No rating

Anderson Elementary School

Public | K-2 | 406 students

Posted March 10, 2014

I really am happy with Anderson. I recently moved my child from one class to another, but Mrs. Watkins was supportive in this. She is very involved with daily student activities. There are great teachers there, as well : Ms. Wheeler and Ms. Jablonski, just to name a couple. Yes, the parents could be more involved, and that would make it a better school. However, everyone likes to co,plain rather than try to make things better.

Posted January 28, 2014

It is very sad that this school has such poor leadership. There are some great teachers who try really hard and really love the kids but they have no support. Parents are basically always wrong and even falsely accused of things. The principal only does what she wants and does not accept any suggestions. This school could be a much better place if it had a leader who had the kids best interest in mind. I know of seven families that live within a quarter of a mile from the school that send their kids to other Grand Blanc Schools.

Posted September 8, 2013

Thought it was a great school until I learned a teacher was reading "50 Shades of Grey" on the school bus for one of their field trips. Seems highly inappropriate for a Kindergarten teacher.

Posted June 30, 2013

It's a pretty good school. My child is happy, though the teacher last year, who teaches "Young Fives" is not very good with communicating back and forth. I am happy though with my child's education, though still young, and not learning anything difficult quite yet. Hoping for a better teacher this upcoming school year. I think the school is interactive and they make it fun for children to learn and participate, whether in the classroom, the library, or the cafeteria. The librarian knew my child by name, which I liked, and they do father/daughter dances, and mother/son picnics each year, which is great for the family to get involved.

Posted April 19, 2013

This is my son's third year at Anderson and I have been very pleased with every teacher he's had. Teachers have communicated with me in ways that worked well for me (email, etc.) and they talked with me to resolve problems. My son has thrived here. I haven't had any issues with the principal. I see many complaining that "parental involvement is not encouraged". The way I see it: if you're a parent who wants to be involved, then be involved. The end.

Posted February 18, 2013

I am rating Anderson Elementary a 3 because the many of the teachers are great. They are understanding if you have a child that needs extra help and attention. However, my family has been at the school for 5 years now (2 kids 3 years apart) and I can truly say that the principal there has no respect for the parents. If you offer to help but don't share her ideas you will not be welcome. She talks to the parents as if they are the children or uneducated. If you question her about what she is telling you she gets upset. I only allowed my youngest boy to go to the school because of the teachers. Since for the most part I don't have to have anything to do with the principal or the partnership (which is 100% run by the principal) I feel my younger son if learning a lot and enjoying his teacher and classmates. Or the three is for great teachers - but a horrible principal and partnership (PTA).

Posted May 15, 2012

First off my son is the in the kindergarten there, and his teacher is Mr. Riccobono. Mr. R has done a terrible job this year. I understand he has a classroom with a lot of high needs students, but he has dropped the ball on several occasions. He's unorganized, slow to unresponsive to emails, and always seems too rushed to have a conversation. His behavioral management in a classroom is unacceptable, as he does a lot of yelling. His daily citizenship grades that come home with the students is a poor tool for measuring behavior on a daily basis... All in all... if I knew what we were getting into with this guy we would have ran the other way. On top of that... I'm not pleased with the principal either. Mr. White... the custodian... HE ROCKS!!!!

Posted April 30, 2012

Anderson has a strong principal that is a great leader. When you ask her for help she is there for you. Anderson has wonderful teachers that care for the students and the school follows the state standards.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2012

This school has an overall wonderful staff, the teachers are great, the principal is great, and the support staff is great. I really like how the principal will take the time to come out of her office and interact with each classroom personally. My sons love her and so do I, I really love the fact that she puts the kids first.

Posted March 29, 2012

This school has wonderful teachers. Mr. Riccobono is a wonderful kindergarten teacher. I also like Mr. Nicholas (1st grade) and Mrs. Callahan, but I think all the teachers are good. The problem is the principal. I have not met a single parent or volunteer who liked her. Thank goodness when my kids were there, she was usually nowhere to be seen. I think Jodi ran things. The one good thing she did was to have the walking track built. It was because she wanted to keep the weight off,but it was good for the kids.

Posted November 5, 2010

The teachers at Anderson are outstanding. All of them are caring, warm and helpful. The principal, on the other hand is completely full of herself and takes her own agenda instead of doing what is important for the children.

Posted April 13, 2010

My Child has unfortuntely attentended this school for two years now and this is the last year, my daughter will not even start there. The Kindergarten teac her he had was great, caring and communicated well. 1st grade came and the problem have been horrible. The split class is a hrrible idea especially if you have a child with ADHD. The teachers don't have time to workwith the child and they give no ideas on how to help and the principle there is a joke. She doesn't care about the children or the parents and acts like we all owe her something. If you are thinking of putting your child in this school second and third guess that.

Posted October 4, 2009

Our school is friendly & warm at all times. It is a nice feeling to walk in & know that your child is in a warm & loving place when they aren't with you. The teachers are great & take care of our child like they are their own. Plus our school is very clean and well maintain thanks to the crew that we have working to make our school that way.

Posted September 3, 2009

So far so good! The principal does get involved and she does highly encourage parent involvement. There is room for improvement but the faculty all seem very involved and well qualified.

Posted September 18, 2008

The staff is friendly and cooperative, they really seem to care about the kids and their success. I always see smiling faces everytime I am there and I feel very confident leaving my daughter in their hands. They work with the family and encourage your participation in your childs education and development and give you many helpful tips on what you can work on with your child at home to help in their success.

Posted December 27, 2007

I have an Autistic Child that Attends Anderson Elementary School and I have been very disappointed in the principals ability to lead her school. She does not promote parent involvement. She does not get involved any more than she has to. I would not reccomend this school. We will be pulling our students and placing them elsewhere next school year. It is a shame that the school board does not get more involved.

Posted December 27, 2007

I am a partent with a special needs child at Anderson Elementary School. This school has been a great disappointment. The teachers are wonderful. But unfortunatley our principal lacks leadership skills and or concern for her students safety and well being. I encourage parents who are trying to decide if Anderson is the school for them to really do your research first maybe it will prevent your child from going through what my child has been through. We will be switching to Reid Elementary Next year.

Posted February 23, 2007

I have 2 kids in Anderson and in the fall my last daughter will go. I am extremely pleased with the school. The academic programs have far exceeded any expectation that I could have had. Each teacher that they have had has been caring, of good character, a wonderful role model. I love the full time Spanish teacher, the music and art teachers are so good, and I just love the gym teacher. The level of parent involvement is high. They strongly encourage all parents to get involved if at all possible. So if you are looking for a school, I know you won't be disappointed with Anderson, I know I wasn't.

Posted January 13, 2006

My child's teacher has surpassed my expectations. She is very friendly, approachable, and easy to talk to. We have frequent communication via email, which allows me to feel like an active participant in my child's education by staying on top of what's happening at school. She welcomes parental involvement. At times I have come to her with concerns and she has addressed them in a responsible and professional manner. My greatest concern is behavioral problems with particular students in my child's class, and while I know the teacher and school are addressing these issues on a daily basis, my child has unfortunately been impacted negatively by these less than positive influences. I would imagine that issues like this could arise in any classroom, however, so overall I am reasonably pleased with the manner in which my concerns are being addressed.

Posted November 28, 2005

I just love my child's teacher. She is very caring and concerned about my child's welfare. In addition she does a wonderful job meeting the needs of my child. She always has an open door and I am welcome in at any time. I have had such a wonderful experience with this school.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 13% 18%

• (810) 591-5833

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now