My kids have been Brookfield Livonia students since they were infants. The school no longer offers an infant program but starts are the toddler age group (Subject to change depending on when you read this).
I only have good things to say about the school. When i read a negative review, I have to remind myself that this could just be a lemon. The synergy between the parents and the school may not have worked. Perhaps the kid didnt fit in, this happens all the time. This happened to us when we moved my elementary kid to a different school.
We moved away for a year for logistical issues, we experienced other Montessori and public schools and came right back to Brookfield for both our children.
There has been a teacher change here and that is after 5-6 years from inception and that is fairly understandable turnover.
- Location - Just off the freeway, helps avoid all surface street traffic
- Excellent after school enrichment programs. Yes they cost $$ but you reap what you sow
- Child care (non academic) is fantastic. They take the safety of the child so seriously, roll calls, excellent Child to Teacher ratio, fun art and craft activities, story times etc.
- Recess monitoring: kids are given free space to play however they are monitored and disciplined as necessary at that time too. I have seen kids go rogue at recess in other schools (Read bullying) but kids have ample freedom play
- After school club offers activities, snacks, home workclub etc
- Last but not least: Academically my child is far more advanced. The teacher ensures that the kid has grasped the concept before moving on. Teacher does not expect the kid to jump onboard or be left behind. if a homework is challenging to the kids, they ask that we let the teacher know so the teacher and "re-teach" the concept. I am amazed at the level of education in language and arts especially. My kids comprehension skills are quiet impressive for his age, his fluency of reading and his general knowledge has increased immensely. Parents - please keep in mind each kid has a different grasping level. But this school caters to each level.
Overall, its costing an arm and a leg but cheaper than other famous private schools. The level of education, discipline, personality growth, fun activities drives our decision to continue our kids in this school.
This campus has had many struggles since it's inception almost 5 years ago - including high staff turnover and a new Principal. Neither of which contribute to the success of the children. I agree with previous review about the lack of emotional development. True Montessori focuses on 3 principles - Respect for Self, Respect for Others, Respect for Environment. None of which is demonstrated at this campus, not a true Montessori culture. There are many other Montessori schools who are heavily ingrained in these principle - and cost much less. The teachers we have encountered are wonderful, but limited. Parental involvement is at an all-time low.
This is a great school. Our child have made so much improvements over the years. The teachers are very dedicated in teaching not just academics but also manners and life skills. The parent involvement is also very good. There is always a good turn out for each special event.
I am a new principal at Brookfield Livonia this school year (9/2012-6/2013). I have a wonderful, dedicated staff and our enrollment is steadily growing. We would love to welcome you and your child to our Brookfield Family! Please call to schedule a visit and to learn more about our programs, or visit our website first for more information at www.brookfieldacademy.net.
Looking for a fresh start from public schools this Fall? This is the place to come to. You will be amazed at the care and attention your kids will get and the progress is awesome. Can't wait for Another great year.
Our son is in his third year at Brookfield. Its amazing to see the growth and the changes he has made. If you live in Northville area, it is an easy commute. We were not sure at first because of the Livonia address, but the school is very close to 275. The after school program is also very very good. Our son can't wait to get up each day and he loves his teachers and friends. We are 100% happy.
Sent my child to a public school for one year and so happy to have found Brookfield this year. What a difference the class size, the individual attention, all the extras and outstanding team of educators can make. Best investment we could make.