Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

I like the way they have it set up to do the lesson and it has the required due dates for homework for the student and parent to see. The teachers also have a calendar in a word document that I as a parent like to look at each week with the due dates for all assignment/quizzes/tests. The students have enough time to complete homework and sometimes they do it during the class connect sessions with the teacher present.

My son started with MVCA in 9th grade (2013/2014) and he is now a senior. The brick mortar public school did not work well for my son and the Christian school he went to did not challenge him academically but was a great environment. Parents have to be willing to focus time for their child at MVCA especially the first few months starting. Parents need to make sure your kids stay current with their work, learn the system so you can see what your child has done and look at the comments from the teachers & read all emails. The teachers have always been there to help. MVCA has a nice cumulative summary to show your kids current grades but I still go in once or twice to make sure all work has been completed. I believe MVCA started school year 2010/2011. I have seen MVCA make many improvements for the students and parents i.e. better communication, more class connect time, asking for parent’s opinions/thoughts/suggestions and spending more time with the new parents and students. The teachers have class time with my kids called class connects, get additional help from the teachers if needed and I always receive a response back quickly from the teachers and never more than 24 hours after I contacted them. This is not for everyone but it has been the best decision I have made for my kids for their educational needs. They have A/P, Honor classes, dual enrollment and a wide range of electives. We love the flexibility it gives my kids with not having to be rushed early in the morning, set your own time to eat, not dealing with the school environment (bullies, sex, drugs, too many kids etc) in the mortar schools. I think if you are thinking about going to MVCA or any virtual school you need to research your information, ask a lot of questions and talk to your child. Both the parent and child have to be willing to put the time in but it has been well worth it for my kids especially my son. Communication is vital. If you do not get a response from the teacher you can contact the counselor, homeroom teacher, help line or the family academic support team. I am very thankful that I was able to finally find a school that worked best for my child. I can find faults in MVCA just like I can for the public school and the Christian school they went to, but I would prefer to find the positive and be thankful that we have some choices where our kids can get their education.

My daughter has come so far because of this school! The teachers are amazing and truly make sure your student is where they should be. This is my daughters 4th year with MVCA and they have made changes which I feel are good changes. This type of schooling might not be for everyone but it's perfect for my daughter. I truly don't understand some of these reviews because like I stated this is going to be her 4th school year with Mvca and she's only improved each year.

I promise I'm not a shill, and do not work for this school in any way. My son attended this school for a half-year while we were moving and we loved it. It is a lot of work and can take some adjusting to. You HAVE to be a stay at home or part-time employed parent for this to work unless your child is a highly motivated self-starter. I never had a problem with the teacher or administrators getting back to me about a question. We rarely spent even the allotted 7 hours in school (often 5 or less) and we had no problems with the materials not matching the lessons or anything like that. All the negative reviews on here is baffling me, honestly. I know it won't fit every family's lifestyle, but it was great for us. I sent my child to a brick-and-mortar school for this year, but will be enrolling him back into MVCA for next year because I like it so much more.

I have had nothing but terrible experiences with this school and the k12 curriculum. The lesson plans never match the textbook, and what they learn in class is rarely relevant, either. The "learning coach" basically has to teach their own child because they didn't learn it in class. I am not a teacher, and most of the time i don't know the material. He spends so much time on school every day. My child has shed so many tears over their endless assessments. I am through with this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

How can they be effective when they sit at home xaring for their families while "TRYING" to teach our children!!!!

Amount of homework: no rating

Well if it was honest it would have been great she did more work online than my other children did in school but she recieved NOTHING for her hard work time or energy so now she will never graduate on time....thanks K12 for ruining my childs hopes dreams and futre.....also my children in school had 1 on 1 contact with caring teachers friends and well a real life and honesty my home schooled child is now broken and sad and cries daily because what k12 has done to her

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They say what you wanna hear dont return calls and they lie lie lie......they dont credit the child for what theyve done dont keep track of jwats veing done.....my child did 2 full semesters and recieved NOTHING for all her hard work and time!!!!! DISGUISTED

My daughter was an all A student and enrolled in MVCA for her junior year. The teachers are lazy and show little interest in helping students. Try to get ahold of MVCA for a problem - they will NOT talk to you. I now have a distraught daughter facing her senior year and actually FAILING courses. Again, she's been an honor student - until now.

There is no effort put into this education model. No one follows up with students that are struggling. The principal does not return calls concerning the lack of support and education her teacher's are giving. The guidance counselor said "I only deal with students that are failing." I replied, well my son is fail every class. She then responded, "Oh, well he isn't failing bad enough." What educator in their right mind would say something like that? This "school" is anything but. If you want an education for your child, you are better off elsewhere.

Last modified Michigan Virtual Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.