Lansing, MI

Post Oak Magnet School 2

Posted May 22, 2014
My son transferred into the Lansing school system from another state. He attended an IB school there and we thought the opportunity to continue his IB education would be beneficial to him here. Big mistake! The school lacks academic rigor and the parents are as (visibly) vested in their children's success as those we've encountered previously. I honestly feel as thought we've lost a year, but then, what other options are there in this community.

Posted April 29, 2014
This school is amazing. I have had children at Post Oak for 8 years, all in the Chinese Immersion program starting in pre-school. The principal is a true professional, eager to work out any issue you might have. She really understands all the goofy things kids do to get in trouble and how to handle it graciously. The teachers are so dedicated, often going above and beyond. They go through extensive training for the IB program at Post Oak. Because of the "restructuring" of the LSD, the teachers have lost their planning time. They are the art, music, and gym teachers as well! That makes parental involvement important! Post Oak has a parent volunteer room to help teachers with busy work like copying, cutting out, etc. The support staff is also exceptional. Very little turn over, the kids see the same smiling faces year after year and run to hug their lunch ladies and aides!

Posted January 11, 2013
Post Oak is amazing. When I tell people about it they ask is that a public school? The teachers are loving and communicate with the parents. The principal is kind and open to parent's suggestions. LSD recently added a fruit and vegetable bar to lunch and the children and of course I love it. They are learning a foreign language. Susan Laoshi is the bomb! She teachers the children traditional Chinese dances afterschool for free! I would have picked this school for myself if I could have. They have plenty of recess. I have 3 children who have attended from pre-K through 2nd. I was very hesitant about the recent change from pre k-5 to pre k-3rd. But it seems to be working out well for our children. Great job LSD! The dedication of the teachers makes the parents want to be more involved. We see our teachers loving our kids and we want to know how can we help

Posted January 29, 2012
I have two kids that attend Post Oak, and they have both began the Chinese program beginning kindergarten and they both are excelling in american studies as well as the Chinese studies. I wish every child was as fortune as mine to get what Post Oak provides as far education and activities and leadership and parent involvement no one shows they care like we do at Post Oak.

Posted March 22, 2010

Post Oak Magnet School 0

Posted October 03, 2009
Love the Chinese program and the afterschool Y-Care.

Posted October 04, 2008
I absolutely love Post Oak school & the staff members. My 2nd grader has been learning chinese since kindergarten. The teachers are excellent. I really enjoy how Post Oak is always trying to involve the parents in their child (rens) education.

Posted June 04, 2008

Posted April 28, 2008

Posted April 22, 2006
Unlike the bad publicity that the media loves to portray about the lsd, there should be media coverage for all of the wonderful events that occur at this school! parents are always at the school and invited by the staff throughout the entire day! if there are any issues the staff works with the family to straighten them out. Spaghetti dinners, talent shows, winter music programs (embracing diversity), conferences, middle school visitations, local business partnerships, literacy nights, book fairs, interactions with other schools, lots of field trips! just to name a few off the top of my head! the academics for our 4th grader includes algebra (not exploratory either!) and geometry! innovative writing assignments and an extensive literacy focus! lots of cross-curricular variety! the music instruction includes the required recorder (4th grade) and they really learn to read music notes! two very impressive points grade-level teacher collaboration and parent curriculum involvement! very high-quality learning here!

Post Oak Magnet School