Grand River Prep School

Charter | 9-12 | 611 students

Posted July 24, 2014

This school is sure to keep students on track. Although the work does get pretty stressful from time to time, I am confident that it will all pay of in the end and will get me college ready. The teachers are great and are always there to help and understand.

Posted June 22, 2014

Constant bullying, teachers don't realize anything. Hallways are so crowded, in those 5 minutes nobody has the time to even go to the bathroom. All the kids wearing the exact same things, no creativity allowed. If you're even a second late for a class you get detention. The staff at the school care more about dress codes than anything else. A lot of the teachers really don't know how to teach, all the good teachers are gone. This school used to be great. The kids here are so stressed out from their homework, there is absolutely no school spirit at all. You get suspended from not finishing your homework, SUSPENDED. Is that really necessary? If you want your kids to have a good high school experience and be excited for college, this is not the place. It sucks all the fun and spirit out of the students, and turns them into working zombies. Not everybody's book smart, but they are all basically forced to be at this school. There is 15 minutes of lunch, 5 minutes between classes, absolutely no time to socialize at all. To be prepared for life, there needs to be more things at this school other than strict rules and tons of work. Want to have good high school memories? Not the place.

Posted June 7, 2014

This school, as other reviews reflect, has gone downhill over the years. Very little consistency in faculty from year to year, due to better opportunities (and higher pay) elsewhere has led to a lack of experienced teachers. The rules are at times oppressive, classes are overcrowded (as are the hallways), and school spirit is virtually non-existent. Grand River only garners a ranking of two stars for academic rigor, which is consistent with its college preparatory mission. However, BE WARNED: while many AP classes are offered, starting next school year many will only be available online, an experience I personally DO NOT recommend. The school also deserves kudos for providing a laptop for every student, as well as tutoring services twice a week free of charge. Overall, better than the traditional Grand Rapids Public Schools, but worse than many other school districts/ private schools. (P.S. I'm a Junior who's been here all 3 of my high school years.)

Posted May 9, 2014

I've been a student here for four years. At first it was enjoyable. There were actually about 16 students per teacher, but they began to intake so many during the years here that they were not ready for. In the beginning they had awesome teachers. Not only were they really good at teaching, but they were young and professional. Like many reviews here say, they left. Out of the original teachers here, there are maybe 5% left. The good about the school...honestly I can't even think of one thing. It has all gone over the years. At GRP, one tardy=detention, a missing assignment=suspension, there are very harsh uniform laws (yeah not rules, LAWS), the lunches we had in kindergarten are the same we get here, hallways are often full, musty, hazy, polluted, and nasty smelling, we only get 5 minutes between classes, which would be alright, but the halls are so full that it's hard, homework is overbearing, there are few sports programs, limited bathroom passes, some teachers are scared of students, and it is turning into a prison. Don't get me wrong. We have some wonderful teachers but not as many, and the good ones always leave for better jobs. Don't attend. You'll regret it. Everyone does.

Posted May 2, 2014

When i started school here i was happy, but over these past 7 months of school, i've noticed that a lot of the staff could care less about our education. The school cares more about the uniform than helping the students. Maybe if we had a little more freedom with what we wear, they'd focus more on teaching us valuable things. Some of the teachers do care about the students, but some really don't. And noticing that a lot of kids here are depressed can be explained too; people are getting bullied all the time, the teachers don't notice it anyways. I wouldn't advise sending your kid here.

Posted February 12, 2014

This school pays off, all you need is a your orange jump suit, and a backpack. And you are prepared for college and all it throws at you. Plus, the homework here makes the homework during college years so easy. Great school, good teachers, and alright students.

Posted January 24, 2014

I was exicted to come to Grand River Prep this summer and now I'm exicted to leave.This school does everything it can to make it seem perfect but it's not it's far from it. If you wanna get a real honest opinion listen to someone that walks the halls everyday.I see stress in my peers faces every morning,probably from the hours of homework and studying they did the night before. There is no school spirit and I've only been here five months but i've never heard a single student say they are proud to be here. I'm only in 9th grade but this school is taking a toll on my high school expirence. There's so many harsh rules. I don't mind rules but some are pretty harsh. This school is turning into a Ottawa Hills or Union. That's a nice way of putting it. Some of the teachers are nice but they aren't necessarily teaching to the best of their ability. I've noticed that alot of teachers have only taught at GRP less than 2 years. Teachers are starting to find better jobs.Overall I don't advise you to come here. I'm regretting it.

Posted January 22, 2014

This is my first year in highschool. This summer I begged my mom to come to Grand River Prep. Now I beg her to let me switch.This school seems like a perfect school on the outside but you sometimes gotta ask someone that walks the halls everyday. It's not perfect it's far from it. There's so much stress in students faces from the hours of studying and homework they did the night before. There are some very nice teachers but most don't really teach to the best of their abilitys.Most of the staff have only been here for maybe two or three years at the most there are tons of brand new staff workers this year because the old ones are finding better places. Some students are very nice but most are not. It's becoming more like a Ottawa Hills or Union. There are very harsh rules, I don't mind the rules but some are just unfair and very harsh. Kids are making out in the halls. It's gross. The grading system is different they base it on test grades so if you fail a few tests in a subject you basically fail the class.People are down when they come to school in the morning. There's no school spirt.I've only been here 5 months but I've never heard anyone once say GRP is a great school.

Posted January 19, 2014

From the reviews, you can see this school is getting worse over the years. This is my first year here and before I went to this school I was excited to start high school here. My opinion changed the first week, a large majority of the students at Grand River don't care about their education. Most of the staff seem scared of the kids and act as if they don't see the many problems. The teachers however do care about you're education, but they don't teach in a way that keeps us focused. I understand that the staff wants us to learn as much as we can in a school day, but all we do is learn. All the "fun" happens after school. We have a 5 minute break between each class, which doesn't sound like a problem but when the hallways are filled with too many students, it isn't easy at all. The lunch is 15 minutes, and during lunch you are not allowed to throw your trash away until they dismiss you, but you are allowed to yell across the cafeteria. The dress code is supposed to save you money, but with all the rules, it is very hard to find clothes that are in dress code and that are inexpensive. If you are thinking of sending your kid here, make sure to do a little research before doing so.

Posted January 17, 2014

This school is a disgrace. Honestly when it first opened it was a very good enviroment and place to do your studies, but throughout the years it has fallin. I have been a student for 3 years and i have watched the school fall. The school cares more about the dress code then the education of the student. I have personaly saw children making out in class, people getting bullied left and right. The teachers all though a few are accepted are horrible teachers. I have been given multiple classes with bad teachers throughout my 3 years here. and i have suffered the consiquences of failing that grade. My education means everything to me and this school ha failed to give it to me. Thankfully i am not going to be here for my senoir year. Also to add to this, this information given on this page is incorrect I have never been in a class room that had less then 25 kids. This school fails to teach the student how to be prepared for college. If this school was to imotate the affection they had for education in the first years of this school, then this school would be amazingly educational. But now i advise all of the parents that decide to send their children here don't. Thank you

Posted January 9, 2014

When our son was at GRPHS for 9th grade, he had excellent teachers who were very supportive and great role-models for him. He also has had 3 FIRST-YEAR teachers whose inexperience affected his success in their classes...For quite awhile I have been very concerned for the morale of the students, because of some of the onerous rules which I believe were developed because of a small % of students who need a heavy hand...and the well-behaved kids are thus punished by that. It is possible to be encouraging and supportive without being unreasonable. When kids are Seniors they should be treated more as adults than 9th graders...my student tells me how DOWN his classmates are and I'm pretty concerned for them...plus, they are good kids, and deserve more freedom & encouragement to succeed as they are heading into college years. Sometimes it feels as though the staff is not interested in the kids succeeding for THE KIDS' SAKE...only enforcing the rules they've been trained to enforce. I am not very happy with this school for these reasons, and it probably goes way up to the owners/administrative people who don't even do day-to-day contact with students at Grand River.

Posted December 12, 2013

Any review dated before 2013 is completely unreliable. When Grand River Preparatory first began, it was an amazing school, from the faculty, to the education, to the students attending; over the years it went downhill. There is nothing good to say about this school any more; the workload is heavy, they care more about the dress code and being tardy more than anything else. The rules are absurd, the lunch is disgusting, there's absolutely no school spirit, the word "fun" and "Grand River" should never be put in the same sentence unless the words "is not" is inbetween. This is my senior year and I wish I would've transferred a long time ago because going to this school has made my overall high school career unmemorable and just terrible. I would not recommend this school to anyone for any reason, you're better going off to City High, or East Kentwood. This school is terrible.

Posted December 10, 2013

This school provides virtually no school spirit, rules that become progressively more oppressive as the years go by, and in general at most times is a miserable place to be. The only aspect that deserves a star is the teachers, some are quite kind and willing to help students, however this bright side is dying out fast due to teachers finding better positions at other schools and taking the opportunity. I highly recommend you do not send your child here, the academics provided are nowhere near stellar enough to sacrifice your students enjoyment of their high school years.

Posted November 25, 2013

I honestly don't know if I have anything good to say about this school... The information on this website about the school is mostly incorrect. I have only ever had one class of 12 students or less, most being at least over 20. This school does nothing to prepare students for what college is really like and most kids who graduate from Grand River will struggle with adapting to college life if they haven't had their own experiences outside of school. To be honest, even though most people say the classes are more difficult than other high schools in the area, it all depends on what classes you pick. Grand River just forces you to take the hard classes. There also is no such thing as school spirit here. The students really don't care what's happening at the school, nor will they care because of the background they come from. This really causes the school to suffer. (Also, the lunches are the exact same thing that the elementary schools get, complete with 2nd grade serving sizes and the nutritional value of a block of cement...) In addition, the screening process for teachers must be horrible because many of the students have had to suffer from awful teachers in the past.

Posted October 3, 2013

This school is not as perfect as everyone says. There are kids getting bullied left in right. At the school i go to we stick up for each other because we are a family. P.S I go to Allendale High School

Posted May 28, 2013

I have posted multiple reviews for this school, and they have been taken down. So have others. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. If anyone wants to send their children hear, or anyone wants to go here. They should know exactly what the students and parents think of this school. The fact that adequate reviews are being given and deleted just because they are negative is not okay. People deserve to know the truth about schools. It is a very small school, most everyone knows everyone. I cannot stress enough the fact of all the hate. There is so much hate and bullying against students who are simply different than most others. Some of the teachers are nice, but most do not care or make an effort to help individual students. If you have any experience with this school in the past year, you know about how ridiculous the rules are. Twenty years ago, what do you get suspended or expelled for? Bringing guns to school. Here, what do you get expelled for? Not doing your homework. If you are just seconds tardy, you will have a tardy and a detention.

Posted May 22, 2013

I love the faculty at this school, and everyone that goes here that then goes to college says that college is much easier than Grand River. If that does not say something about the difficulty, I don't know what does. Many students are very stressed here, but I have made many friends and I love my class because we all knit ourselves together in mutual dislike for all the rules. In all, it's a great school. Just be prepared for work and many rules.

Posted January 2, 2012

I was a student at Grand River for two years before we moved out of state, and I miss it every day! The teachers and all the staff there are truly dedicated to the well-being of their students. The teachers all really love teaching and love their subjects, so it is not just about good test scores, and the classes are interesting. The challenging classwork pushed me to achieve more than I ever thought possible, and although it was hard at times, the teachers were always there to help me however possible. Even though I left after just two years, Grand River definitely helped prepare me for college and grow me as a person. At Grand River, your teachers and schoolmates really become like family. Not to mention I got to go on a trip to Costa Rica with my AP Biology class. ;) You should definitely send your child to this school; they may complain at first (I cried when I was about to go here), but it will be worth it (I cried when I left, too).

Posted July 23, 2010

This school has been amazing for my child. The personalized attention that she gets from her teachers is amazing. Althought the college prep curriculum is harder then a normal public school, I'm confident that they are preparing her for success in college. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 21, 2009

This school is such a wonderful example of what a great charter school can be! Thanks to this school, I have no doubts that my son will not only go to college, but will finish high school with college credits already under his belt!! The small atmosphere and the energetic, enthusiastic and inspiring group of teachers will make your student want to attend school each and every day. This school really is a blessing!

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

235 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 28% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 44% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Math

White86%
Economically disadvantaged57%
Students without disabilities71%

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 27% 18%

• French
  • Latin
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports