Grand Rapids, MI

Innovation Central High School 1

Posted March 03, 2015
sense the moment i arrived here it has been nothing but constant behavioral issues for the other students. they hit and cuss at the teachers. and nothing happens to these students. the materials we are sought to use are old and writen on scrolled with gang signs . i will not be returning here ext year kids here , are the worst kind , they never stop spreding rumors. kids smoke in the bathrooms its truely terrible.

Innovation Central High School 1

Posted February 20, 2015
On a recent visit to ICHS I was struck by how bland and uninspiring the classrooms and hallways were. A few signs posted around with "inspiring" phrases on them, but no student artwork (at least not in the area of the building I was in), no signs of school pride, or academic accomplishments other than a piece of paper with a list of honor roll and Deans' List students. I was under the impression that this was the place to be to get a jump onto the path of higher learning for a professional career; but the visual impression I was left with was very un-motivating. I was also under the impression that the GRPS Theme Schools were given extra resources to support their specific theme; but I learned that he said they got nothing extra, and in fact get no budget at all. Computers are old, slow and don't work unless plugged into an outlet; and necessary materials for teaching the required curriculum are scarce, broken or non-existent. I was also told that most of the students are unmotivated and unwilling to go out of their way to learn. My child aspires to be an engineer, but the Academy of Modern Engineering does NOT appear to be the right place to go !

Innovation Central High School 5

Posted December 11, 2013
The new Innovation Central HS is worth looking into. The teachers that my son has are the best he's had in a long, long time. They go above and beyond. It is easy to see that they love what they do and they do it well. My son went from a C/D student in another district to all As here. And not because the quality is poor, it is not! The teachers have high expectations from the students, but are willing to work with students if they need extra assistance. The Academies at Innovation offer students hands-on learning opportunities, which I've not seen in other districts. How many high school programs work with area businesses, who in return offer students internships--while they are still in high school? I am impressed that my son has the chance to gain industry knowledge BEFORE going to college! Innovation offers opportunities for parental involvement through a parent/teacher organization, family-fun nights (which are PACKED!), honors banquets every marking period; the list goes on and on. Principal Mark Frost does a wonderful job! You will not be disappointed sending your children to Innovation Central!

Innovation Central High School
421 Fountain St Ne, Grand Rapids, MI  49503
Last modified Innovation Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Innovation Central High School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 3 reviews. Top