School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Our school is best known for our Reggio Emilia inspired approach. The mission of the GRCDC is to continuously expand the potential of children, the experiences of educators and the involvement of parents within the diverse community of Grand Rapids, MI. The vision is to base all decisions on the principles of Reggio-Emilia incorporating current research on learning as well as developmentally appropriate practice. It is a wonderful community & place -- we think you'll love it here!
January 24, 2015

Bad
Good

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted January 24, 2015

Posted April 29, 2010
My son has attended this school since he was a toddler, as they have an infant/toddler and preschool program. He is entering the fourth grade this fall, and LOVES going to school here. They utilize the Reggio Emilia approach, which is far more engaging for the children than traditional education. If your child requires a ton of structure, it may not be for you, but most kids will thrive in this environment. Check it out, as it is unlike any other in Grand Rapids. Most of the teachers here are exceptional!

Grand Rapids Child Discovery Center

Posted February 05, 2010
The teacher's are sufficient but the school lacks quality leadership. While the school promotes diversity, the administration is unable to understand the varied cultural differences. My child made social progress but failed miserably on the MEAP. Prior to attending this school his MEAP scores were great but his social skills were lacking. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 25, 2008
This school is amazing! The philosophy at this school encourages children to be explorers, to collaborate with classmates, and to become their own problem solvers. My son is highly motivated to go to school everyday. He is learning about different environments (ocean, desert, urban, etc.) communication techniques, keeping a journal (which he writes in everyday). And he's only in kindergarten! Most importantly he is becoming more confident in himself. I have seen him blossom in ways I wasn't expecting. I could go on and on. I am very happy with the Child Discovery Center.

Posted August 08, 2007
Our family loves this school! The teachers are amazing, the unique Reggio Emilia approach to learning is condusive to the real world and my children just love Stripes the cat. There is so much to love about this school - for a complete list of the Discovery Center philosophy and guiding principles go to their website today.

Grand Rapids Child Discovery Center 4

Posted March 19, 2007
I really like the hands approach at this school. My daughter loves school, and that means so much to me, as I was a drop out. She has so much fun, and learns real life concepts, as well as the 'book' work. It is a very diversified school. For the number of students, and the approach to education, I think the staff does very well. Whenever I have a concern, no matter how big or small, it is ALWAYS handled immediately. A very family oriented school. Every teacher seems to know every student, and every student seems to know every teacher, by name. I really appreciate how they try to help my child grow into a wonderful woman she will all too soon become.

Posted August 20, 2005
I have had a very positive experience with the Child Discovery Center. The Reggio Emilia curriculum is an ideal way for the young child to be introduced to the educational field in that it fosters a sincere desire to learn in the child. I like how Art is incorporated into the daily curriculum instead of as a once a week class and I also appreciate the Spanish Language component of the school. Diversity is more then just a nebulous concept to our family. My husband and I truly want our children to experience diversity in a city that is somewhat racially stratified. The Discovery Center has helped us meet this goal in a positive and meaningful way. The staff at this school has been wonderful and supportive from the top down. Our family is very happy to be a part of this school family.

Grand Rapids Child Discovery Center
409 Lafayette Avenue Southeast, Grand Rapids, MI  49503
Last modified Grand Rapids Child Discovery Center is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.