Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted February 10, 2016
This is more than a school. This is a huge family. The staff care deeply for the students. What became the winning moment that made things clear for me, to send my children here?... The students. They come from all walks of life. They choose to embrace eachothers differences and support one another for who they are. There will never be enough words to exain what a Blessing this school is for my 10th grader and Kindergartner :)

Posted February 08, 2016
I love WMAES, the school is great, the staff is great and my daughter loves the opportunity to spend time outside learning about our environment! E. Fry, parent of 2nd grade student.

West Mi Academy Of Environmental Science 4

Posted November 13, 2015
There is no community at this school. It does not seem that parents are welcome in this school. Communication is very poor from this school. You get the feeling that if you have not been at this school since kindergarten you will not be in the "in crowd". The secondary principal is rude and arrogant. This is my daughters first year at WMAES and she is very happy. Her teachers are great and helpful getting her caught up from her previous school. She loves being able to go outside so much. This school would be one of the best out there if the administration was improved. Very conflicted at keeping my daughter here - she loves it but I am not fond of how it is run.

Posted September 11, 2015
My mom said I should be the one to review WMAES. I liked my friends and gym class. The food was horrible and most times I wouldn't eat. That's saying a lot because I will eat almost anything. My brother said it's jail food but he's never been to jail. Anyways, the teachers were sometimes mean. My math teacher in the 6th grade would just ignore me when I had a question. I would be standing right in front of him and he would be looking at his computer like I wasn't even there. It made me not want to ask him any questions but then I would get in trouble for not doing well in the class. I just started going to a new school and I like it so far. My teachers seem to be nice and I love the food. I don't have gym class yet but I have made lots of new friends. That's all

Posted May 05, 2015
Putting my children in WMAES was probably one of the worst decisions I have made as a parent. The worst part of this school is they do not provide school books. They hand out random worksheets that make it difficult to complete because they have nothing to reference. Math is the worst because there are little examples on these worksheets. The examples that are provided are from your child doing it in Class. So, if they have a hard time understanding it in class the examples are not any help. Like the parent below I have also noticed students being held back. But what I don't understand is if WMAES is such a wonderful school and they go out their way to help students succeed then why are so many students repeating grades? I believe WMAES could be more successful if they get rid of the middle school principal who is arrogant and very disrespectful. More importantly invest in some school books. I mean if they really care about their students. Positive note the elementary teachers are great!

Posted February 03, 2015
This is my last year as a parent at WMAES. After 16 years I have seen the bad and the good of this school. The good always has out weighed the bad for our family. It is not for everyone, there is no one perfect school for every child, for my two children it was the perfect fit and in June our youngest will graduate. I encourage all families to find the school that works for your child and make it your perfect school. My family was blessed to find WMAES and it is the perfect school for us, I like to think we helped make it perfect for us.

Posted October 22, 2014
This school is little more than a sub-par daycare. The children are not properly supervised on the playground and the 'technology' class is little more than playtime on a computer. I am amazed that this is considered a public school in line with traditional schools.

Posted October 01, 2014
As a parent of 2 children attending WMAES, I have been very pleased with our experience. The teachers have been very helpful, and encourage parents to be as involved as possible with academic achievements of students. With the accelerated curriculum, yes, it does get difficult for students at times- but there are many resources to help those students who are having a difficult time. I'm glad I chose WMAES for my children's education, and look forward to many more years!

Posted October 01, 2014
WMAES, unlike most schools, does not believe in SOCIAL PROMOTION. This is when students are passed on to the next grade level or progression of courses for the mere fact they are one year older. This eventually leads to students that cannot master grade level content and either drop out of school or are graduated from high school with under-developed skills that will not let them compete or even survive in today s society. This is the primary reason our education system has failed our children and WMAES wants nothing to do with it. Students are given the opportunity, at no financial cost, to attend summer school and catch-up with their fellow students at their grade level. Sometimes this works and other times it is just not enough time to catch the student up to grade level. Regardless, WMAES is making every effort to only promote students that are prepared to move to the next grade level with the needed academic skills to succeed. Kudo s to WMAES for doing the right thing.

Posted April 16, 2014
I attened WMAES from 3rd Grade all the way up until I graduated. All of my siblings will graduate from WMAES. My little brother started there in kindergarten. This is theeeee bessssst school ever. The teachers are great, they never allowed us to give up. If we couldnt do something they strive to help us, giving up wasnt an option. They only want the best for us. When I was struggling with work in highschool my middle school teachers were even offering to help me on homework and help tutor me. I couldnt be more blessed to have been to such a great school. WMAES is definitely a great school all the way around. Im so happy my mom enrolled me there Thanks to all my Teachers & to the principal Mr.Morgan.

West Mi Academy Of Environmental Science
4463 Leonard Street Northwest, Grand Rapids, MI  49534
Last modified West Mi Academy Of Environmental Science is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.