Hazel Park High School 2

Posted May 26, 2014
I've had three children attend schools in this district all of their academic lives (2 have since graduated). Older child was a stellar student, no problems with teachers or administration. Middle child managed to get through to graduation but by no means with any help from the counselors, teachers or administration. There was a record number of non-graduates in his 2011 class. Youngest child is struggling and I haven't had much help from any of the teachers. They wait til your child is almost failing to even attempt to contact the parents and that's only because I made myself a pest to the them and the administration. He is pretty much being shuffled to the side and forgotten about. The PASS program (for students who are struggling) is a joke--too many students with not enough real tutoring help. Too many teachers who really only seem to be here for the paycheck, very sad. I also blame the Core Curriculum standards that are put on this failing high school. The government has set our most struggling of students (like my youngest) up to fail with rigid and inflexible standards. Only reason we stay is the hope of the Promise Zone scholarship.

Posted April 13, 2014
I've been in Hazel Parks schools since I was a little kid. I could sit here and say such mean things about it like everyone else but there's nothing mean to say about it. Of course every school has a couple flaws and a couple students that don't try their hardest but the teachers at Hazel Park High School are absolutely amazing. They push you, they're nice, helpful, and something that every teacher should be. This school may not seem the bet because of all the talk, but you must see it for yourself before you believe any of the talk. The students need to improve if anything. Some just dont work as hard as others.

Posted February 13, 2014
I enrolled here awhile ago and I will say that this is a pretty good school. In my experience, there's not a lot of bullying, the teachers are decent, but the best part of it is the band program, it's way above the one at my old school.

Hazel Park High School 3

Posted September 26, 2013
I feel the teachers at this school are amazing and do their very best at what they were trained and taught to do. I however feel they could use help in communication and the teachers could use back up from the administration . Activities after school are a plus to many other highschools.

Posted January 30, 2013
I personally have not attended Hazel Park schools, however both of my children do and have since preschool. I really enjoy the district we are in. My children are consistently challenged and pushed to do their best. Both of them are A, B students and are very pleased in the scholastic experiences. They attend an elementary where there is a ZERO tolerance system for bulling, and as a result they have never encountered such thing. I've read several reviews about this school system and I just do not agree what so ever. I STRONGLY feel that as parent your main job in life is to teach your children yourselves, and let the school implement what you have taught at home. I Love our school system, and I love the way they are being taught. I wish more schools had the community support and the dedicated teachers that we have here! I only wish more parents were involved.

Hazel Park High School 1

Posted December 18, 2012
I graduated from here and found I knew very little once college started. I was a A- student here and struggled to pull c's. They do not prepare students for college. Teachers are fine but just are limited to what they can do. I don't blame the school for everything. They have limited money to work with, parents are not overly involved and it is in a lower income area so they do the best they can. If you can drive your kids to the Royal Oak or Troy schools. Your kids are worth the drive.

Hazel Park High School 2

Posted August 13, 2012
I am a former student at HPHS and have since dropped out. I did not have many issues with students though I observed that some methods to prevent bullying weren't exactly effective. Many teachers were kind and would help if you asked. My issue was with the office staff, not only did they lose credits from my previously attended schools which made graduation on time impossible, but the staff nearly helped me to the door when I mentioned dropping out though I was not considered a "bad" student. Not to mention the school counsler was too busy to help even after repeated requests to speak with her.

Hazel Park High School 1

Posted June 03, 2012
My son left Southfield District because of bullying, he transferred to Hazel Park and sadly he did not feel the teachers showed any interest. I am pleading for Southfield to take him back. I'm not bashing the school, it just was not a good fit for him.

Hazel Park High School 5

Posted June 02, 2012
If you are interested in math or science, this school will prepare you for college. AP Calculus and AP Chemistry are the two most important classes for anyone serious about math or science at the college level. Both teachers in these courses know their stuff and can bring your study skills up to the level you need to succeed. You will have to work for it, however.

Hazel Park High School 5

Posted October 12, 2011
My daughter attended HPHS last year, sadly I moved her because I felt Royal Oak would have been a better school. I was wrong, sending her to ROHS proved that Hazel Park is a much more positive and uplifting school. It is a traditional education. The students are more encouraging and so are the teachers. They don't make experimental changes because the corriculum they have WORKS. Needless to say my daughter will be returning to HPHS next year for her own good.

Hazel Park High School
23400 Hughes Avenue, Hazel Park, MI  48030
Last modified Hazel Park High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hazel Park High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top