Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

The daily school pledge and 3 B's (Be Respectful. be Responsible. Be Safe) teach this by example.

As a fifth grade teacher at North, I wish to thank all of the wonderful families that have been so supportive and appreciative over the past four years. It is this sense of family commitment that makes North special. Thank you, students and families!

This school is a great example of the commitment that Lansing continues to have, despite all of its economic difficulties. North is lead by an outstanding Principal who has a heart that is bigger than the building. The staff is professional and caring, with a special shout out to Mr. Heiler, Ms. Brace, and Ms. Laurens, who are among the most creative teachers I have ever met. The number of English as Second Language students and Special Education students would tax any school, but the North teachers just roll up their collective sleeves and handle it all. If I had another child in the elementary schools - this is where I would want them to go.

The principal is the best. This school is multicultural and multilingual...therefore, present with many challenges daily. The Principal rises to the occasion as well as the support staff. A special mention for Mrs. Heiller the Kindergarten teacher. If your child happens to be fortunate enough to be in her class, know that your child will be ahead of all the other first graders. These two educators are ranked amongst the best.

My oldest went there for kindergarten and doing what any child does got investigative with the other kids. I do not condone such behavior but I do grasp it and understand it. Several times I was called by the staff to come and deal with the above issue of my child touching others or acting inappropriately with other kids. He informed me of the situation or his side of it while at the door of his class room. I am standing there with the principle and the supposed behavioral specialist and I look down at his table and watch as a little girl goes under the table and makes a 'gobbling' sound in the crotches of each of the boys as they laugh. Both the principle and the counselor responded that they didnt see it even though it was right under their collective noses. The principle even laughed while it was going on! My son was suspended for 3 days and CPS was involved as part of their supposed investigation. I withdrew my son after CPS informed us that it was little more than frivolous and that none of the other kids mentioned were even punished lightly for their involvement as well. It was a nightmare experience and my son being the only white child was the only one punished.

My Son enjoyed his 3rd grade year. Mrs. Hoffer & Mrs. Johnson are excellent teachers. I have also enjoyed having a new Principal Mrs. Barlow what a breath of fresh air. I am looking foward to the 4th grade year.

I really enjoy North. I went there and now my oldest is leaving there, while my youngest is entering. The school does extremely well with integrating special needs children with non-special needs kids and the children gain as a result of this. Sign language is taught in the school- an added plus! The principal has a great handle on each of the children but may need a bit more development with interacting with the staff. Most of the teachers are great.

Last modified North School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.