Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=14510+2nd+ave,highland+park,mi+48203&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=1tqexhrfcjuvjby_mnlmcmlkhda=

George Washington Carver Academy

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

George Washington Carver Academy 5319078 5

Posted October 08, 2013
I believe George Washington Carver Academy provides quality education. Change has been implemented -change is good- and with that comes many challenges. However, the safe environment and positive atmosphere at this school indicates that our children will come out on top. Parent involvement, great leadership and quality educators produce youth who are geared toward high academic achievement. No school is perfect, all schools can improveme in one way or another. So if you happen to be one of those unhappy parents, **POSITIVELY INVOLVE YOURSELF** with your child's educational experience. OUR CHILDREN ARE A REFLECTION OF WHO WE ARE!!! My son completed 3rd grade believing that he can become the President of the United States and is now in 4th grade. He is very excited about his education and always eager to learn. His favorite subject is science but he enjoys all subjects. Very seldomly does he come home with a complaint. We do not live in the Highland Park district but the drive to this school comes with no regrets. We've had a great experience and as a parent I look forward to continuing my child's educational journey at George Washington Carver Academy.

George Washington Carver Academy 4689988 5

Posted December 21, 2011
I love my school and anybhody who disagree can just get off this site. they dnt belong on this site

George Washington Carver Academy 3801100 5

Posted March 01, 2011
My children has been at GWCA since kindergarten and they love their school. They know who their prinicpal is by name. They can go into her office and ask her anything. Most kids can't tell who their prinicpal is. She expects a lot out of the students and staff. She truly wnat these children to succeed. She believes in teaching to master not to memorize and important. It is a global economy that are kids are going to have to compete in.

George Washington Carver Academy 4235228 1

Posted July 02, 2010
I am a teacher at this school who has been asked to return in the fall. If I could find another job, I'd walk out the door and never look back. Most of the "issues" at this school are caused by the incompetence of the management company and the administrators. This school is run on personalities and numbers, it has no heart and no brain. If you're one of the "in" crowd"and your salary is not too high, then you'll have a job and get good reviews. But, if you speak your mind as a professional educator and point out problems or suggest other ways of doing things, and/or you're getting paid a proper salary, then you're history around here. I kept my poorly paid mouth shut, but as a teacher I'm just "phoning it in"-this place is a terrible school.

George Washington Carver Academy 4237890 3

Posted June 30, 2010
Kids are great....It's a tough world...Yes our kids are tough...parents are tough, but somehow the kids come together and get things done. All those bake sales were for the kids. This school year marked by far the most field trips ever taken by this school. Ask the kids who their principal is and if she cares about them and they will tell you Ms. S. Ask them about any other CAO/principal and they won't be able to tell you.

George Washington Carver Academy 2402800 1

Posted June 29, 2010
Two other schools with the same mismanagement style of the CAO/principle have been closed for this reason. It's obvious to staff the great potential to bring the school to its final demise. Unfortunately whoever runs the school does not know how to run a school effectively! More teachers were laid off in a cruel manner on the last day of school/ budget cuts(soon you'll see more new teachers to replace them) . But, it is never understood how these selections are made (not seniority,not poor performance. Teachers are dismissed people that the CAO does not like, have opinions and are seeking further advancement for their careers. A "real" leader would embrace these employees, but not exhibits diabetic up)/diabetic down) attitude. Favorites are selected and pitted against each other depending on their skills, just to keep morale low, i.e., against experienced teachers. CAO/Principal is also severly distorted.

George Washington Carver Academy 2731484 0

Posted October 04, 2009
I am a substitute teacher @ GWC and I enjoy my assignments there. There are problems just as any other has, but the difference here is that the teachers and administration genuinely care about the students. I believe more parent involvement would make the difference. Parents volunteer in your child's classroom and observe what the teachers and administration have to deal with on a daily basis with YOUR CHILD! I think you will leave with a different perspective.

George Washington Carver Academy 3532959 0

Posted September 20, 2009

George Washington Carver Academy 3799473 0

Posted September 08, 2009

George Washington Carver Academy 3757489 0

Posted August 10, 2009
I love the teachers at GWAC, however they are not appreciated or given much incentive. These are people who are teaching our children and need the support of administration and board members. I volunteer frequently, and have one child enrolled at GWAC. I don't think he will be back in Sept of 09, which is sad because I really care about the students and the teachers. I served on the school improvement board with disappointing results. Mr. Gordon is a very sincere, hard working principle who greeted the parents and thanked them for bringing their kids to school, I sure hope he stays. He is very compassionate and caring. The management and board members need to listen to the teachers and the parents.

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

George Washington Carver Academy
14510 2Nd Ave, Highland Park, MI  48203
George Washington Carver Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews.