Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted November 20, 2015
It depends on the teacher. Some teachers are great at East GR and other should not be working with children.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted November 20, 2015
The schools employees blame the victims of bullies and coddle bullies. As long as your parents are involved in the schools, and since most mother's don't work in East GR, the school employees will side with you.

East Grand Rapids High School 1

Posted November 20, 2015
I came to Live in East Grand Rapids because I wanted my child to go to a good school. I was insulted by the secretary because I could not make the day to pick up school schedules since I have to work. I was asked if I lived in East GR as if I could not afford to live there. My child is being bullyed by other children whose parents are more involved in the schools. The school social worker blamed my child for complaining. This same thing happened in the Wealthy Elementary. I am pulling my child out of East Grand Rapids School and putting them into a private school. I will not tolerate my child being treated like this.

East Grand Rapids High School 5

Posted October 07, 2015
As a former student and a current parent, I'm thrilled with the EGR schools. I was more than prepared for college when I attended and tested out of all Freshman requirements because the teachers had prepared me so well. When we moved back to East as an adult it was for the schools and we could not be happier. We lived on both coasts prior to the move to EGR and our kids had to struggle to catch up to their peers at East but with the hands-on teachers here, they did and now thrive. The community may be the biggest selling point to EGR. Sidewalks, a darling, walkable downtown, beautiful facilities and a small town that cares about your kid are all advantages you won't get at nearby schools. Whenever we meet kids from other schools they say they wish they had the community East does. Yes, EGR has a reputation of being full of rich kids - I find this funny having lived in hedge fund towns, but there is really a lot of financial diversity here.

East Grand Rapids High School 1

Posted May 26, 2015
We relocated our family to East Grand Rapids when my kids were of Elementary school age.The two main reasons for this decision included that the community appeared to be safe and the schools were thought of as excellent. This has proven to be the worst decision we have ever made. I can not come up with anything positive to say about EGR's schools other than the dedication of a handful of teachers. The Administration should be ashamed of themselves! Now that we've experienced all three schools (Wealthy Elementary, EGR Middle School and EGR High School) I completely agree with the previous parent's post (Oct. 14, 2014) in that this district DESPERATELY needs house cleaning. They make their own rules, hand out the discipline of their choosing, deny students any learning in working through problems with everyone involved when an issue occurs. Those acting in charge, choose to deal with whichever illegal activity they see fit. They fail miserably in communication. Actually working through issues and doing what is best for the student is something foreign to the leaders in charge in EGR. Bullying is a major issue that one of my children has experienced at all three school levels. All three schools failed to deal with this, although I will say that at least those in charge at Wealthy and the Middle School admittted that it was an issue. Sadly, I am guessing that the funding is not allocated to any areas of emotional intelligence. The 'Be Nice' campaign doesn't appear to spread to the students. I would guess that this is just an in-service for which the teachers must attend & complete for compliance sake. I would never, ever, send my kids to EGR schools! In fact, we will not be returning to this school system. We have elected to pull our children out. Legally speaking, the school system has some things that need adressing and this is currently underway.

Posted October 14, 2014
The school district and high school administration needs house-cleaning. They are not transparent yet portray a fa ade of getting input from the community on school issues (but have already made a decision). Classic case in point is their effort to get community feedback from focus groups and online surveys about which programs to scale back or cut when budgets were dwindling. The community overwhelmingly wanted a multi-building elementary principal (currently each of the three elementary schools have a principal). The community strongly opposed cutting the elementary foreign language program. The administration did not take the community s (taxpayers!) wishes and did what they wanted. This is one example of many.

Posted September 29, 2014
As a parent of a student who graduated in the past few years, I can shed a not-so-favorable light on the high school. 1) The district is not progressive. Other surrounding districts are miles ahead with project-based learning, foreign language immersion, and experiential learning programs. EGR rests on its tradition and it s always been this way and it works . Innovation is not something the district seeks out. If parents have suggestions or ideas for programs, they most likely will get a canned response centering around why something won t work. 2) The administration is not flexible, rarely making policy in the BEST INTEREST OF THE STUDENT. Take AP classes as an example. If your student signs up for an AP class and realizes a week into the semester that she/he should not be at AP level, the counseling office WILL NOT allow a change to another class. Instead of looking out for what is best for the student, the administration is more concerned about touting that the high school has the largest percentage of AP student participants. The self-esteem impact, not to mention the damage on the GPA, is devastating.

Posted March 24, 2014
A good school when it comes to teachers but when it comes to drugs and alcohol its not very secure there are drugs all over the place and they dont really do much to keep them out. the vice principal and principal are not very friendly they insult both students and parents. if you are moving to east grand rapids dont go somewhere else it is a horrible area to grow up in my life is literally miserable here i have gone here since kindergarten the social structure is very self centered the kids are mean you make one mistake reputation gone, friends gone......

East Grand Rapids High School 3

Posted July 09, 2013
The messages surrounding the school and mottos that were created in previous years had good intentions, but the current school is a shadow of its former glory. The teachers have 10 year contracts; consequently, they don't uphold themselves to the "academic excellence" that our school supposedly stresses. Far more of the extra budget is directed at athletics rather than maintaining quality classrooms and teachers. If the average ACT score, which all Michigan students are required to take in conjunction with the MME, hovers around the national average, how can we possibly claim superiority? Furthermore, the mission statement of the district is "Educating and inspiring each student to navigate successfully in a global community", yet K-12 spanish and many other programs such as elementary art are being cut, while the athletic facilities continue to be renovated. I understand that hard economic times call for desperate measures, but I think we should keep in mind that 30 years from now, it is the innovations that we will be creating to stop global warming and public health issues that will matter, not how much weight we lifted in the overly- grandiose gym at football practice.

East Grand Rapids High School 4

Posted February 21, 2013
EGR is a small affluent insular 'tight-knit' community. Every September its schools system receive well above average intellectual & emotional raw material. It's no surprize educating this population is easy, since it comes from stable structured homes w/ capable & caring white collar professionals for parents, most w/ professional degrees. Parents expect - demand a better school public system. Predictably, test scores are above average & college placement is a given. The teachers & administrators are unionized, but wouldn't dream of striking, there are no gangs. Parents & their ordered households deserve the credit for the resulting academic achievement. (swap classroom from an outlying community & compare test results after 1 semester...) Arguably, EGR (& its school system) is not reality & leaves students unexposed to (& unprepared) for the real world.

2211 Lake Drive Southeast, Grand Rapids, MI  49506
Last modified East Grand Rapids High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Grand Rapids High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top