Lansing Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 595 students

We are best known for academic excellence.

Living in Lansing

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $62,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $680.

Posted March 11, 2014

We really love Lansing Christian! Our oldest daughter just graduated after 13 years at LCS and she has come back to thank her teachers for how well prepared she was for college. Our other 2 children are enjoying their high school years there and are so grateful for the positive atmosphere and excellent academics! Their is consistency and reinforcement for students as teachers partner with parents. We are grateful for the christian values and like-mindness. Their is great support and encouragement to do your best whether it is in academics or athletics, student senate or science olympia. There is so much to choose from. Please come and see for yourself!

Posted March 7, 2014

We love this school! Our kids have gone since kindergarten. The teachers have been WONDERFUL. They are excellent at their jobs and they truly care about each of their students. We love how they integrate a Biblical worldview into every subject. The kids participate in chapel leadership and serve in the community through the school as well. Perfect size classes as well and parents are quite involved. The principals and school board are always willing to listen to any concerns as well.

Posted March 3, 2014

We absolutely love this school. My son is in preschool here and he wakes up excited and ready for school! The teachers are so wonderful. They are kind, encouraging and uplifting. Lansing Christian is a blessing to our family and we cannot wait to see what God has in store for my children here.

Posted January 17, 2014

I absolutely love my school. I have attended Lansing Christian School since Pre-School, and I definitely think that I am prepared for college. Over the course of high school, I have taken 4 years of language classes, 2 AP science classes, AP US History, and AP Calculus. The teachers are incredible and genuinely care about the well-being of the students. I am very close with almost everyone in my class and have made many lifelong friends.

Posted January 15, 2014

I have attended Lansing Christian since kindergarten and feel so bitter-sweet about my graduation this year (2014). I love my school and feel very ready for college and life, spiritually, intellectually, and socially. My school provides many AP class options, has an excellent choir program, and great athletics. Most teachers bond excellently with students. However, just because it's a Christian school does not mean bullies are not present and, unfortunately, there is favoritism from the disciplinary authorities towards more wealthy families, especially towards the Granger family. This should not discourage you from sending your child(ren) to Lansing Christian. The students are great. All of them. Small class sizes make learning easy and fun. I knew almost every high school student every year of my high school career and had friends in every grade almost every year. I graduated with a class of around 50 students, which is about average. Lansing Christian is pricey, but it's also worth every cent.

Posted October 9, 2013

My family is so thankful for Lansing Christian School. It is clear the teachers and administrators genuinely care about the students, not just academically, but spiritually as well. I love that my daughter is getting a wonderful education, building her character, and growing in her relationship with Jesus.

Posted March 27, 2013

The Christian education my children receive here is excellent. The curriculum and teachers are very good. I cannot say enough good things about the fall and spring sports programs for girls.

Posted January 18, 2013

We have 4 children at Lansing Christian Elementary School, and we have loved our 6 years there! The teachers are absolutely wonderful - they love the students and it shows in their daily interaction with them. We love knowing that what we teach at home is reinforced at school by the teachers, administration and other staff. LCS is a wonderful school!

Posted October 15, 2012

We have been at LCS for 5 years and can truly say that Christ is at the head of the school. The teachers assist the children in acquiring an internal moral code of behavior based upon the Bible. The curriculum is consistent with the inerrant Word of God and is designed to train the whole child. My three children are thriving academically and have built wonderful relationships with other children of all ages. The school has community building activities to help the families meet one another and the children are encouraged to help new students feel welcome. The school (pre-k thru twelfth grade) is all on one campus and gives great opportunity for the older students to mentor the younger ones occasionally. My favorite is when the 12th grade bible class goes to the kindergarten room to pray together with the kids. The children mature in Christ and are fully equipped to enter the world as young men and women of God.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 11, 2012

Missing LCS! Our son just graduated from LCS and we are missing the community of teachers, administrators, students and parents! We are not a family of great wealth, we are not alumni or family of those employed there! We were simply a family looking for a place where our son could get an outstanding education and yet be known personally by his teachers and administrators. We drove 40 mins, one way for two years to get our son to LCS! During his four years he grew tremendously emotionally, acedemically and SPIRITUALLY! He loved his four years at LCS and we can not say enough good about our experience!

Posted October 10, 2012

We have had amazing experiences at this school. We have 3 students who have developed both intellectually and spiritually as a result of the school and their amazing teachers. My daughter has friends in public school but loves being at Lansing Christian School where she can grow as a Christian and where teachers will work with her to become as successful a student as possible. Upper level students mentor younger students and there are bible studies happening throughout the school. Teachers are vested in the success of the students and are able to provide students tools for living their entire life beyond just the basic academics. We love being a part of the Lansing Christian School Community.

Posted October 27, 2011

Have experienced this school from pre-school to High School and found a caring community with high academic standards. There are lots of opportunities for involvement and the students are challenged to excel in every area.

Posted August 13, 2011

Beware! My son attended preschool and kindergarten at LCS. The school retains kindergarten students at an unusually high rate, with approximately 60% of the children in his class repeating kindergarten. This policy has serious consequences and there is no empirical evidence for retaining children in kindergarten, especially for social and emotional development. Early retention has been associated with increased bullying, and this school definitely has an issue with bullying. The kindergarten teacher recommended my child repeat kindergarten for social and emotional development, despite being cognitively advanced. We decided to move him to first grade, the principal was very passive aggressive warning us that he would probably have to repeat first grade. He began first grade and experienced bullying in class and on the playground (where there is little to no supervision). Furthermore, young children are allowed to play violent video games in the quad before school starts, and you will hear, shoot, shoot, kill. Not Christian at all! Our child now attends a Montessori school where he is clearly above grade level and has no issues with bullying or getting along with others!

Posted July 30, 2011

The school gets way too involved in the students personnel lives. Also the principal is inexperienced and does not know how to handle delicate situations. the one good thing about the school is the kids, the kids there would do anything for each other.

Posted March 10, 2011

Unfortunately my child attended middle and high school here. I felt like this school was more a private school than a christian school. I was shocked by what seemed like rampant favoritism as well as the pretense that it wasn't happening! This favoritism wasn't just toward children of big money donors, but also students who had a parent that was a teacher or administrator at the school. Because of the small size of this school this did have a huge impact. It also affected a students ability to fairly participate in sports and extracurricular activities. Many students were just not friendly. As a result, a number of new students tried the school but left. This caused tuition to remain high since the student body did not grow as much as it could have. There were some excellent teachers there but many are gone now. I would not recommend this school. I am surprised at the other ratings.

Posted July 7, 2010

My son has had a great experience at LCS so far in the two years he's been there. I can't imagine a more supportive, enriching environment for his formative years. He is excited about his faith and was reading as a preschooler - both of which I attribute much of to the great instruction and environment at LCS. And as a parent, I appreciate the supportive Christian community at LCS that I've been able to be a part of.

Posted July 6, 2010

LCS has first-rate leadership, caring teachers, very involved parents, and academic programs that rival any other school in the area. My kids also enjoy top-notch music and sports programs. We are so happy we found LCS!

Posted July 6, 2010

As a proud alum and parent of two high schoolers, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the community we have. My children are challenged academically, spirtually, and physically through a wide array of opportunities. Just one look at them and it's obvious how happy they are!

Posted July 1, 2010

LCS has a great sense of community where students are taught respect for themselves and those around them. The teachers are incredibly dedicated.

Posted June 30, 2010

We started out thinking we would just send the boys for preschool. Twelve years later they are still here. The teachers are excellent, know each of their students and care about them. The high school offers a good variety of electives, including fine arts and language, in addition to the college prep and AP courses. The student, parents, teachers, and administrators become family -- doing whatever it takes to enable our students to be successful.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%
African-American 3% 19%
Multiracial 1% 2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students None
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Hearing impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Ms. Wendy Hofman
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI
  • CSI
Fax number
  • (517) 882-5849

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • Visual impairments
Foreign languages taught
  • French
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school