Grand Rapids, MI

Union High School 1

Posted March 16, 2012
PARENT/ALUMNI REVIEW My husband and I are GRPS grads (Union '99 and Creston '95 respectively), and it is because of our experiences at the secondary schools that we homeschool. Despite taking honors classes and having a handful a caring teachers/coaches, every day was "Lord of the Flies". It certainly shaped my adolescent years for the worse. There were fights at least once a week. The halls were so crowded that you'd get pushed into fights already in progress. No respect from students, and the staff was apathetic to it all (can't blame them!). As adults, we wouldn't put up with kind of behavior from our co workers. Why should our kids be subjected to this? Not much has changed in 10 years. When I was helping my husband coach, I walked the halls between classes and the behavior was atrocious. It was like watching animals in rut. The feeder schools are putting out poverty stricken, illiterate, socially/financially dependent young citizens. In my opinion it starts at home. The parents (many who are GRPS alumni) lack a moral compass and value system to pull themselves out of poverty and regain middle class values. If you care about your child's education, look elsewhere.

Union High School 3

Posted September 02, 2008

Union High School 4

Posted March 18, 2008

Posted February 15, 2008
Well i would just like to say that i really love Union High School...I've been there since freshman year and i plan on graduating from that school..when Mr.Shalhoup came in and took charge I immediatly knew that our school was going to change for the good...I really do enjoy going to school..for me they have a good system..when something that doesnt seem right to us, or to the staff Mr.Shalhoup has a meeting about it and explains to each class and i personally enjoy hearing whats going on at our school..its not a 'bad' school as many people of the community see it..I should know,Since I attend UHS. The school itself is not bad, just those few kids is what ruins our name.

Union High School
1800 Tremont Boulevard Northwest, Grand Rapids, MI  49504
Last modified Union High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top