Windemere Park Charter Academy

Charter | K-8 | 720 students

Living in Lansing

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $107,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $740.

Posted March 26, 2010

The private school? Actually, it WAS perfect. I've never heard the language out of those students that I heard out of Windemere kids! Where is the teacher when this stuff is going on? The teasing, the ridicule....UNREAL. Should be ZERO tolerance. ZERO! At a private school level (at least ours), it wasn't. The only thing 'wrong' with the private level is that they don't have funding to help everyone in need of tuition assistance. But to sit there and criticize someone else's experience and opinion is COMPLETELY uncalled for and downright rude. But....it proves my experiences and reinforces my opinion of the school and the clientele (can't even respect someone else's experience and opinions!!! Unreal!!) If you go to schoolmatters.com, you will SEE the actual test scores and how they compare to East Lansing, Okemos, etc. They DON'T!! That, too, speaks clearly. .

Posted March 25, 2010

What a great school. We have truly had a great experience here ever since my son started Windemere Park in the Young 5s. He is now in 1st grade. We truthfully only intended to 'do' Young 5s here and then transfer into Waverly (our district). However, we have had such a great experience I am willing to do the pick up/drop off (which truthfully run very smoothly) instead of putting him on the bus. Windemere is a diverse school and the fact that my son attends school with students from different backgrounds is a benefit. However, I strongly believe that education should open our minds to the world and people around us (in all their differences). Clearly, I disagree with the parent who defined Windemere as a 'ghetto.'

Posted March 25, 2010

This is our second year at Windemere. I previously homeschooled our children and this was the first school they had ever attended. I have children in 8th, 5th, 3rd, and 2nd grade with another little one that will start school in two more years. I was concerned that the transition from home to school would be rough on the kids. My concerns were quickly erased. The teachers were amazing with all my kids. The school's tough rules about anti-bullying and respect for classmates was impressive and provided a safe environment for their learning. I am totally pleased in every way with this school. There are many wonderful families that attend with us and the events are always enjoyable social events :-) I have suggested our school to several of my friends who now attend and they are as pleased as I am!

Posted February 8, 2010

My son has been at Windemere Park for 2 years now. I love that he is in a 1st grade all-boys class. The gender specific learning classroom has really allowed the boys (and girls in the other class) to excell! What's even cooler is that there is still a traditional blended class as well. It's like the best of all worlds! The moral focus that is taught every month is fabulous and reinforces the values I teach to my children at home. I love WPCA and can't wait until my younger child is old enough to start. The teachers are great and communication between home and school is top notch.

Posted December 14, 2009

Our kids are excelling at this school. The teachers and staff are the most dedicated we have ever encountered. Our kids are receiving the kind of challenging and individualized education that encourages them to put forth their very best. The moral focus emphasis teaches common sense rules on how to be a decent human being and reinforces our family's values about honest, kindness, respect and personal responsibility.

Posted December 10, 2009

Windemere Park is and excellent school. I brought my children here on the recommendation of a co-worker and am so glad that I did. The teachers and staff are highly qualified and dedicated to giving a quality education. They push the children beyond limits and that is why most children leave the school heads and shoulders above the rest! Having a child requiring special education for the last 2 years, after just 3 months his improvment has been absolutely phenominal! Parental involvement is strong and the moral and character curriculum are great things that make Windemere so great.

Posted December 8, 2009

Best school in the Lansing area! The teachers are professional and they really care for their students in all facets of their lives. They are great communicators with keeping in touch with parents. My daughter loves this school and I cannot wait till my boys attend. They just recently built a new gym and expanded. It is a safe school. I also really appreciate the uplifting of morals they value and teach there.

Posted October 3, 2009

Incredible staff with a strong curriculum the emphasizes reading, self-discipline, and character building.

Posted May 27, 2009

I love WPCA! Drop off and pick up time is a nightmare with only one way in/out, but I hear that is changing over the summer. Other than that, the staff is caring and attentive, the curriculum is excellent, the moral focus is wonderful, and they even offer tons of extracurricular activities and events so students aren't missing out on anything! This school is the best!

Posted April 1, 2009

Windemere Park Charter Academy is a wonderful school. The teacher has been very informative about the progress my child has made, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the principal is very hands on and personable. This has been a wonderful experience for my and my daughter. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted March 17, 2009

Teachers and staff are top notch, very devoted to the ideals of the school. parental involvement is unmatched. great learning environment despite a facility that is far too crowded and with an inadequate gym. My impression over the last 3 years is that the National Heritage Academy is not responding to this need. Despite this, the staff and student deserve 5 stars!

Posted December 30, 2008

This is our second year at WPCA and we are so thankful for this school! We feel like we are part of a family, since all of the teachers and staff make sure they know who everyone is. The teachers work with each student to make sure they are where they need to be based on their individual needs. The high moral standards and character development is what truly sold us on this school. The parent involvement is great and it really makes a difference in how the school runs. I cannot say enough great things about WPCA! :-)

Posted December 21, 2008

Great Faculty, the values and prospectives of this school are the reason my granddaughter attends this school. She is in kindergarten, and I intend to see her and her baby sister go all the way through to 8th grade. Thank you.

Posted September 21, 2008

This school is THE best school in the Lansing area with certainty. The students outscore all of the area schools on 96% of the MEAP. They have a moral focus curriculum that is integrated into each day and monthly assemblies on the virtue topics. I never thought I would find a community school (coming from a small town), but I am excited to say that I have found it in WPCA's staff as well as the families there. You are treated like family when you walk in. Safety and security are top notch. The school offers a great extra- curricular program most schools lack, and offers gym, library, art, and music. We were lucky to get in because the waiting list is so long. Apply early! It is worth it! The drop off and pick up is a small price to pay for my kids' educational success. I can't say enough!

Posted May 9, 2008

this is a great school and there is no doubt that i wouldnt send my child there.its in a great comunity and there are great students there.most important there are careing, and helful teachers that are there for each and everyone of those kids[=

Posted December 4, 2007

The school is excellent in terms of staff. Parent involvement is unparalleled. I myself have 2 in the school now and one who went through 8th grade. The extracurricular sports have excellent coaches. However dropping-off and picking up kids from school is ridiculous. It is very dangerous.

Posted October 12, 2007

WPCA is a cut above the rest. My 8th grader finally moved to a public shcool and is a grade ahead in math! Although some of the sports are not as competitive, WPCA still offers a great variety and the music program is outstanding. Parent involvement is required and I feel it is the reason most successful schools are successful. Without parent support, you set your kids and the school to fail. What a blessing WPCA has been to our family. I recommend it to everyone.

Posted October 11, 2007

I love WCPA we have a 1st grader and he has learned so much. The teachers and staff are wonderful. The parent involvement is great as well.

Posted August 30, 2007

This school is excellent in morals.

Posted July 19, 2007

My son started the middle school last fall, he transferred from a private school. The school's standards, staff, and faculty are high and are expected to be met by all students. Students experiencing learning difficulties are helped so that each student will be able on a level playing ground. My son has continued the extracurricular activities (that he had in his private school) such as violin, saxophone, basketball, and soccer. The rewards system is also a great incentive for the students. Parents are very involved and encouraged to participate. The principal is wonderful, what principal do you know will stand outside from 7:40 to 8:05 every single morning and afternoon from 3:10-3:30(rain, sun, or snow) to ensure the children are safely escorted to their parents and the parking lot is running smoothly. The teachers stand outside with their students and ensure they are picked up. This school is great.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

81 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

67 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

72 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

78 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

61 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

62 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

66 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 21% 18%

• (517) 327-0800

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now