Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Before care: Yes

University Liggett School 3

Posted October 30, 2013
It is not fair to state people are jealous if they give a review different than yours. Perhaps those giving perfect reviews are the parents deeply involved in the school through family history of attending or volunteering. Anyway, the school is mostly white. Diversity is sports scholarships for Detroit kids. In all fairness Grosse Pointe is not culturally or ethnically diverse therefore 98% of kids are white. Most teachers are good & caring. Discipline policy for kids is basically the more influence your parents have at school the more likely you will not be held accountable. Pressure to donate money but that is common at private schools. Headmaster is aloof. He only says hello to rich families and walks past & ignores others like they don't exist. Recognition awards seem to go to kids whose parents volunteer a lot at the school. Kids at school are very nice and friendly. Most parents are nice. Good school but it is not Cranbrook or DCDS or Roeper. My kids actually love the school but it is academically average. I send them there for the environment which is great for my kids bec it is small & community oriented. Many issues I have described here are common at all private schools.

Posted August 19, 2013
Horrible school, waste of money. Not "jealous" as I did attend it for a semester... waste of time. three Merit Scholars left this year due to unsatisfactory academic experience. Elitist culture, cliquey, sports-centered, and extremely easy.I had a perfect GPA and didn't even need to try. Too many kids are there to "play sports" and not to learn. No more honors classes leave the smart kids trapped with those who just want to have a good time and not learn. The administration told my family that I would be challenged, but man were they wrong. I was put in a lower level math class even though I am very smart, and they refused to move me up to the Honors track, even though I was awarded a Merit Scholarship and test extremely high. I definitely regret attending this school, and I am so happy that I left and am now attending GPN.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 27, 2013
Amazing environment in which to learn. Ignore the naysayers; they are just jealous and do not attend the school.

Posted April 24, 2013
This school is phenomenal. The overall school community is excellent and creates a great atmosphere for children of all different backgrounds. The school does a great job of broadening their students' views and challenging them so they can reach their full potential. The staff there is more than qualified with over 90% of them having their Masters degree in teaching.

Posted October 12, 2012
I'm guessing that the negative reviews are from parent's who don't have children attending. I have found all of the teachers and faculty to be very kind and attentive. My daughter is thriving and loves school. The classes are small and the curriculum is innovative. Children receive lots of individual attention and teachers can cultivate each child's interests.

Posted July 21, 2012
I cannot say enough positive things about Liggett. Two of my children are currently enrolled. My third child will be attending next year. The teachers are very professional. The faculty also creates a positive learning environment by removing barriers that prevent learning i.e. bullying, teasing, cliques and exlcusion by peers. The children learn to learn. My children will be very prepared for college.

Posted June 19, 2012
I agree with some of the reviews. It's a school mainly for kids from local rich families. Some of the staff I interacted with there was not very professional.

Posted February 21, 2012
I'm in college now at a top university. Liggett prepared me well. The teachers were almost always very supportive and effective.

Posted July 19, 2011
Ten years ago I never would have sent my kids to Liggett. A new headmaster, new principal, and a new philosophy have won me over. The classes are small (a huge, huge factor in learning), the teachers actually care to the point you wonder if they ever go home (they actually hold students accountable for high-level learning - not just rote memorization), the course offerings are on par with any school in the state, and the administration doesn't hide from parents like other schools. The counselors are experts at college admissions. Phone calls and e-mails are always returned promptly. It is NOT a snobby environment. We do not live in Grosse Pointe and our kids have never felt out of place at the school. They offer financial aid to practically everyone, so don't necessarily go by the tuition listed on the website. I have been pleasantly surprised and feel it's worth every penny. If you want your kids to actually LEARN, this school can't be beat.

Posted May 04, 2010
Definitely for the rich. Teachers don't even have to have a masters in teaching. Public schools in the area like Grosse Pointe South are much better at preparing a student for college.

University Liggett School
1045 Cook Road, Grosse Pointe Woods, MI  48236
Last modified University Liggett School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
University Liggett School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top