Bad
Good

Northwest High School 4

Posted October 01, 2014
The school is making steps in the right direction, with a new, less misogynistic dress code. The arts programs are phenomonal, and so is the English Department. Overall, a fantastic school that is getting better every year.

Posted November 11, 2013
I wouldn't give them any stars, but I see that's not an option. I recently moved from Northwest High School to the Alternative because I was bullied so bad at the high school. I even went to the principle about it and he asked me "what did you do to make them do that?" Every staff member definitely has favorites, even the principles.

Posted June 02, 2013
I am a current student, and the Northwest teachers are horrible for the most part, the school is junky, and there are not enough busses for the amount of children at the school.

Northwest High School 2

Posted November 27, 2011
Ultimately though, the administration at NWHS helps provides yet another example of a public school system that places actual student achievement and educational success low on the priority list. If I gave more specific examples of the behaviors and educational styles of some of the tenured teachers I had, you would be shocked. Some of the things I experienced: many instructors that would 1) sleep in class, 2) have us copy notes out of a book, then use our notes on the weekly tests, never learning anything, 3) gossiping (yes, gossip. Idle back-talking) with their more-liked students about other students, and more. I had a few amazing instructors during my years at NWHS. Mr. Seal, Mr. Mark Hoyt, Mr. Bowen, Mr. Brandon Baker, Mr. Woodruff (the latter two are retired). But they're the exception, not the norm. There is a pronounced disconnect between the needs of the students and the goals of the administration. This is representative of the larger problems with the national educational system, yes, but it doesn't in any way let them off of the hook. Until student achievement and engagement become the primary priority, the problems observed at NWHS will continue on indefinitely.

Northwest High School 4

Posted September 21, 2010
I am a teacher at Northwest High School. In the past two years the staff has done a tremendous job of making this school a "safe" place to come and learn. Teachers are monitoring hallways, the principals are out and about each morning before school, during class changes, during lunches and after school. There is a no tolerance for student bullies, fighting and overall not following rules. Cell phones are allowed before school, during lunches and after school. Like in all schools, cell phones are not allowed in the classroom, but in cases of emergency, students are allowed to use the phones in the rooms to call parents if they need to. Lanyards with ID are a must to keep our students safe. Teachers are there for the students. Having been in other districts I have found, Northwest high school to be an excellent choice for your student.

Posted September 15, 2010
My son is going there and I would just like to say that the school is horrible, they have a lot of drug problems "more than the last school my son was at" and a lot of kids who are just plain horrible. Most of the teachers are under qualified and sometimes end up learning a thing or two from the students. Overall I never recommend sending your kid to this school it will be a huge regret you have.

Northwest High School 3

Posted July 26, 2010
When I was a student there years ago we never had cell phones.we would realize that if there was a family emergency someone from the office would give us a note and that we could call home.as for dress code it's a good idea.years ago the guys would stand against a wall and make comments good and bad about the girls that walked by.my sister was shy and always hated the comments made to her when she walked by going to her classroom.you need to have some dress code because it's not good for clothes to be to tight or showing everything.It's dress etiquette when going to school or work.you would not wear short shorts to work and a tube top to work.same rules as going to work.

Posted November 18, 2009
Poor leadership, inconsistent discipline, unnecessary policies. Need I say more?

Posted October 03, 2009
Low academic standards and very little discipline.

Northwest High School 5

Posted September 14, 2009
We moved here 10 yrs ago and enrolled my nephew in this district 3 years later. Our nephew had reading probs and we were told not by his former teachers in another state not to expect much more advancement from him. Well, since starting school in NW, he has blossomed and thrived. He is about to graduate high school and is out of ALL of the LD classes he started with, is mainstreamed in all classes and is making the 'B' honor roll. Thanks to his knowledgeable and caring teachers.....they have been wonderful.

Northwest High School
4200 Van Horn Road, Jackson, MI  49201
Last modified Northwest High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.