Livonia, MI
Before care: Yes

Posted July 24, 2014
This school used to excel, but in the last few years with the current prinicpal things have gone downhill. The principal has no idea what goes on in the school and she is never seen by the students. Some students don't even recognize her when they do see her. There is very little discipline in the school and the few times there is everyone gets punished instead of just the offenders. As a parent, when I try to get a hold of the principal to resolve issues she either ignores my requests or lies to my face about what is going on. The education had gone down considerably, as the teachers get no support from the principal and do not have control of their classes because they are not allowed to discipline. My child, who is an honor roll student, was recently tested, and scored at or below average in most subjects. Way below where you would expect to see an honor roll student score. The school is definitely not worth the cost of tuition!

Posted June 10, 2014
I'd like to argue with the last review. Although the teachers don't receive a lot of support, they still do their job as best they can. Past years many of St Genevieve eighth graders have received full scholarships for their outstanding high school placement test scores. Two eighth grade students received merit scholarships this past year. The education is great. The only thing that needs to change is the administration.

St. Genevieve Elementary School 3

Posted June 10, 2014
St Gens is a good school. I will say the school needs updating and they do not have a gym.

Posted June 09, 2014
I would not recommend this school. The teachers do their best, but it is very difficult because they do not receive the support they need to do their jobs. I would rate the educational environment as very poor.

Posted May 01, 2014
I have a first and third grader in this school and have been very happy. The education has been excellent, my kids have made awesome friends, and I've made great friends with the parents as well! I never intended to enroll my kids in private school, but fell in love when I enrolled my oldest in the preschool program here. I love the small class sizes. My kids sometimes struggle and I know they are getting the extra attention they need. Lots of parents and staff members take time out of their own days to volunteer and start clubs like Lego, Drama and Art Club. We even had a teacher be one of the chairs for our Family Fun Night! As for the gossip in the parking lot, well I guess I'm one of them. The "gossip" yesterday was me and other parents planning last minute details for the fun run and teacher appreciation week. Last week it was about what time soccer practice is (many of our boys play together). A few months ago it was about the pasta dinner we were hosting. If you take the time to get to know the parents and staff here, I don't think you'll be disappointed. We are a very welcoming group who want the best for our kids and nothing more! Please check us out!

Posted April 30, 2014
We've belonged to St. Genevieve school for a number of years and we are extremely happy with our children's education. The teachers and staff are great and the parents of the other children are too. I'm not sure why there's all the negative comments below but most of them are not true. I completely agree with all of the positive comments on here. It is a great place to send your children and they will receive a lot of individualized attention. If you have any questions about the school or would like a tour, give them a call and they would be happy to help you out and you can decide for yourself.

Posted April 30, 2014
I agree with some of the reviews of the school. It has changed, not for the better. There was a huge turnover last year- 8 staff members left. They also lost a large amount of students. Not a good sign.

Posted April 30, 2014
Many reviews below mention that St. Genevieve has a family feel and community spirit. I won't minimize that - it's true. Where this school fails is academics. The MEAP/IOWA scores are dismal. More specifically, my child was said to be behind in his class according to his teacher but when asked, the teacher had no specific plan to close the gap from his progress to the expected level. The administration/staff reponse is that it's the student's fault. With a school with low enrollment, I expect nearly 1:1 tutoring and high achievement. This is simply not the case and they take no ownership of this shortcoming. Lunch help is sorely lacking always. As a working parent, attending special events is hard due to last minute notice, i.e., 7 business days notice of an entire school field trip that must have been planned well in advance. Features mentioned at the Open House last year have not panned out in reality, i.e. kindergartners paired with 8th graders. We came here to find a home for the next several years and we will not be back next year. I can get low/better scores at the free neighborhood public school and use tuition funds for private faith formation and sports team activities.

Posted April 30, 2014
Do not send your children here! Where do I start - at school pick-up time, cars regularly pull in front of the line, then back up to be the new front car. Is this kindness? Gossiping moms block the sidewalk so kids have to walk into the parking lot with moving vehicles to get around them. Is this safety? The lunch help tell my child to get help from other kids instead of reporing a problem to them. Is this helpfulness? There is a Facebook page for parents but it's a private group; you need to first know it exists and then find a way to get accepted into it. Is this warm and welcoming? If you post something honestly but is perceived as criticism, your post will be deleted. This is just not a place of integrity and responsibility. Add to that - Academics are poor. Computer class happens irregularly. Library visits happen once a month. Clubs, groups and sports previously mentioned are shoestrung along, not taught by experts or certified teachers and are combined with other schools because they are so small. One parent recently said at a parent meeting "they won't win but at least they can compete". Such confidence in our students! Think twice before writing a check to this school!

Posted April 30, 2014
Our 2 children have both attended St. Genevieve School since pre-school. I would strongly recommend this school. They both love school & have been excelling academically & personally. I love the small class sizes, outstanding & caring teachers and staff, and extracurricular activities offered. Some of the clubs that they have enjoyed are lego & art club, girl & boy scouts, and drama club. The kids also having a strong faith base really is worth every dollar of tuition!!

St. Genevieve Elementary School
28933 Jamison St, Livonia, MI  48154
Last modified St. Genevieve Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Genevieve Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top