Lansing, MI

Posted April 13, 2014
Pleasant View Magnet School is an amazing school. The Art Program, the Dance Program, the Music Program and the core instrucors are dedicated, experienced and talented. I am pleased with the curriculum and extracurriculars on their own, but when you add the Administrators its a parent's dream. Mrs. Shanahan is respected among pupils and esteemed among parents. She knows them by name and hand delivers each student a birthday card. Boku Hendrickson is a mentor to my boys and it is their consistent presence which really unify the school spirit. Patty in the office, is ever efficient and kind. The Art and Talent Performances throughout the year are a sight to behold. Worth watching again on DVD! When you enter the doors of Pleasant View a warmth surrounds you. The magically painted Viola suspended above the foyer tempts you to look around revealing brightly colored walls, theatre seats, drawings and sculptures throughout. If you're there first thing you just may catch the morning announcement filled with interesting facts,encouraging words and a hip tune. My boys love going to school. Everyday. That's a good feeling.

Posted February 19, 2014
I disagree with the review about the arts being "tapas." My child has been there for 5 years and has had. Wonderful experience with her teachers and her arts classes. At the elementary level, students receive instruction in music twice a week, and art, theater and dance fir one lesson a week. In 5th grade, students get to add intensive instruction in an additional arts class - such as dance, theater, band or strings. In middle school, students are able to select two electives, which meet every day. (Those classes include: band, choir, theater, dance, art, pe, creative writing, journalism and several others.). My child began reading and creating music in kindergarten! She has brought home beautiful art work. Many of the teachers incorporate the arts into their daily instruction, I know my child has incountered this with at least 3 of her classroom teachers. I am thankful Lansing has a school such as Pleasant View. I look forward to my child being there through 8th grade!

Posted April 30, 2013
This school obviously has a great arts program. With the funding being cut this year from those types of programs I am happy I made the choice to send my daughter there for her first year of school. We absolutely love her teacher Lauren Gewirtz. She is great with the kids and I really appreciate her teaching style. We also love that she uses song and singing for her learning experience. There have been a few kids in the class that have made it a challenging experience for my daughter and others. I attribute this to more of their homelife and the parents style of parenting. She handles these situations the best that she can. The principal Mrs. Shanihan is great too. She actually remembers the parents and students. It is easy to tell that she is very involved with the school and the children that attend it. That kind of leadership and attention is much needed in our communities. We just really love and appreciate the principals and the teachers we have incountered. Now it is time for the parents to get on board too with compassion, patience, and active roles in the children's behavior and learning. I really love this school and so does my daughter!

Posted September 28, 2011
This school is incredible. I moved 1 1/2 hrs to be close for my child to attend on a daily basis. The school is very rare, due to the fact that it has a performing arts focus and starts in Kindergarten - my child can go to Theatre, Art, MUsic (instrumental, vocal), and dance. School districts are talking about cutting back with art education and or doing away with it all together. While this school has an art focus. This school is not an elitest place that caters only to those that take test well, those that some call "gifted" all our welcome at this school. IT is simply an art focused education that is free and open to all. It however is first come first serve and even if you live in the neighborhood you have to register - it is a first come first serve basis.. the sooner you register for the school year the better, as I hear they are wait lists. This school while amazing has suffered from budget cut backs... But I love the teachers as they are amazing, I love taking my child to school and I love picking my child up. The school has a very very positive feeling and there needs to be more schools like this school. More kids need this focus.

Posted September 17, 2011
Awesome learning environment! Our daughter excelled at Pleasant View. Ms. Shanahan knows all of her students by name and has truly made the school a family. The dedication of the staff is phenomenal. The emphasis on arts affords the children many more opportunities than other area schools. The gifted and talented program kept our daughter engaged and excited. The level of parental involvement is also very impressive. We couldn't have made a better choice!

Pleasant View Magnet School 1

Posted March 19, 2011
I remove my child from this school because she was being physically assualted. My child was behind in reading. I volunteered at the school on a daily basis and no one bothered to tell me she was behind in reading.

Posted May 11, 2010

Pleasant View Magnet School 0

Posted April 21, 2010
Pleasant View is a magnet school that focuses on the performing and visual arts and integrates the arts into the academic curriculum. It is a school of almost 600 talented children that are enthusiastic about learning! What could be better?

Pleasant View Magnet School 0

Posted April 21, 2010
It's just a great school. The staff is phenomenal.

Posted April 21, 2010
Parent involvement in impressive. Behind every great school, are great parents, teachers, and enthusiastic students!

Pleasant View Magnet School
4501 Pleasant Grove Road, Lansing, MI  48910
Last modified Pleasant View Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pleasant View Magnet School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top