Grand Rapids, MI

South Christian High School 2

Posted July 25, 2013
South Christian is excellent academically, but in my experience it was incredibly conservative and closed-minded. This isn't necessarily the school's fault--it tends to attract students from well-off and conservative families, which dictates the policies. SCHS science courses taught me that evolution is unbiblical and that stem cell research is unethical. There was no grey area or area for debate, it was simply "wrong". I was a student at the time of the 2008 presidential election, and students openly used racial slurs or other degrading language toward our president-elect. The only student in my four years to come out as a homosexual was publicly ridiculed, with no repercussions toward those who shouted insults in CHAPEL. What an example of showing Christ's love, right?

Posted February 05, 2013
I graduated from South Chr. High School and sent all 8 of my children through this school. I believe the level of education is excellent and the care and concern of the teachers can't be topped. At South Chr. you are a person, not just a number. The teachers and staff care about the students. They don't just let you graduate if you're not ready - they make sure you are ready. I would highly recommend South Chr. High School to anyone looking for a private education for their children. It's worth every penny.

Posted February 05, 2013
I graduated from South Christian, and 5 of my 6 kids graduated from there. My 6th is currently a sophomore. While not everything is perfect (because no place this side of heaven is) it is over all a great school. It gave a good foundation for living out your faith in the world. There are many opportunities for kids to get involved - no matter what their gifts or talents are. And it provides an excellent education - which is most important!

South Christian High School 4

Posted November 29, 2012
I graduated from South in 2010 and it has set a critically important foundation for my life. Even though I'm into my third year of college, I'm still in contact with many of the teachers and friends from South. George Guichelaar became principal just after I left, but he is a fantastic leader. He is wise, and balances truth and grace beautifully. South was provided opportunities for me to go above and beyond in my classes, and were flexible in letting me explore my potential by taking harder classes online. Great school and great people who really care about students.

South Christian High School 4

Posted November 28, 2012
I am a South Christian Alumni and am incredibly grateful for the education I received. I was pushed to try things I wasn't immediately good at, and was given a lot of help along the way. The teachers knew their material really well and did a great job of preparing me for college. The were also many high quality extra-curriculars offered. However, the social and administrative environments seemed rather closed minded. There was not much discussion between groups, but rather a one sided assertion of beliefs from the majority. This problem is something that can't be changed immediately, so I am glad to see some recent progress being made toward becoming a more open minded and accepting school. However, more work is needed in this department. Overall though, I would say it is a great school academically and spiritually, and I would love to send my kids there one day.

Posted November 28, 2012
As a former student, I was quite surprised when I read those past reviews. I have never witnessed a teacher favoring any student, nor have I ever seen students of a different race, nationality, hair color, etc. ever picked on because of their differences. In fact, as a Junior in college planning to attend medical school, I could not have been happier with South Christian and the role they played in developing my character, confidence, and academic ability, from a Christian perspective. The academics are more challenging at South than at most high schools, but I found that when I entered college I was more prepared and adapted more quickly than most of my new classmates that attended different high schools. I also had a chance to get to know the faculty at South and I could not have been more impressed with them and their concern for students, even beyond the classroom. I highly recommend this high school to anyone looking for a school that values their students, whether it be academics, athletics, or anything else.

South Christian High School 1

Posted May 31, 2011
Yeah the school has a decent academic program but if you don't have a secure financial background (meaning quite well off) don't bother going to this school. They teach everyone is equal but the teachers favor students, the popular and more well off students. Diversity, forget about it here. I've known a few black kids that went there and got picked on daily because of the color of their skin. This school is not what it appears to be.

South Christian High School 2

Posted March 11, 2011
I am a current student at this school. Academically speaking, athletically speaking, and in nearly all other extra curricular activities, South is an excellent school. I give South a bad rating because of the feel of the school. The administration at South enforces needless rules with no effect. I was forbidden from wearing fake glasses, dancing at dances are very sexual, and the administration is biased in whom they choose to punish for dress code violation. This is an excellent school, but the administration, which was recently redesigned, needs to get its act together before I can suggest it as a place to send your child.

South Christian High School 0

Posted July 10, 2009
I was a student from south christian for 4 years, and went through a christian 'feeder' school; cutlerville. I loved south & everything in it - teachers, classes, students, everything. It was a great place to grow up. I will miss it! Class of '09!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 17, 2007
South Christian High School provides an outstanding Christian based education for the students. The parents are heavily involved in extra-curricular activities and the sports programs have a reputation of excellence with several state championships since 2000.The vast majority of students are high performers in academics and most go on to college. Grading currently is a bit tougher than surrounding schools, in that it takes 2-4 points higher scores to attain similar grades. Highly recommended for just the right amount of Christian integration, academics and sports!

South Christian High School
160 68th Street Southwest, Grand Rapids, MI  49548
Last modified South Christian High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Christian High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top