Grand Rapids, MI

Union High School 1

Posted March 16, 2012
PARENT/ALUMNI REVIEW My husband and I are GRPS grads (Union '99 and Creston '95 respectively), and it is because of our experiences at the secondary schools that we homeschool. Despite taking honors classes and having a handful a caring teachers/coaches, every day was "Lord of the Flies". It certainly shaped my adolescent years for the worse. There were fights at least once a week. The halls were so crowded that you'd get pushed into fights already in progress. No respect from students, and the staff was apathetic to it all (can't blame them!). As adults, we wouldn't put up with kind of behavior from our co workers. Why should our kids be subjected to this? Not much has changed in 10 years. When I was helping my husband coach, I walked the halls between classes and the behavior was atrocious. It was like watching animals in rut. The feeder schools are putting out poverty stricken, illiterate, socially/financially dependent young citizens. In my opinion it starts at home. The parents (many who are GRPS alumni) lack a moral compass and value system to pull themselves out of poverty and regain middle class values. If you care about your child's education, look elsewhere.

Union High School 5

Posted February 15, 2008
Well i would just like to say that i really love Union High School...I've been there since freshman year and i plan on graduating from that school..when Mr.Shalhoup came in and took charge I immediatly knew that our school was going to change for the good...I really do enjoy going to school..for me they have a good system..when something that doesnt seem right to us, or to the staff Mr.Shalhoup has a meeting about it and explains to each class and i personally enjoy hearing whats going on at our school..its not a 'bad' school as many people of the community see it..I should know,Since I attend UHS. The school itself is not bad, just those few kids is what ruins our name.

Posted January 09, 2008
I was at first 'iffy' about the new principle they pulled in, unlike most students, I actually care about school. Shalhoup was quite a surprise. He earned the name 'The Godfather' for a reason. During assemblies, if a kid is disrespectful for even a second, he/she is escorted out and most of the time suspended. This kind of discipline is what Union needed. Most of the teachers are really great, some seem like they could care less (but who could blame them when their students feel the same?). The only problem I see with the school in general is that, being interested in arts, there aren't enough advanced art classes (or teachers) to help me further my skills.

Posted November 08, 2007
The quality of Union High School has increased tenfold in the past year. The current principal is dedicated to putting quality and community back into Union High School and it shows in the classroom, in the hallways, in extracurricular activities. I am a parent volunteer at the school, active in PTO, Athletic Boosters, and Band Boosters - which all have dedicated and enthusiastice members. Look for good things to come as it expands it's curriculum oppor-tunities, especially in the arts; through various grants, awards, and donations the school has recently recieved.

Posted April 18, 2007
i use to go to union and there is no issues with it. i actually really like the school. there is great people there and i miss it.

Posted July 02, 2006
I feel that this school's overall quality in GENERAL has decreased over the last few years. There are only a few good teachers, most of the staff don't do their work. I see little to no support for students. There aren't many choices in art programs. Administrators don't know how to handle problems. Students behave in bad ways ( I feel parents are to blame for student's behavior, though).

Posted May 10, 2006
I think there are many passionate teachers there, I for one graduated from Union and I wouldn't trade my four years there for anything. The staff treat you with the same attitude and respect that you treat them. And you wonder why your child isn't respected there, maybe they should change their attitude. Talk to the teachers, find out what the problem is instead of just blaming them.

Posted May 02, 2006
this is the worst school i have ever seen they don't care for the students at all there is to much favortism among staff and students. the rate of crimes in this school is unbeleivable although the school staff would never admit to it,there are a few very good teachers here that care but not enough to make a difference, the vice principle and some other staff have their favorite students and tend to forget the others or single out students and harasse them throughout the year

Union High School 5

Posted December 14, 2005
i attended this school for all 4 years of my high school career. i'll admit that coming into the school from a small catholic school was rather intimidating but once you find your spot, you're fine! i wouldn't give my experience at union for the world, it is an excellent school, but you do get out of it what you put into it... if you don't try to do well, you won't to be quite honest

Posted October 18, 2005
I am a former 5 year student of this school. The first year that I started at that school, I didn't think it was all that bad. Then the next school year wasn't that great but not the horrible year. I thought my junior year was the worst school year of all. Then my fourth year wasn't that bad, then the fifth year seemed kind of bad. I do not think that the administrators enforce the rules at this school.

Union High School
1800 Tremont Boulevard Northwest, Grand Rapids, MI  49504
Last modified Union High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top