Coolidge Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 484 students

Posted August 15, 2014

My son had a nice experience at Coolidge that went downhill every year, with the worst being in 4th grade. The teachers started to not care about the children or parents and the principal did nothing to change anything. The teacher would not use email or website to help us know due dates. Instead, my 9 year old was expected to be fully equipped to recall everything. He did develop this ability to be more organized by May and in the meantime, decided he hates school. He was excelling at reading and math until 4th grade - now he has fallen back. He's lost and he is discouraged. I became discouraged when I picked him up at 3:30pm to find he and his classmates were packed up and waiting for the 3:58p.m. dismissal and the teachers were not in their rooms but yelling "quiet!!" Down the halls. Livonia Public Schools failed my son and we're moving onward to private education.

Posted November 22, 2011

Both of my children attend coolidge. I love this school, the teachers are fantastic and very helpful! The pta is great, the only thing I did not like is Mrs. Kalec the principal. She is very unfriendly and dismissive. Other than that we love the school, and my kids have really enjoyed it!

Posted May 16, 2011

Walking through the halls at Coolidge I have noticed a significant increase in the positive behavior of students. Our school participates Positive Behavior Support program and implements it quite well. All students seem to be aware of and adhere to the the schools Be Respectful, Be Responsible and Be Safe motto. There is affirmation for those students who always seem to behave well. Consequences for those who don't. For the kids who make the occasional bad choice, but are generally well behaved there is a specific consequence, but the program still acknowledges the good choices they make. They are able to learn from the poor choice and move on to better ones. The staff all seem to be on the same page which is great for consistency with the kids! WAY TO GO COUGARS! Drawback, PTA seems very weak past couple of years. Seems as if volunteers are lacking.

Posted September 29, 2010

Anyone who walks through the halls of Coolidge Elementary will see extraordinary students and staff. Our teachers do a tremendous job dealing with all behavior issues; which by the way you will find in every school. The principal is terrific; she works hard everyday to make LPS better. We have parents that participate everyday many of which work outside the home. You are not going to find a school that gives you a better or more well rounded education than Coolidge. Coolidge Elementary is a very special place and you would be lucky to have your child attend school there. You'll find someone to write a bad review or have a bad experience everywhere you go. Don't let a few people discourage you from an experience that you will not get anywhere else. Talk to the teachers, principal and other parents and you'll quickly be a believer as well.

Posted September 23, 2010

Great teachers and staff make Coolidge a welcoming nurturing place for my girls!

Posted April 1, 2009

To the parent who commented on 3/4 regarding curriculum. This is chosen by LPS and not a choice of the principal. Any Livonia Elementary school will have this same curriculum. Since you have removed your daughter, you may not be aware of the bullying rubric that was put in place just this school year. It seems to be working quite well. There are specific consequences for each infraction and it is enforced. I agree that there are a few hard to manage students at the school, but that is not the fault of the school, but the fault of their parents. Those kids could be anywhere at any time.

Posted March 4, 2009

It makes me sad to agree with the 1 star reviews. I see the GreatSchools has changed it's rating of 8 to a 6 and I know why. The pricipal is bad - curriculum (Everyday Math??) poor - safety is an issue - bullying and discipline huge issues. Things are getting worse and not better. It is time someone at the Livonia Dept. of Ed wakes up and does something. This school has ruined the elementary experience I had wanted for my daughter, who was teased and suffered from the lack of classroom structure (walk down the hall during the day - it is anything but quiet in these rooms. It is simply chaotic/ADHD) So I have removed her and have tried other schools and am now looking at Catholic School even though we are not Catholic. This is our kids we are talking about - FIX IT!

Posted December 16, 2008

Teachers are ok; principal not parent-friendly; we are thinking of pulling our children out to another LPS school.

Posted January 28, 2008

I agree with the parents who believe this to be a great school. The majority of staff genuinely care about the students and we're not just talking teachers. Everyone knows Mrs. Brisky is the go-to person for a little TLC. We have a custodian who runs an Art Club for the kids - on his own time. The drawback is the principalal, Ann Kalec. She seems more concerned about furthering her career than the children in this school. She is dismissive.

Posted December 18, 2007

I have two children at Coolidge and have found it to be a fine school. I have been very impressed with the faculty and staff I have met in parent teacher conferences. Our teachers have been excellent. I find that my children are excited about learning and have enjoyed their time there. I am sure there are things that could be improved as there always are, but overall I think it is a solid elementary school. I am happy to have my children attend there.

Posted December 16, 2007

I have been very disappointed with the school. We transitioned from another school, with all of the hope that this was going to be a great year, and I have been nothing but unhappy. Starting from the very top , the adminstrator is the worst I have ever encountered. She has absolutely no leadership skills, her staff is divided and unhappy . She is very wishy washy and runs a school that is unsafe for the children. If the school board had any idea what went on during recess, how adults can come and go off the play ground without a question, and any child could be abducted without even a notice. This school is just a disasterwaiting to happen. Things can be brought into school without parents even being informed, and the principal just blames other children for spreading unfounded rumors. I have run out of words.

Posted August 3, 2007

Most of the teachers are excellent. The ones that do not care anymore, and the numerous long time substitutes instead of regular teachers are disappointing. The principal (Ann Kalec) is ineffective when it comes to enforcing rules. She is dismissive. She is by far the worst principal that I've had the displeasure to meet. Previous principals at Coolidge have been great.

Posted May 3, 2007

With the transition this year it has been difficult for alot of parents to acceept a new school. However, things are going well and the kids seem to have adjusted just fine. Keep up the great work!

Posted April 16, 2007

I have 3 children in Coolidge and eventually will have a 4th in the school. We love the school. The teachers, administrators everyone has one thing in mind...kids! The love and support we have gotten has been incredible. Hat off to Janie Briskey...she rocks! Many thanks to all! Jennifer Roode

Posted September 13, 2006

This is my son's 2nd year at Coolidge and I am pleased to say I couldn't be happier. The staff is wonderful and that comes from not just me, but the many other parents I have spoke with. His 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. Vince, really helped him adjust both academically and to the new school. The 2006 - 2007 school year has already shown me it will be another terrific year. The year started off with a 1st day Holiday Celebration which the Principle Mrs. Kalec decided to have and gets an A+ from me. My son's 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Zimmer is 'AWESOME' according to my son. Any parent with children attending Coolidge can relax knowing they are attending a TERRIFIC school.

Posted February 28, 2006

I think that this school is not a good school. Repeating not a good school. No staff is doing anything here about bullying and teasing. And I feel that this is not a good environment about my child. I do not recommend this as a good school!

Posted July 12, 2005

My son attended the 'Autistically Impaired' program at Coolidge. It has been a very enriching experience and the special education teachers are the best. I was very impressed that the Principal of the school not only knew my son by name, but took the time to get my son to acknowledge him. This is not always easy with an Autistic child. There are no words to describe the gratitude I feel not only to the teachers, para pros, and staff, but the program administrator as well. They are the best of the best and I challenge any one to find a more caring, dedicated, and gifted staff anywhere! It is a hard thing for us as a family to move on as we have to because of my son's age. I doubt we will ever find a finer group of people. My son has made continual improvement.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

104 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

92 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

88 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 6% 18%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Ann Kalec
Fax number
  • (734) 744-2707

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education