West MI Academy of Environmental Science

Charter | K-12 | 599 students

Living in Grand Rapids

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $124,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $635.

Sweep tile

Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I attened WMAES from 3rd Grade all the way up until I graduated. All of my siblings will graduate from WMAES. My little brother started there in kindergarten. This is theeeee bessssst school ever. The teachers are great, they never allowed us to give up. If we couldnt do something they strive to help us, giving up wasnt an option. They only want the best for us. When I was struggling with work in highschool my middle school teachers were even offering to help me on homework and help tutor me. I couldnt be more blessed to have been to such a great school. WMAES is definitely a great school all the way around. Im so happy my mom enrolled me there Thanks to all my Teachers & to the principal Mr.Morgan.

Posted Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I have two daughters who atten WMAES; One in Pre-K, the other in first grade. I can't even explain in words how much my family loves this school. Coming from a public school I see so many differences and improvemrnts in their education. My daughters both love science, technology, Spanish, and gym class. What we like most is that the teacher incorporate outdoor activities with each subject, including math and English classes! Outdoor activies intrigue my children which makes them more excited about learning new things. I love when they come home and tell me about their day! Sometimes, I even learn fun things from them that they've learned from their teachers and other classmates. I highly recommend this school! The WMAES staff is absolutely wonderful!

Posted March 9, 2014

my daugther has attended WMAES since 2nd grade. I moved her here from public school. She is now in 4th grade and loves everything about this school. I decided to try this school because my daughter had so many friends attending this school from her soccer team. The parents spoke highly of the school and how the students are so connected to the environment. This school has lots of hands on learning not just reading from text books all day. The students are challenged and able to explore the world right on the acres of the school grounds. One thing that I LOVE is powerschool. Every monday if you are signed up you get weekly emails about your students performance in the classroom. Its a total break down class by class assignment by assignment so you will now if you'e student did not turn something in. If your students grades do drop they attend what is called Academic Acceleration for more study time. They strive for success and keep the parents involved. I could have not picked a better school for my daughter. I encourage you to check it out for yourself if your interested. Every school is not for every student. One this I HATE is the paring lot at 745am am 237. ;/

Posted February 26, 2014

I attended W.M.A.E.S from 9th-12th grade. I played varsity sports there and loved all of my teachers. They are all friendly and welcoming. The staff cares about our education and helping us grow. The outdoors is amazing and very beautiful. Overall this is one of the best schools I ever attended.

Posted February 21, 2014

This is our 4th year with WMAES and we couldn't be happier with the school. The teachers and support staff are beyond AMAZING !! We are looking forward to the years to come!!

Posted February 19, 2014

This is our first year with WMAES and it has been a great one! Our daughters are blessed with phenomenal teachers who push them academically and care for them. I have witnessed their growth in so many way over the past 6 months. We appreciate the experiences for hands on learning and the unique opportunities the campus offers for outdoor learning. Can't wait to see how they grow with WMAES iin the following years!

Posted February 19, 2014

I enrolled my two children three years ago and they have greatly improved academically since their first year. This school is designed to keep kids and their families on track and engaged in the learning process. The hands-on approach is very refreshing and my kids love their teachers and look forward to going to school. So many fun and educational things to experience at WMAES!!!

Posted February 10, 2014

This schools allows children to explore science themes in the outdoors. Teachers work hard to ensure all students receive the benefits of a good education.

Posted February 10, 2014

After seven years in a traditional public school setting we decided that our out of the box thinker needed more! He needed to be challenged and encouraged to apply what he is learning through daily curriculum to other parts of his life. The staff at WMAES has surpassed our expectations and we thank them all for their hard work, dedication and compassion.

Posted February 8, 2014

Wmaes is a great school, I have 2 kids who attend and I am amazed on how much my kids have learned not just academically. I like that they learn about the environment, I never thought my kids would snow shoe at school what a great opportunity for them. Audrey Merriman 3rd and prek mom

Posted February 4, 2014

WMAES has created a learning environment where children can learn in a safe, structured, & creative setting. My son has improved greatly in his school work and study skills since beginning at WMAES. He also retains what he learns thanks to the hands on learning.

Posted February 4, 2014

My school is perfect for ALL my kids! With a kind, accepting student body, dedicated teachers, help for the struggling student, and opportunities to excel for a gifted student this school offers everything my family needs. Best of all, my kids get to enjoy it in an Eco-diverse, beautiful, 62 acre setting! I love the uniform policy, and the strict discipline makes me feel like I'm sending my kids to a safe place. This was not the most conveniently located school we could have chosen, but it has definitely been the BEST school we could have chosen for our family! I highly recommend this school to anyone!

Posted February 4, 2014

I am really impressed with all of the staff at WMAES. Everyone works together to educate our children not only in a classroom setting, but teaching real world skills that my child can use forever. If ever I have an issue or question it is handled immediately. My son loves everything about this school and his experience this far. We plan on staying a WMAES family until graduation. The ONLY negative thing I have to say is the parking lot could be bigger or have a better pick up /drop off set up. -- Amanda Kindergarten Mom

Posted February 4, 2014

I have multiple kids attending school here. It is a good school. I like the individual teachers the kids have had so far and love that they spend time outside! The elementary teachers are not great about updating the online parent portal, but they answer emails quickly. My only real problem with the school is the crazy use of summer school. My oldest was in 8th grade last year taking 9th grade classes with As and Bs, but they wanted him in summer school because his test score was low?!? In my opinion, kids that pass with As and Bs should NOT have to go to summer school!

Posted February 4, 2014

My daughter has flourished in this learning environment. The teachers are extremely in tune with the needs of the students. I love their focus on the environment, and emphasis on positive personal growth.

Posted February 3, 2014

I love this school. Where my child is great at a subject they challenge her even more so she's not bored. The teachers are great with parent teacher communication. When they have a concern I'm contacted and we work together to find a solution. I love how they teacher about gardening and other outdoor activities even in the winter there is snow shoeing. Most importantly they stick with their rules. They will not put up with kids disrespecting others. Karen kiss (Mother of a first grader)

Posted February 3, 2014

This school is fantastic! The teachers are amazing, and they all really honestly care about the students. The teacher/parent communication has been great! This is my sons second year there, and my family has been very happy! Beth Brace- kindergarten mom.

Posted February 3, 2014

I have been a parent at this school for six years and have experienced all three levels of education here (elementary, middle and high school) as well as special education provisions. My students have been thoroughly supported (they even initiated the special ed assessment for one of my children) in their academic learning. The after-school tutoring (with teachers, required any time a child is struggling with a topic and reassessed every two weeks) and small classes were key to my autistic child outgrowing her need for special ed. She's now a successful college freshman. My elementary-aged child is THRIVING after being held back a grade; I appreciate that they didn't just pass him along like so many other schools would. We love the environmental, hands-on, kids-outside, one-size-does-NOT-fit-all approach this school has. Communication was initially a struggle and family activities were lacking, but HUGE strides have been made in these areas. Parental involvement opportunities exist, but too few parents take advantage of them; it's making some progress and will only continue to improve. I highly recommend this school! (J. Gilman - 1st grade & alumnus parent)

Posted February 3, 2014

The teachers at this school are great. My daughter can be a bit of a handful at times and her teacher makes sure I am involved in knowing when she acts out, how she solves the problem and how my daughter reacts to that. I find this helpful. I like to know what goes on, which her teacher always informs me. Not just about the negatives either. I also love the family nights. My daughter gets so happy to show me her school and friends. The activities are always fun too. Jenna Engberg Mom of Saelyn Engberg (pre-k)

Posted February 1, 2014

I'm love WMAES! My friends are jealous of everything I get to do at school!

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

51 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

42 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

42 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

47 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

47 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

54 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

"68"%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 5% 18%

• (616) 791-7453

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now