Posted June 22, 2014
North School offers a culturally diverse and academically challenging experience to K-6 graders, with students from around the world and fully-inclusive classrooms for physically and health-impaired students, as well as a hearing impaired classroom and an autism classroom. Our diverse population is what makes us a family. Come and see what we are all about!

Posted November 15, 2013
This school is a great example of the commitment that Lansing continues to have, despite all of its economic difficulties. North is lead by an outstanding Principal who has a heart that is bigger than the building. The staff is professional and caring, with a special shout out to Mr. Heiler, Ms. Brace, and Ms. Laurens, who are among the most creative teachers I have ever met. The number of English as Second Language students and Special Education students would tax any school, but the North teachers just roll up their collective sleeves and handle it all. If I had another child in the elementary schools - this is where I would want them to go.

Posted February 11, 2013
The principal is the best. This school is multicultural and multilingual...therefore, present with many challenges daily. The Principal rises to the occasion as well as the support staff. A special mention for Mrs. Heiller the Kindergarten teacher. If your child happens to be fortunate enough to be in her class, know that your child will be ahead of all the other first graders. These two educators are ranked amongst the best.

North School 1

Posted April 15, 2011
My oldest went there for kindergarten and doing what any child does got investigative with the other kids. I do not condone such behavior but I do grasp it and understand it. Several times I was called by the staff to come and deal with the above issue of my child touching others or acting inappropriately with other kids. He informed me of the situation or his side of it while at the door of his class room. I am standing there with the principle and the supposed behavioral specialist and I look down at his table and watch as a little girl goes under the table and makes a 'gobbling' sound in the crotches of each of the boys as they laugh. Both the principle and the counselor responded that they didnt see it even though it was right under their collective noses. The principle even laughed while it was going on! My son was suspended for 3 days and CPS was involved as part of their supposed investigation. I withdrew my son after CPS informed us that it was little more than frivolous and that none of the other kids mentioned were even punished lightly for their involvement as well. It was a nightmare experience and my son being the only white child was the only one punished.

Posted September 12, 2008
My Son enjoyed his 3rd grade year. Mrs. Hoffer & Mrs. Johnson are excellent teachers. I have also enjoyed having a new Principal Mrs. Barlow what a breath of fresh air. I am looking foward to the 4th grade year.

North School 2

Posted December 09, 2007

North School 4

Posted January 01, 2007
I really enjoy North. I went there and now my oldest is leaving there, while my youngest is entering. The school does extremely well with integrating special needs children with non-special needs kids and the children gain as a result of this. Sign language is taught in the school- an added plus! The principal has a great handle on each of the children but may need a bit more development with interacting with the staff. Most of the teachers are great.

Posted March 18, 2004
I want to say, never have I been so impressed with the staff of North Elementary, I appreciate the willingness to be a B.O.B. (bending over backwards!) to help a student succeed. My daughter has a teacher that is willing to do this, and I am seeing the results, and she is a shining example of her teaching! Thank you!

North School 4

Posted February 26, 2004
My daughter goes to North and her teacher is the best. She not only teaches her about math reading and other subjects but also about respecting others and herself. She really makes my daughter do her best.

Posted July 23, 2003
My son has went to North since kindergarten and he has had the best teachers. My daughter is starting this year and I can't wait, because I know she will get the same quality teachers as my son. Mrs. Ahmad is one of the best leaders in the city in my book. She knows the students by name and is fair in all that she does with the children. I would definantly recommend this school to any parent. They would feel comfortable knowing that their child is being taught by some of the best and cared for while they are gone all day.

North School
333 East Miller Road, Lansing, MI  48911
Last modified North School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top