Lathrup Village, MI
Students enrolled: 1,025

Southfield-Lathrup High School 2

Posted September 11, 2013
I am a former Student at Lathrup and - I have to say once principal henderson retired the school took a turn for the worse. First they eliminated block scheduling ( a schedule system set up to prepare students for college you would have all your classes on monday and then on tues and thursdays you would have your even hr classes and wed and frids your odd hr classes) then they started instituting a dress code policy (which wasn't finalized until i graduated THANK GOD my brother and cousin told me it was awful) and the focus of the staff switch from the student and achieving success to the staff and making them happy. There were some teachers like Mr Consiglio, and Ms Hayes and oh all the art teachers, they were awesome and cared about you but the others... boy... even my mother going down there did not help most issues and by the time my brother enrolled she decided to switch him his sophmore year it was so bad. All in all lathrup went from an okay school to disappointing

Posted May 24, 2012
this school is terrible it is awful. all they care about is the DRESS CODE! the teachers cant teach. they dont take accurate grades, they dont even carer about the students, the suspend people left and right for dress code making it hard for us to get an education. i do not advise anyone to place there child in this environment. we cant afford any supplies. the privelages of our students have been taking away for what the students of former years have done. They treat the seniors better and treat the underclassman like nothing.

Posted June 23, 2011
Only Southfield Schools would find that 4 out of 10 as exceptional. Exageration and false pride do not make a good school system. Why don't all the band programs in the whole district participate in state band festivals, because they are terrible. Their excuse is the system is racist, when they cannot play music with more than four or five notes at a time. They host music festivals where they give themselves first place because it won't happen anywhere else.

Posted August 02, 2009

Posted June 14, 2009
this school is terrible my daughter experienced the worst time there the dress code is more important to them the the academics and theyres too many fights with kids getting arrrested i suggest another school because yes like everyone had said this is turning into a detroit school and that is unacceptable for the kids who does want to learn that they have to suffer in this poor environment

Southfield-Lathrup High School 0

Posted December 12, 2008
Southfield Lathrup is a Terrible!! high school, the staff is to concerned on what the students are wearing unstead of what they are learning. there are dangerous gangs and all they do is fight{seriously} they even had to get extra security, and i know u dnt want your children in that kind of environment. i went there last year and all the students did was disrecpect the teachers..and they cant control their classrooms.....I left lathrup to go to Harrison high school were the standards are muchh higher..and has extreme diversity unlike S-L.

Posted October 04, 2008
I submitted a 'five star' review in 2005 when my son was a freshman. He's now a senior with a 3.65 AP GPA. I again announce that SF-L and the school district administration is outstanding! I'm a verey demanding parent. Even with a change in leadership, SF-L maintains quality and high standards. All schools have issues. However, there's still consistent effort by SF-L to deliver high-quality education. Honors and AP program are still stellar. The band is still state and nationally ranked. DECA teams brought home top awards. The list of school activities available is long. Parent participation continues to increase with their child's extra-curricular activities. PTSA has 236 active members. School security is effective. Most important... my son is being courted by 'top-shelf' schools. Besides family parenting, his school experience at SF-L has greatly contributed to his success. Stephanie English (Parent of 2009 senior)

Southfield-Lathrup High School 0

Posted July 04, 2008
I am a Junior...and I am very disappointed that I have to leave Lathrup and this is an excellent school but I love this school no matter what the other kids say that disses this school the security, teachers, and prinicpals care about the saftey and the maturity of the children at Lathrup but the kids don't realize that. I love this school and I don't want to leave.

Southfield-Lathrup High School 3

Posted May 07, 2008
This school is WAY too focused and what the children are wearing then what they are learning. A lot of the student don't follow dress code and they don't seem to learn differently. The whole dress code policy id stupid. Most of the extra stuff is dumb too. Some aren't run by teachers and have no organization. I don't like going to this school and I think that people should know that. Schools in another district would probally be better. They are better rated and the child is more likely to get a better education. P.S. Schools in other districts have no dress code and still have smarter kids... I don't think that it's what they wear. The students are so focused on being in dress code that they don't have time for their studies.

Posted August 14, 2007
I am so very pleased with Southfield-Lathrup High School, and everyone who assists with the success of the students. My niece just graduated from this school. I have been pleased with all of her teachers, principals, and others who work there. It is a wonderful school for all students! It also has great educational opportunities for students to enter specialized academies. These academies provide college prep classes. My niece just graduated from the medical academy, and is a Freshman at Western Michigan University. Her goal is to become a physician. I strongly feel that Southfield-Lathrup High School, has prepared her for success as she continues to pursue her dreams. The Southfield School District is outstanding in every way, and I would highly recommend this district and any school in Southfield to all parents seeking outstanding qualities in elementary, middle, and high school education for for their children!

Southfield-Lathrup High School
19301 West 12 Mile Road, Lathrup Village, MI  48076
Last modified Southfield-Lathrup High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southfield-Lathrup High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top