows it is because they do not 'meet' your standards!

Posted September 6, 2004

St. Rapphael School is full of nice people. My child has gotten many wonderful friends. Some of the rules may go to far but most are fair. We are losing enrollment rapidly. In the sports program everyone gets to play. It is a wonderful school. Gives you a chance for a good Catholic education. My child is very happy there.

Posted September 6, 2004

I am a seventh grader at St. Raphael School and I am very happy here. All my teachers are nice. Our pastor Fr. Scott is the best. The sports they have are great and show you teamwork. It is just a great school and you should come here to get a good Catolic education!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 1, 2004

Well St.Raphael of Garden City Michigan is a great school. I am currently in the 7th grade at this school and this is an excellent school. The sports include: volleyball, football, cheerleading, basketball, and baseball/softball. The principal is new and she is the best. The teachers teach great and know what they are doing. If you might know but Father Scott (our church father) he is the greatest. He is making our school a better place than it already is. So if you would like to you should go to this school.
—Submitted by a student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 4% 19%
Multiracial 4% 2%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (734) 427-8895

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Detroit