School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am a former teacher from Garfield, and can only say that it is a wonderfully, rich place to teach. Garfield truly is the best kept secret of Livonia Public Schools. It has a very diverse population and strives to meet the needs of ALL learners. Granted, struggling learners require a lot of academic and social/emotional support, however our teachers also work very hard to make sure the average and above average learners are being challenged. The curriculum is certainly the exact same curriculum taught in the whole district, with additional, supplemental programming meant to help struggling learners get to grade level. We have a very collaborative staff, and our doors are open to all families and visitors. We look at each student as an individual, and strive to do our best each day.
September 21, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to:
SCHOOL LEADER
The teachers and extra staff at Garfield work hard, analyze, problem solve, and think outside the box on a daily basis. Thanks for your dedication to our school, families, and most especially our students.

Teacher effectiveness:
SCHOOL LEADER
The Garfield staff is highly qualified, and participates in regular professional development. Our staff is collaborative and flexible, and learn from each other, as well.

Amount of homework:
SCHOOL LEADER
LPS uses the Everyday Math program, which offers daily homework. Each student at Garfield has an orange Home/School folder, which goes home each day, and returns to school in the backpack each morning. Extra homework will be in the orange folder, and also outlined in the daily planner, starting in the second grade.

Develops grit:
SCHOOL LEADER
Students learn to build stamina, for example, during Read to Self time each day. Even starting in kindergarten, students are developing the skills to take the time to enjoy reading and gain meaning while reading to themselves.

Develops respect:
SCHOOL LEADER
Morning meeting is a community building time that occurs in each classroom. This is a time when students can be heard, but also learn how to listen and show respect to one another.

Develops empathy:
SCHOOL LEADER
We want our students to "Seek to understand, then to be understood." This is just one of the 7 Habits we reinforce at school.

Develops honesty:
SCHOOL LEADER
Currently, our building is promoting the 7 Habits by integrating The Leader in Me concepts into everyday. Our theme this year is, "It's up to me," and we are fostering the idea that our actions and decisions are our own. We want our students to take responsibility for their own actions.

Message to families

Garfield Elementary School 4

Posted September 16, 2015
Overall my child seems to enjoy the staff and other children. I tend to agree that the recess environment isn't the safest or best managed. The monitors don't do a great job. It is a concern. My child is now entering the second grade and is very intelligent. My child scores high in reading and is successful in math and other areas. I think its important to focus on the students who aren't doing as well as long as its not at my child's expense. I continue to monitor the situation and if I feel my child is neglected I'd remove my child from the school. This may be the last year at Garfield if they don't receive a higher score this year though because they have been talking about improvements in the score for two years. I know their are plenty of under-advantaged kids that do attend but a families income shouldn't effect the child's learning capabilities. We work with our child and others should do the same. Parents have to teach its not the sole responsibility of the schools.

Garfield Elementary School 1

Posted March 21, 2015
This school is horrible when it comes to safety and taking care of reports from parents who student maybe getting bullied. I have reported about my two sons on many occasions to no avail. Nothimg has changed or happen. My sons cry to not go to school that's how bad the playground situation is. I am very anger and will be pulling my boys out of this school, but I want to let other parents know be aware. I don't care if they were teaching the best knowledge you can find in Amercia, if the school is unsafe it's worthless. My sons have came home with knots on their head from being kicked in the face. Even while I'm writing this I am in rage. Parents keep your children far away from this school.

Garfield Elementary School
10218 Arthur Street, Livonia, MI  48150
Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.