Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Before care: Yes

Posted September 28, 2014
Although I have had my three kids at GPA starting 10 years ago, I evaluate it against other area schools every year. I always return to GPA. There have been a lot of changes at the school over the last 10 years, none more positive than the ones made under the new head of school, Lars Kuelling. He has made sure only the best teachers are on staff, built a challenging curriculum and supported families who truly want their kids at GPA. The most important reason my kids are at GPA is because they are challenged to be their very best in every way. My kids were never put into a "track" in academics and made to stay on that track, they were inspired to be the best they could be. The teachers KNOW your child and they work tirelessly to help them achieve their full potential. The teachers have access to unbelievable tools to teach the kids; they have 1:1 iPads for each child, robotics labs, they even have the Detroit Symphony Orchestra teaching the kids during and after school. We are a dual working household, as are most of the families at GPA. We think GPA is worth the investment to make sure our kids have all the tools they need to be successful in high school.

Posted June 16, 2013
I am a parent of two children at the GPA and very pleased with the education and experiences they have received to date. I am also thrilled with the advancement of the school in recent months due to the leadership of Lars Kuelling (new head of school) and excited with the vision, strategy and actions outlined for the upcoming school year. GPA is tracking to be best in class of 21st Century Learning . Yesterday evening, I had a neighbor approach me complimenting me on my daughter and how articulate, mature, and socially aware she is. This was a very kind remark from a couple I talk to only in passing walking our dogs. I highlight this comment because they are both former educators (high school principals from the surrounding area) and both worked with children for years. Yes, I was very pleased as a parent to receive this comment, but I also know GPA has played a major role in my daughter s development and creation of the talented and gracious individual she has become.

Posted June 03, 2013
My children have been at the Grosse Pointe Academy for the past 10 years, and we have another 5 to go...It is the best school in the area. The teachers and the academic studies provided are second to none, and the new Head of School has been a terrific addition.

Posted May 31, 2013
We have been parents if two children at GPA for the past nine years, beginning in the Early School with the strong Montessori beginning. They were given confidence, values and strong education throughout the ES experience. The lower and intermediate school has built on that strong foundation, challenging them in academics, art and growing their confidence at each step. The teachers and administrators know and understand the individual nuances of both of my children's unique personalities and learning styles. We have watched them grow as they have faced challenges, formed lasting friendships and developed life long character lessons.

Grosse Pointe Academy 2

Posted May 07, 2013
This is my fifth year attending this school and I have been very displeased with my experience. The academics are great and they push the students to be active by having physical education four out of five days of the week and requiring each student to participate in at least one after school sport with the school. However, when bullying and harassment occur the staff does absolutely nothing until they are scolded multiple times by an angry parent looking out for their child. They focus too much on money instead of each child's mental well being. The more mature students end up having to give their own classmates a lesson on behavioral issues themselves because the staff will not. I have watched the staff become lackadaisical in the aspect of behavioral isseus in just a few years, and it is unacceptable.

Posted February 23, 2012
I have 2 sons that started at the Academy when they were 3 years old. The Early School is an AMAZING place. I wanted a place they would learn, not just play and it fulfilled my expectations and then some. They have been at the school 10 years and achieved wonderful things. We are there for the "whole package". I love the environment and the sense of family. I love that I am happy to drop them off everyday and feel as though the faculty and staff are happy to see them. Academically they have provided what others would not and the sports programs and "specials" classes (art, foreign language, gym, music, creative movement, etc.) only add to the depth the Academy education offers. I will truly be sad when our family graduates from the 8th grade! It is an amazing school.

Posted February 06, 2012
My two boys have attended the Grosse Pointe Academy since 2007 and it has been a terrific experience in all regards. The outstanding and challenging curriculum, small class sizes and friendly and nuturing atmosphere make it an ideal learning environment -- with a focus on teaching the "whole" child. They promote creative learning and out-of-the-box thinking -- something that's sorely lacking in the "teach to the test" mentality prevalent at many schools today. It is a unique and wonderful school and we are thrilled to be there.

Posted February 06, 2012
With five kids that have a great difference in learning styles, I have been extremely impressed with how GPA met the needs of all of my children. My older two sons are in high school now and were extremely well prepared; the oldest earning an academic merit scholarship. GPA has won Chinese quiz bowls; state championships in chess; forensic competitions. . . GPA has middle school sports included in tuition, world language every single day, fantastic musicals, national French competition winners . . . . Most importantly, the teachers push but love our children. They are caring and smart. We highly recommend The Grosse Pointe Academy.

Posted February 06, 2012
GPA is a wonderful PreK - 8 school that creates a hunger to learn and a high livel of creative thinking in children. The result of a GPA education is eveident when you observe the grace, confidence and intelligence of a GPA graduate speak in public or interact with adults. From the Montesorri beginning the children gain an eagerness to learn more and the confidence to share what they learn with others. It is a balance of traditional, moral environment with 21st centruy learning, where each individual child needs are at its core. It has been a wonderful environment for my children, especially given the individual and different learning styles of each child. Both have flourished, enjoyed and excelled. We started in Early School without a definite intent to stay through 8th grade but immediattely saw the benefit of the continuous education being built on the Montessori beginning. Would highly recommend

Posted February 06, 2012
Having the ability to watch your child grow from the earliest years of Grosse Pointe Academy's montessori based "Early School", and graduate as an 8th grader is one of the greatest gifts a parent can receive. Throughout these years, my child had one of the most nurturing experiences, yet he was constantly challenged to reach his full potential. The extra curricular programs were outstanding, ranging from forensics, to chess and an opportunity to develop confidence in an non-cut athletic middle school program. The school also has a heritage dating back to the 1800's founded by French missionary nuns associated with the prestigous sisters of the Sacred Heart order. This heritage of a strong value in developing the whole child with a vigorous academic program still remains. The best of all, this is one of the most welcoming "family' to be a part of and share in the experience of watching your child grow up.

Grosse Pointe Academy