Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My daughter has come so far because of this school! The teachers are amazing and truly make sure your student is where they should be. This is my daughters 4th year with MVCA and they have made changes which I feel are good changes. This type of schooling might not be for everyone but it's perfect for my daughter. I truly don't understand some of these reviews because like I stated this is going to be her 4th school year with Mvca and she's only improved each year.

I promise I'm not a shill, and do not work for this school in any way. My son attended this school for a half-year while we were moving and we loved it. It is a lot of work and can take some adjusting to. You HAVE to be a stay at home or part-time employed parent for this to work unless your child is a highly motivated self-starter. I never had a problem with the teacher or administrators getting back to me about a question. We rarely spent even the allotted 7 hours in school (often 5 or less) and we had no problems with the materials not matching the lessons or anything like that. All the negative reviews on here is baffling me, honestly. I know it won't fit every family's lifestyle, but it was great for us. I sent my child to a brick-and-mortar school for this year, but will be enrolling him back into MVCA for next year because I like it so much more.

I have had nothing but terrible experiences with this school and the k12 curriculum. The lesson plans never match the textbook, and what they learn in class is rarely relevant, either. The "learning coach" basically has to teach their own child because they didn't learn it in class. I am not a teacher, and most of the time i don't know the material. He spends so much time on school every day. My child has shed so many tears over their endless assessments. I am through with this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

How can they be effective when they sit at home xaring for their families while "TRYING" to teach our children!!!!

Amount of homework: no rating

Well if it was honest it would have been great she did more work online than my other children did in school but she recieved NOTHING for her hard work time or energy so now she will never graduate on time....thanks K12 for ruining my childs hopes dreams and futre.....also my children in school had 1 on 1 contact with caring teachers friends and well a real life and honesty my home schooled child is now broken and sad and cries daily because what k12 has done to her

Develops character: Strongly disagree

They say what you wanna hear dont return calls and they lie lie lie......they dont credit the child for what theyve done dont keep track of jwats veing done.....my child did 2 full semesters and recieved NOTHING for all her hard work and time!!!!! DISGUISTED

My daughter was an all A student and enrolled in MVCA for her junior year. The teachers are lazy and show little interest in helping students. Try to get ahold of MVCA for a problem - they will NOT talk to you. I now have a distraught daughter facing her senior year and actually FAILING courses. Again, she's been an honor student - until now.

There is no effort put into this education model. No one follows up with students that are struggling. The principal does not return calls concerning the lack of support and education her teacher's are giving. The guidance counselor said "I only deal with students that are failing." I replied, well my son is fail every class. She then responded, "Oh, well he isn't failing bad enough." What educator in their right mind would say something like that? This "school" is anything but. If you want an education for your child, you are better off elsewhere.

This is our first year with MVCA, and we are fairly satisfied with the programs for our two children. The teachers are fairly proficient in their skill sets and seem to be appropriate fits for the courses that they are teaching, overall. My biggest concern is not with the curriculum or the teachers, but with MVCA's diversification regarding their hiring policies. MVCA has never hired even one African-American educator. Despite the fact that there are many qualified individuals whom are seeking such employment; present company included. And that is what concerns us most. Apparently, the Great Schools website is aware of this important issue since they note the races of the MVCA students, but NOT the races of the MVCA teachers on this site. Very interesting.

MVCA is my son's high school through K12. He is currently in his second and fina. Last year was nervous trying to compartmentalize this experience with what I assumed would follow brick/mortar format. I was wrong. Beginning saw changes and glitches but soon, my son had a perfect lesson plan that fit his needs. We always receive timely feedback from teachers, administrators, and counselors. There are many ways to reach out to other students and coaches through virtual means and in person! As an LC, it is imperative you be a stay@home parent or part-time worker so that you can give the attention necessary for success-you are the physical teacher. During this second year, we noticed changes in format and organization. During the initial week where parents learn the ins and outs, more resources to help answer questions were being introduced than last year. There was a change with the daily class connect sessions, which provides more contact with teachers /students than last year. I am so please with this experience; the teachers last year did an amazing job expanding my child's mind. I will enroll my youngest son when the brick/mortar school can no longer handle his Aspie ways.

Last modified Michigan Virtual Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.