Livonia, MI

Coolidge Elementary School 3

Posted August 15, 2014
My son had a nice experience at Coolidge that went downhill every year, with the worst being in 4th grade. The teachers started to not care about the children or parents and the principal did nothing to change anything. The teacher would not use email or website to help us know due dates. Instead, my 9 year old was expected to be fully equipped to recall everything. He did develop this ability to be more organized by May and in the meantime, decided he hates school. He was excelling at reading and math until 4th grade - now he has fallen back. He's lost and he is discouraged. I became discouraged when I picked him up at 3:30pm to find he and his classmates were packed up and waiting for the 3:58p.m. dismissal and the teachers were not in their rooms but yelling "quiet!!" Down the halls. Livonia Public Schools failed my son and we're moving onward to private education.

Posted November 22, 2011
Both of my children attend coolidge. I love this school, the teachers are fantastic and very helpful! The pta is great, the only thing I did not like is Mrs. Kalec the principal. She is very unfriendly and dismissive. Other than that we love the school, and my kids have really enjoyed it!

Posted May 16, 2011
Walking through the halls at Coolidge I have noticed a significant increase in the positive behavior of students. Our school participates Positive Behavior Support program and implements it quite well. All students seem to be aware of and adhere to the the schools Be Respectful, Be Responsible and Be Safe motto. There is affirmation for those students who always seem to behave well. Consequences for those who don't. For the kids who make the occasional bad choice, but are generally well behaved there is a specific consequence, but the program still acknowledges the good choices they make. They are able to learn from the poor choice and move on to better ones. The staff all seem to be on the same page which is great for consistency with the kids! WAY TO GO COUGARS! Drawback, PTA seems very weak past couple of years. Seems as if volunteers are lacking.

Posted September 29, 2010
Anyone who walks through the halls of Coolidge Elementary will see extraordinary students and staff. Our teachers do a tremendous job dealing with all behavior issues; which by the way you will find in every school. The principal is terrific; she works hard everyday to make LPS better. We have parents that participate everyday many of which work outside the home. You are not going to find a school that gives you a better or more well rounded education than Coolidge. Coolidge Elementary is a very special place and you would be lucky to have your child attend school there. You'll find someone to write a bad review or have a bad experience everywhere you go. Don't let a few people discourage you from an experience that you will not get anywhere else. Talk to the teachers, principal and other parents and you'll quickly be a believer as well.

Posted September 23, 2010
Great teachers and staff make Coolidge a welcoming nurturing place for my girls!

Posted May 27, 2009

Posted April 01, 2009
To the parent who commented on 3/4 regarding curriculum. This is chosen by LPS and not a choice of the principal. Any Livonia Elementary school will have this same curriculum. Since you have removed your daughter, you may not be aware of the bullying rubric that was put in place just this school year. It seems to be working quite well. There are specific consequences for each infraction and it is enforced. I agree that there are a few hard to manage students at the school, but that is not the fault of the school, but the fault of their parents. Those kids could be anywhere at any time.

Coolidge Elementary School 1

Posted March 04, 2009
It makes me sad to agree with the 1 star reviews. I see the GreatSchools has changed it's rating of 8 to a 6 and I know why. The pricipal is bad - curriculum (Everyday Math??) poor - safety is an issue - bullying and discipline huge issues. Things are getting worse and not better. It is time someone at the Livonia Dept. of Ed wakes up and does something. This school has ruined the elementary experience I had wanted for my daughter, who was teased and suffered from the lack of classroom structure (walk down the hall during the day - it is anything but quiet in these rooms. It is simply chaotic/ADHD) So I have removed her and have tried other schools and am now looking at Catholic School even though we are not Catholic. This is our kids we are talking about - FIX IT!

Coolidge Elementary School 1

Posted December 16, 2008
Teachers are ok; principal not parent-friendly; we are thinking of pulling our children out to another LPS school.

Posted January 28, 2008
I agree with the parents who believe this to be a great school. The majority of staff genuinely care about the students and we're not just talking teachers. Everyone knows Mrs. Brisky is the go-to person for a little TLC. We have a custodian who runs an Art Club for the kids - on his own time. The drawback is the principalal, Ann Kalec. She seems more concerned about furthering her career than the children in this school. She is dismissive.

Coolidge Elementary School
30500 Curtis Road, Livonia, MI  48152
Last modified Coolidge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Coolidge Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top