School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am a former teacher from Garfield, and can only say that it is a wonderfully, rich place to teach. Garfield truly is the best kept secret of Livonia Public Schools. It has a very diverse population and strives to meet the needs of ALL learners. Granted, struggling learners require a lot of academic and social/emotional support, however our teachers also work very hard to make sure the average and above average learners are being challenged. The curriculum is certainly the exact same curriculum taught in the whole district, with additional, supplemental programming meant to help struggling learners get to grade level. We have a very collaborative staff, and our doors are open to all families and visitors. We look at each student as an individual, and strive to do our best each day.
September 21, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness:
SCHOOL LEADER
The Garfield staff is highly qualified, and participates in regular professional development. Our staff is collaborative and flexible, and learn from each other, as well.

Amount of homework:
SCHOOL LEADER
LPS uses the Everyday Math program, which offers daily homework. Each student at Garfield has an orange Home/School folder, which goes home each day, and returns to school in the backpack each morning. Extra homework will be in the orange folder, and also outlined in the daily planner, starting in the second grade.

Develops character:
SCHOOL LEADER
Currently, our building is promoting the 7 Habits by integrating The Leader in Me concepts into everyday. Our theme this year is, "It's up to me," and we are fostering the idea that our actions and decisions are our own. We want our students to take responsibility for their own actions.

Message to families
Posted September 21, 2015

Overall my child seems to enjoy the staff and other children. I tend to agree that the recess environment isn't the safest or best managed. The monitors don't do a great job. It is a concern. My child is now entering the second grade and is very intelligent. My child scores high in reading and is successful in math and other areas. I think its important to focus on the students who aren't doing as well as long as its not at my child's expense. I continue to monitor the situation and if I feel my child is neglected I'd remove my child from the school. This may be the last year at Garfield if they don't receive a higher score this year though because they have been talking about improvements in the score for two years. I know their are plenty of under-advantaged kids that do attend but a families income shouldn't effect the child's learning capabilities. We work with our child and others should do the same. Parents have to teach its not the sole responsibility of the schools.

This school is horrible when it comes to safety and taking care of reports from parents who student maybe getting bullied. I have reported about my two sons on many occasions to no avail. Nothimg has changed or happen. My sons cry to not go to school that's how bad the playground situation is. I am very anger and will be pulling my boys out of this school, but I want to let other parents know be aware. I don't care if they were teaching the best knowledge you can find in Amercia, if the school is unsafe it's worthless. My sons have came home with knots on their head from being kicked in the face. Even while I'm writing this I am in rage. Parents keep your children far away from this school.

I am very happy with the education my son has received at Garfield. His teachers have all been great and Mr. Green is very helpful and responsive, and really seems to care about the kids.

I think Garfield is a great school. My children love their teachers and they have an excellent learning environment. The principle, Mr. Green, is great. I usually get a call once a week letting me know what will be happening at the school. It is a small, nurturing environment and I would recommend this school to anyone.

As a graduate of LPS my husband and I were so disappointed with our experience at Garfield. The curriculum is MEAP driven, the staff are not held accountable for communicating with families and meeting Michigan bench marks. The overall focus is providing remedial support to the children who need it. If your child is performing at grade level, expect that they will not receive the same support as those who are not. The curriculum at Garfield is not the same curriculum as other schools in the district because so many students are performing below grade level. MEAP scores are not accurate. They spend the first three months of school teaching towards the MEAP to make the school look better. Science, Social Studies, and cursive handwriting are not taught. Not to mention that the playground is unsafe, poorly supervised. We are much happier at a nearby private school. Garfield is a HUGE disappointment!

Garfield has some of the best staff in the district. The staff needs more support from the principal, as does the major population of children and the parents. Our experience started out well and went downhill. The staff has many stopgaps in place to help the children that need remedial help. Good job teachers!

Last modified Garfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.