Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Parent (2 responses)

Posted April 30, 2016
We are new to the school this year. We have tried no less than 4 school districts and homeschooled before enrolling in CSA. After reading thoroughly through the learning philosophy and character education that CSA follows we decided to make an appointment for a tour. Mrs. Stockwell spent no less than 3 hours with our family, answering all of our questions and addressing any concerns we may have. I have never had an educator spend so much time with us, even at schools we were enrolled in. It took about a month for my daughter to adjust to the procedures and daily routine because CSA's philosophy is very different from what she has been used to at other schools, but after adjusting she is the happiest I have ever seen her. This is a child I used to have to drag out of bed and now she gets up an hour early, on her own, to get her day started and looks forward to seeing her teachers and friends. I am amazed at the turn around in her overall attitude and she is no longer stressed out about going to school. One mistake parents might be making when they enroll is not familiarizing themselves with the educational philosophy behind the school. If parents are expecting a traditional public school experience, CSA isn't it. One could compare CSA's model to that of a Montessori school, where learning is hands on, reflected in daily activities, where one activity combines many subject areas and where each child learns at their own level and pace. The other day I walked into the classroom and the teachers were sitting on the floor with the students, while they were fully engaged with small group learning and giving individual instruction. I have never witnessed this in a public school classroom. This is not students sitting taking one test after another, listening to lectures, never able to move past what the class is doing if they have already grasped a concept. CSA is different and I am so thankful that my daughter has the opportunity to attend this school.

Posted March 21, 2016
I have one student in the elementary school and another in the middle school. We continue to be thoroughly impressed after many years at CSA. My children are excelling in their classes and are becoming even more independent. The teachers and my kids take great pride in their work, and we are happy to be a part of such a great community.

Posted February 19, 2016
You would learn best about CSA from asking around in your own community. When we asked friends about what they heard about CSA, the majority has been negative. If they didn't have a negative experience they knew someone who did.

Posted February 10, 2016
My son is a special education student. The classroom teachers have been amazing! They have been teaching him where he is at in his learning and he has increased his reading skills faster than we ever thought he could. They have helped him to feel good about himself and to believe in himself. I know they really care about him. All of the special education team communicate with me regularly and I am thankful every day for them.

Posted February 01, 2016
We love CSA! Our childrens' current and past teachers have and maintain great relationships with each of our children and really know them and how they learn best. The staff is welcoming and the teachers communicate with my husband and I frequently about the progress and learning that each of our children make throughout the year. We know that if we ever have a question or concern we can contact them and our questions or concerns are addressed quickly and honestly. We know that the education our children are receiving is fully preparing them for the life experiences they will have both academically and in the "real world" through college and beyond. Our children are happy and love going to school and we are happy too! We love CSA!

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted January 29, 2016
Teachers are overworked and school is understaffed. There are tons of parent volunteers in and out of that school each day. More volunteers than staff doing work.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted January 29, 2016
Our experience has been a hostile environment. Our first grader has had to deal with multiple negative comments from peers in short amount of time. For example: Their whole group told our child that they "didn't want them at CSA and to just go away." This is just one of five negative instances in 3-4 months.

Posted January 29, 2016
We are currently enrolled (but probably not for long.) this is our first year. Over the last 4 months of school, there have been 5 incidents of bullying and hostile behavior within our child's 1st grade class. From students threatening to kill our child (yeah.. I know... That sounds crazy right?! And the comments were made out of anger, not playing. ) to pushing at lockers. To slapping our child in the face. And when our child reports these to an adult, it sometimes just gets a "talking to" with both parties and a speech about how we are all friends. And other times our child is dismissed and told.. "Oh.. So and so is just joking." Oh, and the slap in the face was the last straw... Our child defended himself and guess who was written up? Not the instigator! We've attempted to address the issues and work with the staff in charge of the disciplinary process. We've sent emails to the principal only to have her ignore them. The teachers as well. Principal is too busy to meet with us in a timely manner. When we do get a meeting..asking simple questions was greeted with hostility. Even the school stating they "need our lawyer present before we can continue." It's important to understand that if your child is special needs in anyway, you have to put everything in writing and be VERY direct with the school about your expectations. Do not expect them to guide you through their process. They will make you jump through hoops and they will dodge around issues that regard special services, IEP, Evaluations. They prefer to communicate verbally because it doesn't leave a trail and hold them accountable. Be wary of that. Staff will also tell you to not use "labels" that they feel are negative. Those labels include "Autism, ADHD, SPD, etc..." When I asked directly about why I was told not to say those things.. The Special Ed director could not answer why they feel so strongly against the "label". However, gifted is a label. And the school actively promotes their gifted program. Before we made our decision to come to this school, we came into this website and read a ton of the reviews. We were a little wary of the negative feedback. But since we have a few friends in the school, we decided to give it a chance. I wish we would have followed out gut and listened to the complaints.

Posted July 31, 2015
It is strange that every time a review is posted that is in any way negative, there is a 5 star review to follow?? Or 5 or 6 excellent reviews? There are positive things about CSA if you have a child that specifically fits the model. I am happy to say that my children do not fit the model. My advise is to look beyond the pretty colors and fancy videos with all the special buzz words and make an informed decision. Check to make sure your student will have every service available to them and their civil rights are honored. Proper services are not available to students in the same way public schools provide for special circumstances . If you need a 504 plan or IEP , think about taking an advocate with you to get the services your student is intitled to by law . The administration will tell you that these special plans are not needed. Make sure you have a documented plan that CSA is held accountable for.

Posted July 26, 2015
I could not be more pleased with my experience at CSA! My children are thriving and love going to school. I am surprised by some of the negative reviews as this has not been my experience. I hope those who have had a bad experience have brought it to our new principal's attention. My experience with her has been extremely positive. She is approachable, listens well, and is eager to address any concerns. She truly cares about the students. She even has lunch dates with them! No school is perfect, but I can honestly say this school works hard to meet the needs of every student and to develop a partnership with parents. While this school may not be for everybody at the end of the day I'm glad I have a choice in where I send my children. CSA is my choice!

9758 East Highland Road, Howell, MI  48843
Last modified Charyl Stockwell Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.