Interlochen, MI

Posted May 19, 2015
I am an alumnus of Interlochen Arts Academy, and I could not be more satisfied with the time I spent there. It is one of the most unique high school experiences a young person could possibly have. Talented students from all over the world come together to create amazing art and friendships that last a lifetime. Living on campus as a boarding student requires a level of maturity that most students arrive with or quickly acquire. Thanks in part to both the academic and artistic education I received at Interlochen, I was accepted into an Ivy League university where I then thrived. Interlochen prepared me to take on a rigorous courseload and to continue pursuing my art form as an extra-curricular activity. After college, I moved to New York City where I continue to have meaningful interactions with my fellow alumni through which I can stay very highly involved in the arts. I recommend it very highly.

Posted October 23, 2013
Interlochen AA is amazing! It has small class sizes and challenging academics that prepare the students for college. I'm so pleased with this school so far.

Posted October 22, 2013
My son's first year and I can't even begin to say what a wonderful school and atmosphere.

Posted April 18, 2013
Some people are happy with IAA, We have an A student, organized, and "talented" i.e. First chair in public school orchestra, 3rd chair at Interlochen Summer Camp. Interlochen Arts Academy (2012 - 2013) A SERIOUS DISAPPOINTMENT Regrettable disappointment IAA Music Instructors: talented musicians, canceling class, late for class, moody, inconsistent IAA Academics: disappointment, EASY, slowing the pace to accommodate "slackers", then skipping chapters to "catch up" Weather: Cold cold Colder Campus: charming, wooded, beautiful, park like setting, Teachers: more engaging than public schools, permissive Challenge: less challenging than public schools; some good projects, easy but engaging Students: seem to be "skating" and the staff is totally accommodating; low test scores, come in for "test corrections" Freshman violin : weekly lesson and daily orchestra, and a weekly studio class (cancelled 40% of the time) Where's the BEEF? What a bust (for us)!

Posted September 14, 2012
Interlochen has changed greatly. In terms of quality of teachers and quality of stdents. I am referring to the Visual Arts program which is terrible. Unbelievable how its level could be so low. Interlochen is only good if you are in the Music or Performing Arts, but if you are into Visual Arts run as far away as possible from this place.

Posted June 18, 2012
disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed disappointed

Posted December 17, 2011
As an alumna of Interlochen Arts academy I am extremely disappointed in the direction the administration is taking the school. My experience at Interlochen was largely positive, but many of the teachers that made it so great have been let go as they approach retirement age. It is painful to see the school I love treat its dedicated and talented teachers so terribly.

Posted September 10, 2010
As a parent of an International Student at Interlochen, I can say that this is the best high school noy only in the US but in the world for those who are going to have careers in the arts. This is my son s 2nd year there and he has grown up in all ways possible. The teachers are superb, LIBERAL, and they encourage the students to show the best of them. I m making huge sacrifices to have my son there, but it s worth every dollar!.

Interlochen Arts Academy

Posted October 03, 2009
It is the best arts school in the world and the best HS for academics in the country.

Posted March 05, 2009
My son attended for two years, playing in the orchestra. They have ambitious weekly goals for the students, and they get it done. You cannot do better than this school. I wish it were not so expensive. I am glad my son has the memory of this experience. Priceless.

Interlochen Arts Academy
4000 M 137, Interlochen, MI  49643
Last modified Interlochen Arts Academy is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Interlochen Arts Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top