No rating

Our Savior Evangelical Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 55 students

Our school is best known for its high achievement test scores and music program.

Living in Hartland

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $110,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Posted December 13, 2012

As we celebrate the Advent season, I am reminded once again just how blessed my children are to receive a quality Christian education at Our Savior. The opportunities to worship the Lord throughout the school day, to be challenged academically in the classrooms, and to participate in an exceptional music program are truly a gift. I commend our faithful and dedicated teaching and pastoral staff for their commitment to academic excellence and faithful instruction. They truly love our children, each other, and this parish. Thanks be to God!

Posted May 2, 2012

This school has been and continues to be an excellent school. My children love their teachers and are flourishing academically, spiritually, and emotionally. Two of them consistently score two to three grades above in achievement tests. The other has some learning difficulties and with the small class sizes and caring teachers, has been progressing remarkably well. All three enjoy the extra-curricular activities and the facilities are beautiful. I highly recommend this school for those interested in a Christ-centered, academically challenging school.

Posted April 24, 2012

My middle schooler is receiving an amazing, faith-based education. He knows scripture as well as math, social studies, and language arts. There is an active PTL and group of parents in the building everyday keeping activities and funding going. While the sudden resignation of the contract principal in 2011 and her friends on the teaching staff caused a great deal of stress and the departure of some families, the school remains a peaceful, Christ-centered educational facility. My child is thriving, and I enjoy my interactions with all staff and families at the school.

Posted April 24, 2012

My husband has been a lifelong member of this congregation, and we are very active members in the church. We have had two children graduate from the school and currently have two there. The education they have received and are receiving is top notch. There was some unfortunate events that did take place in 2011. The school is once again working in harmony with the church as it did in the years before this incident and we are very happy and excited for some of the great new things happening in this congregation and school.

Posted February 28, 2012

My wife and I had our children here until the end of 2011. When I enrolled them I was very impressed with the teachers and the greeting with warmth and open arms we recieved as we were new to putting our children into private school, but were also not members of the church. With that said, this once wonderful school was filled with sadness and uncertainty by the end of the school year so we chose to remove our children. I grew up my entire life in the church and to see what was happening yet again, only this time, affecting the school saddened me greatly but I was not surprised as this was nothing new to me since I had seen this kind of split and division within the church/school all before. As of last week, another teacher has resigned and yet another family has transferred out.. How sad the turmoil that started a year ago, is still dragging down this school. I pray for those responsible and just hope God is letting this happen for a reason...

Posted February 28, 2012

there is entirely too much discord coming from the church. we left recently due to the fighting and negativity. The teachers really do try to do their best with the situation in which they find themselves. However, the class sizes and staff has dwindled so severely that we were forced to take our children elsewhere. We know that this was a great school last year, but currently the fighting has severely hindered it from flourishing. I am sure that this post will be deleted shortly as others stating valid concerns have recently.

Posted February 25, 2012

I currently have children there, and will not be returning. Another teacher resigns. Speaks for itself. I am shocked that anything that has been said negative is so quickly being dismissed when it shows within the school itself exactly what is happening. I am very concerned they will not manage through the remainder of this year but am hopeful I am no left seeking a place to put my children mid year.

Posted February 22, 2012

Unfortunately, our school has had negative reviews on the site. There are one or two families who feel the need to constantly post negative reviews about our church and school. To say our school it is not "Christ Centered" is nothing short of a lie. There is no bickering, no fighting, and no aggression. The only problems we have are the people submitting the negative reviews on this web site. We are brothers and sisters in Christ and strive to do His work. Children in the day care, pre-school thru 8th grade receive a quality education. OSL is a great place to learn!

Posted February 14, 2012

TOP NOTCH. This school is absolutely wonderful. As is stated below If you are looking for CHRIST CENTERED education for your child this is the place. The teachers in place truly care about the students in all aspects of their Christian and Educational growth. The IOWA test scores noted below demonstrate the excellence, and the continued success of these students after attending is I believe unmatched. Class sizes are ideal for one on one educational opportunities, I have had my children in this school both before and after some of the staff turnover and can say without a doubt that this School is in a much better place now than it has ever been since moving into the new facility. The votes of a few as mentioned below, are the votes of the departed. The issues have been addressed and rectified with the willful departures of the staff members and principal. Any Current family with children in the school will tell you that there is no better school in the area if you desire quality education which is Christ Centered. Come visit and see for yourself!

Posted February 14, 2012

Our Savior Lutheran is the place to be! I have children in multiple grades and know that this school is top notch! In fact, it has gotten 100% better within the past year after some very important changes were made to see that the parochial and caring character of the school remained intact. I'm so glad that the faithful members have stepped up and worked so hard to build up the school and to provide the families they serve (both member and non-member) with only the best! Thank you Our Savior School! Thank you Our Savior Lutheran Church! You are at the top of the education field and a blessing to the community you serve!

Posted February 14, 2012

GREAT SCHOOL! This school has met all of my expectations for a Christ centered education. In addition to high academic standards the students are exposed to the Word of God on a daily basis. Daily devotions and religion classes are a part of every classroom. Chapel is held weekly and Christian values are integrated into many classes throughout the day. The students consistently score above state and national averages on the Iowa achievement tests. Also, the students who graduate from this school are well prepared for the high schools that they attend, whether public, private or parochial.

Posted February 14, 2012

Our Savior is a wonderful place for children to study and for families to grow. The entire school is built upon Christ and delivers the Word of God to students on a daily basis. Teachers and principal are well qualified and are truly invested in the academic, social and SPIRITUAL education of their students. Students are challenged academically and are given numerous opportunities to interact with staff in an individualized and small group setting. The church is refreshingly supportive of the school, even amidst economically trying times. My family belongs to the church and we have a young child that we CANNOT WAIT to enroll in this Christ-Centered school! Come check us out!

Posted December 15, 2011

Our Savior Lutheran School has been a blessing to our entire family. Our children receive an excellent education at the hands of faithful and skilled teachers while being nurtured in a Christian environment. The school is like a family and offers a wealth of opportunities to enjoy fellowship with other parents.

Posted March 1, 2009

The results are beyond dispute: IOWA test scores over several years show an average Grade Equivalent Score for second-graders that is 2 years above grade level...by eighth grade, this has increased to well over four years above grade level: 12th and 13th grade equivalent scores--for 8th-graders, mind you--in every one of the 16 ITBS categories. This public high school teacher (a Roman Catholic) has in-depth firsthand knowledge of what is being done right here, from Child of Christ's program to create a culture of reading from K to 8, to their excellent math program requiring mastery of calculating skills, to their vital fostering of faith in Christ. If you want hard data, contact the school (or ask them for me, they'll know who I am--all of my Catholic kids go there, or soon will). John

Posted March 1, 2009

Excellent academics, Christ-centered foundation, wonderful teachers, new facilities coming in 2009/2010!

Posted October 20, 2004

Excellent school. Focusing on Christ and Academics. Very challening for students with small class sizes.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%
African-American 0% 19%
Multiracial 0% 2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • A. Johnson
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Fax number
  • (248) 887-3596

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Multi-aged
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom