St. Paul Lutheran School

Private | PK-9 | 165 students

We teach the way of Christ. How to live and how to witness for Him.

Living in Lapeer

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $82,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $720.

Posted November 24, 2013

ST Paul Lutheran has been the most amazing school. My daughter and I are more than pleased with everything about ST Paul. After leaving and spending a year in another school we realized just how wonderful ST Paul really is. We have returned and my daughter continues to excel on every level! We love St Paul!

Posted October 28, 2013

A great christian environment for children to grow while teaching them the skills and training to suceed later in life and more importantly growing their relationship with Christ.

Posted October 22, 2013

St. Paul has been exceptional in the spiritual and academic education my daughter has received. The staff cares about the children and helping them reach their greatest potential in all areas of their lives.

Posted October 19, 2013

I have had both of my children (Anna and Kenny) in St. Paul Lutheran's School. My daughter was there from K-5th grade and my son Kenny has been there since K and plans to go through 8th grade. I can't say enough great things about the school, the programs, the one on one instruction, care and support. It feels like a family there and my son looks forward to going to school and learning (how many schools can't you say that about? Mr. Sturm (The Principal at St. Paul) goes ABOVE AND BEYOND to make each child feel special, welcomed and encouraged. He is highly respected and genuinely well loved by the students...I love St. Paul Lutheran School...it was one of the best decisions we have ever made for our family.

Posted October 19, 2013

St. Paul is an exceptional school! The teachers and staff provide an environment that is academically challenging and superior to any school. The parents and teachers work together to ensure values such as honesty, integrity, and respect are always demonstrated. I wouldn't put my daughter in any other school!

Posted October 19, 2013

St. Paul Lutheran is such a wonderful school. I have two young sons who both attend and they are learning so much, not to mention being filled with the spirit of our lord! All of the students and staff truly care about one another. It is really wonderful to see how far my sons have come just in this short year so far. I would and will recommend this school to anyone who is looking for great education as well as wanting their child to have a close relationship with God.

Posted October 19, 2013

My family absolutely loves this school. Each staff member truly cares about each student. It is such a loving and supportive place for children to learn and grow.

Posted October 19, 2013

St Paul's school is such a giving school with the friendliest students, teachers, staff, and parents. It really is a big family trying to do the best for the kids. Unfortunately, there is a charter school down the road that is free because if it wasn't I'm almost positive the school would have a higher attendance.

Posted October 19, 2013

St. Paul is faith based and family oriented. I would not want my kids to be anywhere else. Speaking as a staff member, we are united in the common goal to provide a caring and safe learning environment. We set high standards and enable our students to meet those goals. Speaking as a parent, I am amazed by the work my kids are successfully completing, and they look forward to going to school each day. If they are happy, so am I!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 19, 2013

St Paul Lutheran School is an outstanding school for my son. He started there for a couple of years in preschool, and we liked it so well we decided to continue there with kindergarten. He is now in 3rd grade & loves going to school. The staff & programs are outstanding and the smaller class sizes means the kids get extra one on one attention. We couldn't be happier here at St. Paul. The cost is reasonable - I would recommend it to anyone!

Posted October 19, 2013

My children have attended St Paul for 7yrs. We are blessed with Staff and Families commited not only to education but to common principles. God Faith and Community. Our focus on "the children" first is the secret of success. Come see what St Paul has that public schools don't. " VISION".

Posted October 19, 2013

St Paul Lutheran School has an incredible "team spirit." All of the children work together. Older children serve as wonderful examples to the younger ones, who look up to them with admiration. This is true in the hallways, in the classroom, in chapel, and especially in the team sports. My kids have grown and matured following in the footsteps of older kids at St Paul. It isn't just the children, but the leadership including the teachers and staff that set examples and encourage this type of "team spirit." It's a great place for children to grow and learn.

Posted October 19, 2013

As I look back on my experiences at St. Paul, the thing that I will never forget is the dedication of the staff and pastors, and how they sincerely loved this school as much as I do. As an alumni, and as I compare now to then, the difference in public and private education is very obvious. Especially at St. Paul, where the math and language departments are far ahead of any other school in the area. Any students who graduates from St. Paul will be ahead; it doesn't matter what school you move on to. It is also such a healthy environment with teacher to student ratio that cant be beat.

Posted May 16, 2013

What a fantastic year! It was amazing to see how much my preschooler has grown. The new curriculum is fantastic! I love the way that letters (both upper and lower case) were presented this year through songs, projects, and play. My son would come home each day and sing me their new letter song and was proud to hang his letter of the week on our letter wall. I appreciated the teacher sending "homework" assignments home periodically to help develop cutting and writing skills. As a parent, it is great to be able to reinforce at home what my child is learning at school. Each time I volunteered in the classroom it was such a treat to see all of the creative ways math and literacy skills were being taught. From patterns, to counting, to letters, cutting, and writing skills St. Paul Preschool has it all! We can't wait to see what the 4 year old class has in store for us next year!

Posted April 30, 2013

Though I love this school, I do have to say that I was disappointed with my child's first year of pre-school. I'm not really sure how our child is supposed to be ready for kindergarten when she can't even identify all of her letters or numbers yet (something...silly me, I thought she would have been shown and taught). I will give this school another chance and hope and pray that my child learns more in the next level of pre-school than she appeared to in the first, otherwise, she won't be ready. My child can already do handprints and paint...she doesn't need to be taught that or have that as a main focus in pre-school. She's there to learn, if I wanted her to spend her short time in class painting and eating snacks then I would have just put her in daycare.

Posted October 3, 2010

This school is fantastic!! This is my daughters second year at St. Paul and I have not been disappointed yet. The curriculum is challenging and the teachers are helpful and really care about my child. My daughter will be attending until eighth grade.

Posted July 19, 2010

St. Paul Lutheran School has everything a family could want. An expanded Child Care Center, a preschool, a K-8 school, and has its home in the same building as the church. A great environment for children and parents.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 18, 2009

St. Paul School is a great place to be a student and a parent. We chose St. Paul for kindergarten and couldn't be happier. Our kids are so far beyond public school it is amazing! It is the best education out there in Lapeer County - bar none. I always get asked two questions about St. Paul. Is it only for Lutherans? No - anyone can attend. And parents always ask about the cost. It is not really that costly as St. Paul allows monthly payments! St. Paul is the best choice in Lapeer.

Posted April 21, 2008

We have sent our Son here for the 3 and the 4 year old preschool program and couldnt be more pleased with the curriculum and the teachers. We are planning on sending him for the new next year 'All Day Kindergarten' program and are looking forward to it.

Posted October 26, 2006

St. Paul is an excellent school. Academics are top notch and the entire staff not only teaches Christian values, they model them. They give you the feeling that you and your child are part of a family and everyone really does care about each other. Its a great place to get your kids off on the right foot - not only in school but in life.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

African-American 0% 19%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%
Multiracial 0% 2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 3:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ray Sturm
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Fax number
  • (810) 245-4082

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Direct instruction
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Multi-aged
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
  • pastoral
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Birding Club
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts
  • Student newspaper
  • Sunshine Club (Outreach)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Many church and school activities!
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

10 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
100
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
100
Students typically come from these schools
Charter

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Outside scholarships
Congregational giving, sponsorships, and co-sponsorships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Christian