Lake Orion Community High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2482 students

Posted July 30, 2012

i went to this high school. best atmosphere, teachers care about students. the new program that helps bring things out in the open. it help show what others think and helps us work together. I just graduated and this school will help your student succeed. the school is outstanding, and cracks down hard on those who dont follow the ruls. i felt safe in the school 24/7. very talented teachers and students. thy ar trying to stop the suicide rates. and little by little thy ar working.

Posted June 6, 2012

Lake Orion High School has surprising reviews, though a number are from parents, so obviously they wouldn't expect there to be negative things. As a current student, I can tell you that the school is insensitive and horrible. Students have no clue about anything outside their own little bubble-- especially other cultures-- and constantly try to cause issues with one another. Staff tries to push a no-bullying, anti-suicide agenda(since Lake Orion has the highest suicide rate in the area), but they seem to utterly fail. Students will report being bullied, only to see the bullies get a mere warning; teachers will completely ignore someone being out-and-out harassed in their class; assemblies will be held about suicide then will be completely forgotten about within a week-- even if staff claims they won't let the point of the assembly "slip under the rug." There really isn't any learning, just teachers having students regurgitate what they've been told onto tests-- half the teachers don't even understand the subject they teach, it appears. If you're considering sending your child here, I'd just forget about it. LOHS is horrible.

Posted June 3, 2011

My daughter attended this school from 2004 - 2007 and she did well with the block system (I think that's what it was called), where the different classes have same subjects that are applied to math, english, science so it seems to reinforce the topic. The teachers were easily accessed by email so if she had questions after the school day she could get it answered that afternoon/evening instead of calling her friends to possibly end up with the wrong directions.

Posted November 6, 2010

Large, beautiful building, excellent teachers. It's a very diverse community and kids can express who they are. If you have a child who wants to be academically successful, they have tons of AP classes and anything is possible, from academics, to state of the art sports facilities, and arts and music programs. Love this school.

Posted October 13, 2010

Because of the family oriented, caring community atmosphere.

Posted October 3, 2009

What a beautiful school! From the the fantastic staff, teachers, students and parents, could couldn't ask for a more supportive community. Even though the school is very large, it has a small town feel about it. Everyone knows everyone else. A+!

Posted September 19, 2009

Huge supportive community!

Posted July 13, 2009

I resently graduated from Lake Orion Option High school. I also went to Lake Orion High school. I went to Option the last two turms of my senior year, and I went to the high school from freshman year on. I do believe that Lake Orion is a good place to learn. From my experience at Lake Orion, they have many good teachers. They try to make the classes fun so that the kids enjoy the classes. The teacher interact with there kids. I do think if you have to chose what school to send them to it is lake orion because I no for a fast they will get a good education.

Posted January 24, 2008

I transferred to LOHS in my junior year and graduated 2 years ago. I was happy with the education and the friendliness of my counselor and my teachers but the school is far from perfect. Here's a few things that I believe the school could improve on: First, this school is extremely culturally un-diverse. Students seriously lack any understanding of other cultures and fail to appreciate diversity. While I was there, the school did a few things to promote diversity but just on a very superficial level. Second, don't expect your kids go to Ivies graduating from this high school. The school had fewer AP programs than its counterparts in surrounding districts. I did find out about their dual-enrollment program

Posted September 15, 2007

I had an incident with my youngest daughter at LOHS that was somewhat concerning, and not one-sided. I believe the principal, Mr. Todd Dunckley, and his staff handled the situation with unexpected professionalism. I was especially impressed with the principal's leadership, neutrality, ability to assess the situation, and offer positive recommendations and next steps for both sides. His personal attention to the matter quickly and successfully resolved what could have potentially turned into a very negative situation.

Posted March 4, 2007

i am a current student of LOHS. i am here to say that i love the HS, i do not agree with some of the programs offered but nothings perfect. i beleive that no other school can prepare their students any better than LOHS can, its real. It can be cold and stress full like no other but what do you think the real world is like? its not all about fuzzy bunnies and coloring.not all people are nice.kids need to know how to take care of themselves. anyways lake orion really puts it out there to make their students get the best education and help with their/my future. and no teachers 'stalk' students or girls. i know i go out into the world next year with my head up, i know i am prepared, thanks to LOHS.

Posted May 10, 2006

Lake Orion is one of the best schools in the area. Many of the teachers are highly educated, several have masters degrees. There is a very high focus on college prep here. Students are prepared and classes geared toward their college golas. There is a great learning program available after sophmore year where students can learn a career such as pharmacy tech, chef, electronics and many others to get them on their feet running. Great support from staff. Clean, safe environment. Wonderful small town atmosphere. If you are moving to the area, you can't do better than Lake Orion Schools.

Posted March 23, 2006

I must say that I was very surprised when I read the reviews about LOHS. I recently graduated, and I enjoyed every year of high school. I am now a student at MSU and if there is one thing I have learned, its that I attended an excellent high school. Many other students here I feel do not have the education I have. LOHS provided excellent extracurricular activities, and the teachers were wonderful. My coaches and instructers were very understanding, allowing me to participate in multiple activities and still maintain a high GPA. I found help whenever I needed it, and felt safe at school. The school is large, but it only takes a few days to learn the pattern and figure out how to get around. Some of the front office staff is unfriendly, but others are highly cooperative. In the future I would want my children to attend.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 22, 2006

I'm really suprised by the comments that were left about Lake Orion. I'm a senior at the high school and I have enjoyed all four years there. I haven't seen a majority of the things that others were complaining about occur in the school. The teachers and office staff are great, and those of you that talked about the school size are obviously just looking for reasons to complain. It needs to be big considering the amount of students that are attending the school. The extracurricular activities are great, and I love having a wide variety of classes to choose from. LOHS has been a great school for me, and I would love have my kids attend it someday.

Posted March 6, 2006

I was very surprised to read the responses about the High School. My daughter graduated in 1999 and I currently have a nineth grader. I have been very happy with the school. The block scheduling is a big plus. The teachers are very responsive, even when ed-line is being replaced. It is the districts responcibility to make sure our children are offered every advantage educationally and I think that the school does a fine job. The extra curricular activities my children have participated in have been relatively fair. There are a lot of children to accomodate and they each excel in different things. I think the school is one to be proud of.

Posted December 17, 2005

LOHS really isn't that great. Some of the academic programs are ok but not the best. The principal is really out of touch with the students. Football players sadly get special treatment and the head football coach is an assistant principal who really doesn't know anything at all. Yes, it is easy to sneak in too even with the cameras they added it's sad that LOHS is like this when it has so much potential but this school is really bad, I really wish that LOHS could live up to its potential but it really doesn't.

Posted December 10, 2005

Our family is relocating to Northern Oakland. Rochester, Clarkston, and Lake Orion are the school districts selected. After several visits, LOHS failed in providing us with a warm and friendly welcome. The front office is located at the other end of the entrance which could be a safety concern. Receptionist didn t smile. The second visit we were able to walk by the security. There were no friendly good mornings. Went to the career center she was on the phone and sensed we caught her on a bad day. We left without getting answers. The counseling office greeted us with a hello how I can help you. The purpose of our visit was to see the day to day operations and the environment for our children. The comparison of the MEAP along with other data and parent/student comments have lead us to purchase a home in the Rochester Adams school district.

Posted December 6, 2005

Warning to parents, LOHS is not a caring and nurturing environment for your children. We have decided to give up and move to Clarkston Schools! The high school is out of control. Kids who have broken into the school have not been prosecuted (this would be a black mark against LOHS). The principal makes you feel as if you are the only one with a complaint. His reaction is like this is the first he has heard of it. He does nothing to get at the truth. Now I understand why other parents don't come forth. Football player and the coach get away with being bullies. If you don't go along with the program (their way) your OUT! I worry about the safety of our children. My husband had enough of the lies so we will be leaving. The service learning program is lost along with my sons hours.

Posted December 3, 2005

The quality of academic programs at LOHS are considered good. Students have too many choices the school is too big and does not offer you a sense you feel welcomed. The extracurricular activities are available but not needed at the high school should be focused at the lower levels. I agree with the others who say Football players have different rules. This is well known in Lake Orion after all Football brings in money and thats what its all about in Lake Orion schools the money not the kids. Parent involvement could be improved if they would have friendly people working in the career center. I agree with the others on this posting the person who handles the internships and service learning was rude to my children. She wears another face when I go in to talk. This all goes along with the lack of leadership at LOHS.

Posted December 1, 2005

I have one son at Waldon and one at the HS. We've been in this district for 10 years. Although I was greatly dissatisfied with the redistricting that took place several years ago sending my children into an assortment of changes we weren't prepared for, we've been happy at the elementary and MS level. However, something needs to be done at the HS. I worked as a sub teacher at the HS on many occasions-sometimes for 3-4 weeks at a time for 3 years. NEVER met the principle. Didn't even know if it was male or female. Strange isn't it? Also was sickened by several male teachers that 'stalk' anything in a skirt. Would be a little concerned for daughters attending here. Teachers turn a blind eye to suspicious behavior. Many seem to do this out of fear of retaliation from students. Discipline for very minor infractions but not the biggies.

Grade level

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

610 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

600 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

603 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

600 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

601 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

603 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 3% 18%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 18%N/A48%
Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

495 East Scripps Rd