Riley Upper Elementary School 2

Posted June 17, 2014
I was just sitting down to write a letter to the principle of Riley when I saw this link come up with reviews of the school. I was intrigued by recent reviews and was not surprised to see the terrible things said from just this closing school year! My child was in 5th grade and I feel as though this was a waste of a year for her, we are even considering tutoring through the summer and private school next year to both catch up and not fall even further behind before heading into middle school. Our teacher was awful at communicating with us, right down to not replying to emails and not giving response in the planner she tells us to write her in. The last day of school 3 notebooks for supplemental work for Math, Science and English came home 3/4 of the way empty. I was furious and thought my daughter hadn't been keeping up only to learn from other kids and parents that they were forgotten about after the first few weeks and science had a few sections covered then nothing! Assignments were often not graded, papers towards the end of the year got a "Good Job" with no grade, feedback or rubric....it was a joke. What a shame when Livonia is known for its excellent public school system!

Posted June 12, 2014
This school is a nightmare!!!! Very snobbish office staff, a principal you will never get a call back from unless you mention calling the superintendent. Teachers can careless about the students, social worker tries but is stuck in a time warp. Bullying is a big problem and is swept under the rug and when your child does tell a staff member nothing is done. I have never dealt with such immaturity and a gross lack of professionalism ever. I would almost bet that any Detroit Public School operates on a better level than this god awful building.

Posted June 19, 2013
All of the rumors I heard are true. I contacted the principal twice with no response and found the teacher difficult to work with. Fighting was acceptable and teaching methods from the 90's were general practice. My overall experience was not pleasant!!! Coming from a very good elementary school I was hoping for great things from Riley. I was very disappointed! Livonia Public Schools has a big problem at Riley and need to address safety and academic concerns!
2 people found this helpful

Riley Upper Elementary School 4

Posted June 11, 2013
I think the experience you get from this school depends on who you deal with. The office can't take notice of everyone, from their responses. As a parent that was only visible on occasions I never felt that welcomed. We had two different teachers when my child was there. One was fantastic and brought lots of new ideas, the other was past her prime and my child couldn't relate. Your best bet is to work with the teachers directly since your stay at Riley is short. The kids learn a lot but it's not the warm and fuzzy environment that lower elementary was.

Posted May 31, 2012
Very disappointed with Riley. My daughter is in their learning center program and she has never hated school the way she does now. My husband and I always worked with staff since she was in pre-school and accept that she does have faults and need a firm hand to handle, but we have always work through tough times as long as the teachers guide her in the right direction. Well its been a full year and only two weeks left, and she has been coming up crying every other day because of kids harassing her. She doesn't trust any of the teachers when she has problems because she feels they don't do anything anyway. She has been disciplined more than once (by the way their zero tolerance is a bit severe) and yet stress the zero tolerance, but what about the staff? Is there zero tolerance when another child harass or misbehave and a student is asking for help and instead of handling it, they tell her to ignore it.. no wonder my daughter lashes out! Ridiculous!

Riley Upper Elementary School 5

Posted November 16, 2011
I am currently at Riley , this is my second year. From the day i arrived there were no problems or anything and i in a wheelchair too. But anyways , it has been a great experience learning and fun. The teachers are just so amazing! The kids are nice. The staff as i said are great! They encourage me to do the best i can. My first year was great! So how dare you say these things about my school! And when me and my parent walk into the office we are ALWAYS greeted with respect even when i walk in there to run an errand for the teacher they are happy to help! So how dare you say that the staff is bad! Maybe it isn't the staff!

Posted April 01, 2011
What a joke this school is. I had a daughter go through this school when it first opened and was very disappointed. I reserved judgment until my next child was ready to attend since the school was newer, I figured it was only fair to give it time. While it has an active PTA your ideas are ignored by the board. The staff is cliqueish. Riley is the only Upper Elementary in Livonia that does not attend 6th grade camp because the staff "doesn't want to." My daughter has told me that when she is at school the staff makes her feel like "she is bothering them just by being there." How sad that the students don't feel welcome in THEIR OWN SCHOOL. As a parent arriving in the office...IF you are acknowledged by a staff member most requests are met with a not so subtle big sigh and eye roll. My kids went to Coolidge, Riley and Holmes. LOVED COOLIDGE, can't stand Riley, Holmes is so far so good. Too bad I can't give a negative number to this school.

Riley Upper Elementary School 5

Posted June 09, 2010
My son had a great learning experience at Riley. He loved the school and loved his teachers. His teachers were very approachable and personable. Riley offers a variety of activities. The playground has ample room and a great play structure. I am really impressed. My older children had attended private schools and I was very skeptical of Livonia's public schools . I have been very pleased so far. My son has attended Coolidge and Riley and will be off to Holmes next year.

Posted June 08, 2010
My daughter attends this school. She is in the My daughter is in sixth grade she strongly dislikes her teachers she says that they don't like or do their jobs they have no passion either. Also the staff has too high of expectations.

Posted March 27, 2010

Riley Upper Elementary School
15555 Henry Ruff Street, Livonia, MI  48154
Last modified Riley Upper Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 5-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Riley Upper Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top