Public charter
Grand Rapids, MI
After care: No

Posted October 01, 2014
So disappointed... I had heard such great things about GR Prep that I made sure my son attended one of the local charter schools for middle school to make sure he would be able to get in. It was nothing but smoke and mirrors!!! I was told low class sizes, college visits, encouragement and prep for college process, open communication with parents and respect for students. Unfortunately, in two years I have been so disappointed - I so regret sending my son to this school!! He could have had a much better experience at another school. Don't let the fancy name fool you - it is not what you think!!

Grand River Preparatory High School 4

Posted July 24, 2014
This school is sure to keep students on track. Although the work does get pretty stressful from time to time, I am confident that it will all pay of in the end and will get me college ready. The teachers are great and are always there to help and understand.

Posted June 22, 2014
Constant bullying, teachers don't realize anything. Hallways are so crowded, in those 5 minutes nobody has the time to even go to the bathroom. All the kids wearing the exact same things, no creativity allowed. If you're even a second late for a class you get detention. The staff at the school care more about dress codes than anything else. A lot of the teachers really don't know how to teach, all the good teachers are gone. This school used to be great. The kids here are so stressed out from their homework, there is absolutely no school spirit at all. You get suspended from not finishing your homework, SUSPENDED. Is that really necessary? If you want your kids to have a good high school experience and be excited for college, this is not the place. It sucks all the fun and spirit out of the students, and turns them into working zombies. Not everybody's book smart, but they are all basically forced to be at this school. There is 15 minutes of lunch, 5 minutes between classes, absolutely no time to socialize at all. To be prepared for life, there needs to be more things at this school other than strict rules and tons of work. Want to have good high school memories? Not the place.

Grand River Preparatory High School 2

Posted June 07, 2014
This school, as other reviews reflect, has gone downhill over the years. Very little consistency in faculty from year to year, due to better opportunities (and higher pay) elsewhere has led to a lack of experienced teachers. The rules are at times oppressive, classes are overcrowded (as are the hallways), and school spirit is virtually non-existent. Grand River only garners a ranking of two stars for academic rigor, which is consistent with its college preparatory mission. However, BE WARNED: while many AP classes are offered, starting next school year many will only be available online, an experience I personally DO NOT recommend. The school also deserves kudos for providing a laptop for every student, as well as tutoring services twice a week free of charge. Overall, better than the traditional Grand Rapids Public Schools, but worse than many other school districts/ private schools. (P.S. I'm a Junior who's been here all 3 of my high school years.)

Posted May 09, 2014
I've been a student here for four years. At first it was enjoyable. There were actually about 16 students per teacher, but they began to intake so many during the years here that they were not ready for. In the beginning they had awesome teachers. Not only were they really good at teaching, but they were young and professional. Like many reviews here say, they left. Out of the original teachers here, there are maybe 5% left. The good about the school...honestly I can't even think of one thing. It has all gone over the years. At GRP, one tardy=detention, a missing assignment=suspension, there are very harsh uniform laws (yeah not rules, LAWS), the lunches we had in kindergarten are the same we get here, hallways are often full, musty, hazy, polluted, and nasty smelling, we only get 5 minutes between classes, which would be alright, but the halls are so full that it's hard, homework is overbearing, there are few sports programs, limited bathroom passes, some teachers are scared of students, and it is turning into a prison. Don't get me wrong. We have some wonderful teachers but not as many, and the good ones always leave for better jobs. Don't attend. You'll regret it. Everyone does.

Posted May 02, 2014
When i started school here i was happy, but over these past 7 months of school, i've noticed that a lot of the staff could care less about our education. The school cares more about the uniform than helping the students. Maybe if we had a little more freedom with what we wear, they'd focus more on teaching us valuable things. Some of the teachers do care about the students, but some really don't. And noticing that a lot of kids here are depressed can be explained too; people are getting bullied all the time, the teachers don't notice it anyways. I wouldn't advise sending your kid here.

Grand River Preparatory High School 3

Posted February 12, 2014
This school pays off, all you need is a your orange jump suit, and a backpack. And you are prepared for college and all it throws at you. Plus, the homework here makes the homework during college years so easy. Great school, good teachers, and alright students.

Posted January 24, 2014
I was exicted to come to Grand River Prep this summer and now I'm exicted to leave.This school does everything it can to make it seem perfect but it's not it's far from it. If you wanna get a real honest opinion listen to someone that walks the halls everyday.I see stress in my peers faces every morning,probably from the hours of homework and studying they did the night before. There is no school spirit and I've only been here five months but i've never heard a single student say they are proud to be here. I'm only in 9th grade but this school is taking a toll on my high school expirence. There's so many harsh rules. I don't mind rules but some are pretty harsh. This school is turning into a Ottawa Hills or Union. That's a nice way of putting it. Some of the teachers are nice but they aren't necessarily teaching to the best of their ability. I've noticed that alot of teachers have only taught at GRP less than 2 years. Teachers are starting to find better jobs.Overall I don't advise you to come here. I'm regretting it.

Grand River Preparatory High School 2

Posted January 19, 2014
From the reviews, you can see this school is getting worse over the years. This is my first year here and before I went to this school I was excited to start high school here. My opinion changed the first week, a large majority of the students at Grand River don't care about their education. Most of the staff seem scared of the kids and act as if they don't see the many problems. The teachers however do care about you're education, but they don't teach in a way that keeps us focused. I understand that the staff wants us to learn as much as we can in a school day, but all we do is learn. All the "fun" happens after school. We have a 5 minute break between each class, which doesn't sound like a problem but when the hallways are filled with too many students, it isn't easy at all. The lunch is 15 minutes, and during lunch you are not allowed to throw your trash away until they dismiss you, but you are allowed to yell across the cafeteria. The dress code is supposed to save you money, but with all the rules, it is very hard to find clothes that are in dress code and that are inexpensive. If you are thinking of sending your kid here, make sure to do a little research before doing so.

Posted January 17, 2014
This school is a disgrace. Honestly when it first opened it was a very good enviroment and place to do your studies, but throughout the years it has fallin. I have been a student for 3 years and i have watched the school fall. The school cares more about the dress code then the education of the student. I have personaly saw children making out in class, people getting bullied left and right. The teachers all though a few are accepted are horrible teachers. I have been given multiple classes with bad teachers throughout my 3 years here. and i have suffered the consiquences of failing that grade. My education means everything to me and this school ha failed to give it to me. Thankfully i am not going to be here for my senoir year. Also to add to this, this information given on this page is incorrect I have never been in a class room that had less then 25 kids. This school fails to teach the student how to be prepared for college. If this school was to imotate the affection they had for education in the first years of this school, then this school would be amazingly educational. But now i advise all of the parents that decide to send their children here don't. Thank you

Grand River Preparatory High School
650 52nd St SE, Grand Rapids, MI  49548
Last modified Grand River Preparatory High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grand River Preparatory High School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top