No rating

American Montessori Academy

Charter | K-2 | 274 students

We are best known for Montessori Education.

Posted August 18, 2014

My son has not even began his school year and already these women here have proved to be nurturing and helpful to a child who was scared and traumatized by a previous school. Their patience was greater than mine and I am looking forward to the year.

Posted April 18, 2014

AMA is a great school of choice. This is our third year and we have been very satisfied. The staff is great and seem to know most if not all of their students. The 2nd grade teachers do not have assistants in their classrooms, which is truly a downfall. This is something that needs to be addressed because the teachers need help in preparing the students to be ready for the common core test in 3rd grade. The assistants never should have been taken out of the 2nd grade classrooms. This is my only complaint, however it is a major concern.

Posted October 22, 2012

Excellent staff that truly loves each and every child. They go out of their way to make the students and parents feel special.

Posted September 24, 2012

AMA has caring, compassionate staff. Every student is important. Staff goes above and beyond to make students and parents comfortable and know that the children are in a safe, loving environment. With the Montessori philosophy and Montessori materials in each classroom, the students thrive in a caring, educational environment. AMA is truly a great school of choice.

Posted September 24, 2012

AMA was a great experience for my daughter who attended for 3 years and is doing very well in high school. She is able to apply the strategies she learned at AMA through her teachers and support staff to be an independent learner despite her reading disabilty. I have a kindergardener that statred this year and is adjusting very well. I attribute my childrens successes to the loving and caring staff at AMA.

Posted September 24, 2012

AMA is wonderful school of choice. The Montessori philosophy proves to provide students with the tools they need to be successful independently in their academic career; allowing them to learn at their own pace. The staff is friendly and very knowledgeable. Each teacher genuinely cares about the students and gives them opportunities to strive for excellence! The principal is hard working and very caring of both the staff and students at AMA. A great place to teach and to learn!

Posted September 23, 2012

AMA is a great school. The staff is wonderful and so are the children. My daughter attended AMA for 3 years and has a very good foundation for her learning. Her teacher was the best. She cared about my daughter and supported her learning. The school as a whole is very organized and has many policies and procedures in place. I felt comfortable dropping her off each day because I knew she would be in a safe environment where she could learn and grow.

Posted February 7, 2012

My husband and I are so happy with this school. Our daughter loves her teacher as well as many other people on staff, and she is so happy to go to school every day. It is also a relief to know that our daughter is at a very safe and caring school. And we are amazed at all that she is learning everyday.

Posted January 27, 2012

This school offers a wonderful, peace-based culture and sense of community like I have never seen before. The curriculum is designed to be customized to each child, and the kids learn ownership and responsibility for their educational goals. This school has been a life-saver for my sons, and the growth and transformation they have achieved thanks to the dedication of the teachers and the support of the administration will make me forever a fan.

Posted November 30, 2011

The teachers are wonderful at the school. They are proactive, engaging and helpful for the students. The administration at the Lower Elementary is awful. I thought about pulling my child from the Lower Academy because all the mayhem the administration brings. They are passive aggressive and not very welcoming. I decided to keep my child in the school, because they only had one more year to they graduated to the Upper Academy. The Upper Academy is wonderful!

Posted October 11, 2011

My daughters are starting their third year at AMA. This is a wonderful school. I love the Montessori philosophy and independent learning. It's amazing to see the work they bring home and they love to read! The school is very safety and community conscious, which I appreciate as a parent. The teachers that my daughters have had have been wonderful--very caring and enthusiastic. The principal is very devoted to having the best school for the children and staff and it shows! My daughters love to go to school!

Posted January 21, 2011

Great school to work for. Knowledgeable administrator. Caring and nurturing environment for both students and staff. Very active teacher support team to offier guidance and strategies for at-risk students.

Posted February 22, 2010

I am overall very pleased with this school. My daughters have been members for over 3 yrs now and they are like family to us. They could use more music/art/sports activities...but the overall learning experience they get is phenomenal. I feel that my girls get the attention they need and deserve. The safety at AMA is great! I had a cousin going to Snow Elem. in Dearborn and I heard great things about them, I picked her up from school one day and she was standing outside unattended and all the kids were walking out by themselves or waiting for parents...my cousin in 8! That made me very nervous, especially knowing what AMA does for the safety of our children. I ended up enrolling her at AMA upper, not only because of the safety, because I knew she would get the education she needed. She is excelling wonderfully!

Posted January 5, 2010

My daughter is in kindergarten at AMA and I am so pleased that we chose this school for her. Her teacher, Mrs. Deborah, is wonderful. She comes home everyday singing songs she learned, showing me what she did, and telling me how much she loves her teacher/friends. As an elementary public school teacher I am really pleased with many, many aspects of the school and look forward to getting to know many of the teachers! As a parent I agree with the other comments that I would like to see art and music, but as a teacher I understand that it's so hard to find the funding for those. In Mrs. Deborah's room they paint and create other art projects, which is wonderful. I hope that continues in the upper grades.

Posted October 12, 2009

My son attends ama he's in the 4th grade and this is the first time ever he wants to go to school he loves his teacher and in this short time i see a change an dedication, i want to thank ama for being a great school.....

Posted January 31, 2009

I homeschooled my oldest and then AMA opened. It was an answer to my prayers. I have only had good experiences here. I've read the negative reviews and as another parent said, AMA is not for everyone. I have found the staff to be nurturing and caring. There is a lot of parental involvement and although there may not be the same activities as in a regular public school (after-school sports, art and music) they try very hard to offer many low or no cost activities for the families of AMA. As far as homework goes, I have many friends who have children attending public schools. It takes them hours to finish their homework everyday, and this is all ages. I have never seen them tolerate bullying. Public schools tend to focus on the average child, if your child is above or below, they may not do well.

Posted December 3, 2008

I just posted a review but I needed to add that this school is superior in its attention to safety of the students! After the horrible experiences with the Livonia Schools buses and the the principal of her elementary school - this was night and day difference! Thank you so much AMA for appreciating the importance of safety.

Posted May 19, 2008

My daughter is completing her 2nd year at AMA and has done Very Well! She is reading almost 2 grades ahead and doing advanced spelling. I love the idependent learning and the multi-grade classrooms because she can learn at her own level without feeling she is above or below anyone else. She loves her school and LOVES her teachers. Keep up the good work AMA!

Posted January 24, 2008

I have been with AMA since day 1, and I have been very involved. I currently serve as the parent group president. I tell folks, AMA is not for every child - but it is definitely an amazing fit for my kids (I have 2 boys there). I have been amazed at the support, the willingness of the teachers to work with me, and the style of the principal is awesome. I agree, it's a better fit for kids who are self-motivated learners. My son's Kindergarten (public school) teacher complained of his wiggles, his distraction, and his poor work habits. In the AMA environment, he is reading 2 grades above his level, embracing math, and demostrating classroom leadership. It's not a perfect school - no school is - but I truly love the homey, family feel (kids can wear slippers all day). My kids are proud to call it their school.

Posted January 14, 2008

AMA is a great charter school that offers a full Montessori program to all residents of Michigan. The teachers are state certified and either have their Montessori certification or are working on their internship. What a great team to work with . The office staff is especially frinedly and helpful. There is an assistant with each teacher who offers even more one on one support for the students at AMA. The shool offers a full day kindergarten to meet the needs of working parents. We also have before and after school care. AMA also has a very active parent group: AMFO. What a wonderful alternative to the public schools. Thanks AMA.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 29% 18%

Male 248%N/A52%
Source: 1 MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013
Source: 2 NCES, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Italian
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • School Choice Leadership Award (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Pennies for Pasta (2011)

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:40 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Mrs. Renee Arnot
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (734) 525-8952

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • None
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Italian
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Gleanors Foodbank

• Basketball
  • Hand ball floor hockey
  • Soccer

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Girls on the run
  • Link Crew
  • Student newspaper

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join AMFO
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom