Public charter
Grand Rapids, MI

Michigan Virtual Charter Academy 3

Posted December 10, 2014
This is our first year with MVCA, and we are fairly satisfied with the programs for our two children. The teachers are fairly proficient in their skill sets and seem to be appropriate fits for the courses that they are teaching, overall. My biggest concern is not with the curriculum or the teachers, but with MVCA's diversification regarding their hiring policies. MVCA has never hired even one African-American educator. Despite the fact that there are many qualified individuals whom are seeking such employment; present company included. And that is what concerns us most. Apparently, the Great Schools website is aware of this important issue since they note the races of the MVCA students, but NOT the races of the MVCA teachers on this site. Very interesting.

Posted September 27, 2014
MVCA is my son's high school through K12. He is currently in his second and fina. Last year was nervous trying to compartmentalize this experience with what I assumed would follow brick/mortar format. I was wrong. Beginning saw changes and glitches but soon, my son had a perfect lesson plan that fit his needs. We always receive timely feedback from teachers, administrators, and counselors. There are many ways to reach out to other students and coaches through virtual means and in person! As an LC, it is imperative you be a stay@home parent or part-time worker so that you can give the attention necessary for success-you are the physical teacher. During this second year, we noticed changes in format and organization. During the initial week where parents learn the ins and outs, more resources to help answer questions were being introduced than last year. There was a change with the daily class connect sessions, which provides more contact with teachers /students than last year. I am so please with this experience; the teachers last year did an amazing job expanding my child's mind. I will enroll my youngest son when the brick/mortar school can no longer handle his Aspie ways.

Posted August 30, 2014
Worst school ever! This school will make you fall behind. It is disorganized. The teachers are not real teachers; they are on call operators. Everything about this school is designed to make you fail. NEVER go here! I learned the hard way. No matter how much they try to convince you, this is the worst school in the world! Anyone who has written 5 stars on this school are employees who are trying to make the ratings go up. They are LIARS.

Posted August 22, 2014
We will be starting our 3rd year with MVCA. I will be a Learning Coach (LC) for 7 students, K-6. The K12 curriculum is A+! This is an opportunity for me to "homeschool" my children & others with a curriculum I don't need to purchase or stress about & teacher support. There is flexibility within the expectations, 80% mastery required at the elementary level. I choose 4 stars vs. 5 as I feel the school has grown "too quickly" & though I have no concerns that they will become a quality school again, at this time there is a struggle with keeping the communication "across the board" the same from one teacher to the next. With the quick growth, there is a large achievement gap but I forsee this gap getting smaller every year due to dedicated teachers and staff. Communication between LC & teacher is the key to being successful while schooling at home. One must keep in mind that, at the elementary level, the LC is the primary educator. One most go in realizing that you are going to have a full-time job on your hand as the LC is doing the schooling. At the present, minimal time is spent at the computer. As student progress, there will be more online instruction.

Posted August 22, 2014
Michigan Virtual Charter Academy is a very academic school that isn't for everyone, but what school is? If you are looking for a school that will challenge your child, has great teachers, has excellent material, will definitely have your child college ready, and are willing to put in the time to help them succeed, then MVCA could be the school for you. There is a lot of parental support; they want you and your child to succeed. This will be our 2nd year with our two boys, and I fully intend to put our daughter into MVCA when she is older, too.

Posted August 22, 2014
I am extraordinarily happy with this school. I currently have 4 kids enrolled going on our second year. They are not so great with the IEP and it takes them forever to get the ball rolling. I am blown away as how far my kids have grown academically. One of my children struggles in language arts and he was able to do the curriculum for the previous grade, while still taking all of his current grade level curriculum for everything else. I like how each child has their own individual learning plan that is geared to them alone. I will admit, it is not easy. It was very overwhelming at first and hard for me to adjust teaching my kids (that is what you are doing as a learning coach), but the teachers were there to help all the way. They help you follow the books and instructions that you are given. If there was something I could not explain to my child, the teacher would do a 1 on 1 with him and explain it until he got it. The curriculum is by far more advanced then what my children would have received at our local public school. I will admit, it is not easy all the time and it does have its challenges, but it was a great alternative for my family to what we were offered locally.

Posted August 22, 2014
This is our second year with MVCA, and I couldn't be happier. The teachers have been wonderful to work with, the curriculum is top notch, the peer to peer support is above and beyond, and most importantly, my children are flourishing. I have seen so many positive changes in my children's attitudes towards learning, and am confident in this schooling structure.

Posted August 22, 2014
This is our 4th year with MVCA. With everything, there are pros & cons, but I feel that there are more pros to this school than cons. I love the flexibility & ability to tweak where necessary, especially if there is something that we don't believe in, we can adjust the lessons accordingly. I love the fact that I have teachers planning the organization of the lessons & back up for times when I am unsure of myself & the subjects. 3 of my 4 children are in the school, & our 4th will be joining next year! I feel that this school is preparing our children with technological knowledge, as most jobs and colleges/universities now require a lot of computer knowledge. Be prepared to be fully involved in teaching/helping your child, this is very similar to traditional homeschooling. The teachers and principals excellent & want to work with you. 2 of my 3 children have IEPs and the special ed teachers are easy to work with. Just remember you are investing in your children & you need to make the best decision that works for you & your kids. This might not be for you, but if it is, it is worth it!

Posted August 08, 2014
Unfortunately for us what was supposed to be "less stressful" than homeschooling turned out to be a nightmare. They had his paperwork in two different systems, and I ended up having to call and demand a supervisor to even get his paperwork looked at after it had been sitting there waiting for EIGHT business days. Then we get accepted and now what was supposed to be placement testing is no more, he's being shoved into first grade work (when he can read at a fourth grade level), and has done first grade work already so therefore he will be bored out of his mind. We were promised that he would get special books and help since he was color blind, but no one had any idea about this (even though we've sent in paperwork three times). I just withdrew him and will continue to homeschool or find some other option, where the people actually know what is going on. K12 should perhaps spend more money on making sure people are trained and know if placement testing is going on or not, if kids really will get certain equipment or not, and make sure they don't promise things that they cannot and will not deliver on instead of advertising so hard. Very upset.

Posted June 26, 2014
Worse school I ever seen in my life. They had zero experiences with special need child. They did not keep their record very well. They don't work with special need. They put them down. I have to laugh my head off when they so called try fail all to my child. I appoarched to board of educated in the public school. I showed her work. They were so shocked that they fail her for passing every one of them. They checked it out for me. Turned out that they don't keep the record. Oh goodness!! This school have no business to teach kids with special needs. They are clueless. Wow. Worse one. Unbelievable. My daughter is smart than that lame so call teachers. Be careful people. This isn't good place for special needs kids. I passed her. I home school her. Good lord.

Michigan Virtual Charter Academy
678 Front Avenue, Nw, Suite 265, Grand Rapids, MI  49504
Last modified Michigan Virtual Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Michigan Virtual Charter Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top