Garden City, MI

St. Raphael School 1

Posted August 06, 2014
This school continues to decline, especially with the merging of St. Dunstan and St. Raphael parishes to make St. Thomas the Apostle. Both parishes are/were in considerable debt before merging. This is a sinking ship of a school. In five years, SRS has gone from 225 students down to around 125. Class sizes in the lower grades are in the single digits to teens. Principals come, work for a few years, get experience, then leave. The buildings and tiny gym are in disrepair. Teachers are compensated WAY below what other schools pay. If any Catholic schools want to stay open in this area, they have to merge and pool their resources.

Posted April 30, 2014
St. Raphael Catholic School has enthusiastic, exemplary teachers who work tirelessly to create an environment that fosters a love of learning.
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 19, 2013
I like this boy alvin in my class he's cute!!!!!!! I like this school especially our sports team is really good!

Posted July 22, 2013
Like most internet blogs, anyone can post anything whether it be true or false, critical or complimentary, just or unjust. Such is the case with the June 22 review. Contrary to what a disgruntled teacher posted, students receive the best academics and the best religious formation. The principal and staff strive to achieve their best in leadership and educational practices. They have only the best interests of the students in mind. The school facilities are constantly updated and refurbished, so the students feel safe and secure during their school day and after-school activities.

Posted June 02, 2013
We are very pleased with the education that our children are receiving at St. Raphael Catholic School. The principal and staff are very professional, high standard individuals. This reflects both in and outside the classroom. The environment of the school is safe, friendly and goal driven. Each child has the opportunity to attain academic success, to participate in CYO sports, and to attend supervised after school activities. I can see our children are growing in faith, knowledge and spirit daily because of Mrs. Brzezinski and staff.

Posted May 23, 2013
I think sending my children to St. Raphael Catholic school is definitely one of the best decisions we have made for our children's education and faith. Anyone that spends any amount of time at the school volunteering can see how hard Mrs. Brezezinski, works to make our school the best it can be for our children. There have been MANY improvements implemented into place in the last 4 years she has been our principal. She cares about our children. I appreciate her and the teachers at our school for all of the dedication.

Posted May 22, 2013
As a parent at St. Raphael School I would to thank the teachers and principal for the loving caring environment they have created for my children. My children come home excited about what they have learned during the day. They have become well mannered God loving people. Thank you teachers and Mrs. Brzezinski.

Posted May 17, 2013
My child attends St. Raphael and we couldn't have placed her in a better school. The teachers we've had so far are wonderful. The class sizes are very good and I love that everyone knows each other. I plan on having my daughter attend all the way through the 8th grade. I will say I agree with the one comment about the principal lacking enthusiasm. It's amazing how much that position impacts an entire school.

Posted May 08, 2013
As the proud principal of St. Raphael I would like to invite you to come and take a tour of our school. Our school has an incredible staff that extend themselves beyond the school day. We have many activities after school that go beyond the sports program (Art Club, Knitting Club, Service Club, Math Lab, Choir and next year Drama). Our students take on an active role in their school's improvement with the Student Council and Peer Mediators. They also run a school store and with the money they make decide how to bring more technology in the school. We have a wonderful community of families who share in the partnership of education. Come and experience the St. Raphael Difference!

Posted May 08, 2013
Our children attended St. Raphael School. Many times they called from college and urged me to share with our students that they were using information and skills that they learned while attending St. Raphael. Teachers know students from alternate grades on a first name basis. Regularly, Fr. Ray stops in classrooms to ask the children what they are learning, and how they are doing. Teachers come early and stay after the "official" day has ended to help students. We care about our students!

St. Raphael School