Grand Rapids, MI

Posted March 23, 2015
We really love the community feel of the school. The Principal (Ms. Jones) has established an excellent atmosphere that has trickled down to the staff and students. The school is dedicated to the Montessori method and they simply go above and beyond to help student succeed. We almost sent our kids to Kentwood but after receiving a tour from Ms. Jones, we were sold on the school. The only thing we would change if possible is having our own building and not sharing the secondary building with another high school. GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted November 13, 2014
We are also out of district, It was an exceptional option for our kindergarten. Expect a challenge.

Posted December 11, 2013
I must say that having relocated from another state to GR we made a purposeful choice to enroll our child in GR Montessori. While the building is old and is in need some improvements, it does NOT reflect upon the school. It is very well run. The principal and vice principal are very approachable and professional. The teachers go above and beyond for every student and parent. Our child is LD and the IEP process is stress free! The teachers listen to our concerns and create realistic goals for our child. We couldn't be happier. Also, the parent organization is a great group of people who have made our transition to the Midwest wonderful. They are very active in supporting the school with meetings and fundraisers and are just a fun group. The only reason that I didn't give it 5 stars is that the office secretary is not as professional as the administration and faculty. She is very rude and highly unorganized. But don't let that stop you from looking into this school. You won't regret it.

Posted August 19, 2013
Excellent teachers and well behaved kids who get along with each other across wide age groups. This school is nicely diverse and has a creative community. Self directed learners. my son and daughter love to go to school. I recommend taking a tour to see the classrooms in action.

Grand Rapids Montessori Public School 1

Posted May 03, 2013
The Principal (Queen Jones) is awful, she is mean and rude and not friendly. The sec retary (ms harris) has an amazing personality and really fits in well. Just wish the principal would support the staff and teachers. Children do better with rules and structure. Jones has none. She brushes off parent concerns and student issues. I wish they would get a new principal. The assistant principal is no help either. No dicipline!!

Grand Rapids Montessori Public School 3

Posted August 28, 2011
My child use to go here, until the Superintendant fired all of the Montessori Certified teachers Jr High and up. Now the Montessori children had non-certified teachers. I would have loved to keep my child there for HS, but if you cannot keep the system running as it was meant to be, then so be it. The elementary school is still an AA+++ Teacher cert system.

Posted January 13, 2009
I have had four children in this program, one has graduated, and one is currently a junior. Two transfered to another specialty school. This is an amazing program that has been offered to public school children. Hands on learning that has equipped my children for a real future. It has sensitized them to a global community and enabled them to be a functioning part of it. Even, a catalyst for change!

Posted December 07, 2008
I have two students in the GR Montessori program, and a 3rd who graduated. All three thrived with the multi-level classes, a 3 year cycle which allows them to learn by observation and being mentored (1st yr), develop their own learning and guiding styles(2nd yr), and becoming mentors and leaders (3rd yr). Montessori 7th-12 grades are very collaborative and students develop the ability to work together and independently in a collegiate or professional manner that translates well into college and the work world. We have experienced strong fostering of inner self-motivation into lifelong skills. This academic experience focuses on process oriented learning, rather than the test result oriented norm, which does a disservice to parents seeking the best for their child through test results per school or district. Test scores are only a small part of assessing the best educational experience and opportunity for individual success.

Posted October 13, 2008
I've been in the Montessori program for 6 years now, and I cannot imagine being in any other school. We have the best teachers and the classes allow us to learn at our own pace rather than at the teachers speed. I love Montessori and I will miss it when I graduate. I really wish that people could see Montessori for what it really is rather than just making on-the-spot judgments. These past 6 years have been the best of my life and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Posted June 18, 2008
I would like to hear more about your schools.

Grand Rapids Montessori Public School
159 College Avenue Northeast, Grand Rapids, MI  49503
Last modified Grand Rapids Montessori Public School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grand Rapids Montessori Public School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top