No rating

Immanuel Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 539 students

Living in Macomb

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $169,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $920.

Posted August 20, 2014

I am so glad I didn't read the reviews below before I entered my daughter into 1st grade at Immanuel Lutheran. We have spent the last year enjoying her education, the friends made, and watching her grow into a responsible, respectful young lady. She is extremely excited about entering 2nd grade and I couldn't be happier with our experience. My daughter attended a Montessori school and a public school prior to our landing at Immanuel. I can tell you that Immanuel not only opened their arms, they embraced us. My daughter is flourishing. As far as different types of parents and families being "accepted"...I'm a single mom of an adopted daughter. They couldn't be more open and "accepting". No cliques, no judgement. Just warm, welcoming family atmosphere with great academics and Christ at the center. I love that every teacher knows my daughter by name and they are truly interested in her well being. If I could give 6 stars I would.

Posted May 5, 2014

Small over crowded classrooms. Very clicky parents. Outdated. Poor air quality. No thank you! Money and tuition takes precedence. Two thumbs down

Posted February 23, 2014

No ax to grind here...we really wanted this school to be the one. A small school with a Christ centered education was exactly what we wanted, and in the younger grades, this school was amazing. Saying that "cliques" are a tired criticism of private schools is correct, but it's the unfortunate truth. If you, as a parent, are not a "very active and involved parent" because... I don't know...maybe you are working to pay tuition? Or, you don't feel it's healthy for your child for you to micromanage their social lives?....you, and your child will definitely not enjoy the same experience as children of "more involved" parents. Being around like minded families is great...unless you are getting together and judging others who aren't exactly like you. We have found less bullying, higher academic standards, and more accurate individual assessment of my kids in our public school (which surprised me, given the difference in class sizes). I wish this wasn't the case, because we definitely miss the religious education, but there is definitely a lack of consistency between the Christian priciples taught in class, and what is allowed to go on in the halls and playground.

Posted September 5, 2013

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but those who write disparaging remarks about this school obviously have an ax to grind. No school is perfect but if you want your child to be prepared for high school in a nuturing caring environment this is the place. I have three children in this school. One who has moved on to Lutheran High North, she was prepared academically, emotionally and socially for the change to high school. Every time I have had concerns the teachers, staff and Principal have been responsive, understanding and empathetic. You got out of the parent interation what you put into it. Comments about cliques are a tired stereotype of parochial/private schools. Do people have friendships? Absolutely, but I enjoy being around like-minded families. People have differences that's just human nature but on the whole this school is head and shoulders above most in the area. If you want to give you child the tools to excel in the next phase of their life this school is amazing. I am a very active involved parent. In you invest your time and talents in the school the rewards will be amazing. If you sit on the sidlelines and complain then your experience may note be as postive.

Posted August 20, 2013

If I could give Immanuel zero stars I would. They claim to have a zero tolerance policy on bullying, but that is false. They overlook bullying and safety issues. The principal's avoidance in dealing with issues is troublesome. There are a few teachers who are just plain awful. One teacher in particular in the lower grades is rude and sarcastic to the children. My child who is pretty resilient, often came home in tears and i was flabbergasted by what this teacher said and did. When you approach her about issues, she blows you off. Year after year parents complain and nothing is done. Many of the parents are cliquey and have the "my child wouldn't do that" attitude. Spending hard earned money on this school was such a waste. My child was not physically or emotionally safe at this school. If you are considering Immanuel, please do your child a favor and look elsewhere.

Posted March 15, 2013

The preschool program is excellent. They really incorporate math science reading readiness and religion which is what i wanted all in 2.5 hours. The only draw back was they have field trips where the parents take the kids and siblings are not allowed to come. If you did not take the kid on a field trip they would not have school. That was discerning for a parent with a baby at home. I also noticed the kids were taught at the same level. If you had a child who knew letters, sounds and numbers they would still have to start from the beginning. The academics were excellent.

Posted November 8, 2011

I am baffled by the people who say it's not a good value. When you consider that Immanuel is spending half as much per pupil as what the public schools spend, they are doing amazing things. I'm a graduate of this school who has also attended public schools. The teachers here are better care a lot more about us than the public school teachers did.

Posted October 1, 2011

Immanuel is an excellent school. My children started with the Praise and Play program in the Preschool and have been attending the day school for a few years. The teachers at Immanuel are just wonderful. Not only do they truly care about your child, but they go out of their way to make sure they have every opportunity to excel. My husband and I enjoy the smaller class sizes and family atmosphere that is promoted between the different grades. Personally I love the uniforms. Cost wise they are on par with other brands. Watching for sales, hitting the resale and making sure you hold on to your receipt from LE for an exchange on those slacks when the knees blow can really make your dollar stretch far. As far as price of the tuition, the tuition is more than fair for the education your child is receiving. Sending your child to Immanuel or any other private school is a commitment. Not only in money but in time. My only complaint has to do with some of the parents at the school. A child is going to excel the most when parents are involved in their education. Too many parents send their kids to Immanuel, but don't really get involved. Those are the children that seem to struggle the most.

Posted May 24, 2011

My daughter completed the 3 & 4 year old preschool program here and it was a wonderful, wonderful experience -- the teachers were caring and ranged from simply terrific (Kling) to inspired/amazing (Clor). The new PS director also seems to be strengthening what is already a strong program. Caring of the teachers and staff is tremendous. Integrating the Christian education into the basic preschool program just flows naturally together. I'm excited my son will be starting PS there this year -- and so sad we can't/won't afford to send my daughter there for K and beyond.

Posted January 11, 2011

I love working here. It is a joy to come to school every day with such wonderful students. The staff is dedicated, and here because we want to be. There are many opportunities and it has a small town feel. We are constantly working on improving ourselves and helping the students. This is a wonderful school and growing better all the time.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 22, 2010

We have nothing but great things to say about the preschool program, the faculty and the administration at Immanuel Lutheran School.

Posted January 7, 2010

Promotes cozy, small town feel. But it is clicky. Academics aren't any better than public schools in area. Uniforms are expensive, and there are too many choices. Boys will ruin all their expensive pants at recess. My son ruined 8 pairs one year. (playing some sort of tackle football/keep away at recess.) Not worth the $$ for acedemics, but it is a quaint school if you have money.

Posted October 13, 2009

If you're looking for something small, family like and very religious, this is for you. Sunday school and church attendance is on report card. My child didn't like eating in the classroom. The desks aren't wiped down before eating, so I am not sure how clean their eating space is. The academics are ok, but they are not way ahead of the public schools. (like they lead you to believe) A lot of the success or failure of the child has to do with the parents. Often, schools are blamed. There's a lot of homework. If you believe homework is important, you may like the school. I would rather my kids play outside than have busywork homework (what I thought the lower grades homework was) Very clicky. Bullying no better than the public schools. No science lab.

Posted September 12, 2009

We love this school! Classes are small +teachers are there because they WANT to be. Building is secure+clean, but older. Lot's of activities and after school programs. Grades are accessible online. All sports except football 4th/5th gr+up.All do fairly well (less students so obviously no athlete stacking). After school program needs a better, more permanent site, but the caregivers really care for the kids. No dedicated cafeteria-- seems like a waste of space since the kids love to eat in their classrooms.They get free time to play after finish eating +clean up. Upper grades eat in the gym cafeteria style. ALL grades get least one recess. Of course it promotes religion---it's a Christian school!! Uniforms are $ but LAST, are colorful+modest-easy to get dressed. Reading program is GREAT!

Posted July 10, 2009

I took my child out of this school due to an over emphasis on religion and not reading, writing and arithmetic. Religion is important. However, when you are at school, you need to be prepared for the future. The school that my child attends now is just wonderful. He is advanced in all areas and gets extra help to advance even more. Our public school is the best that one can be and the staff is fabulous. If you prefer a religious education, then Immanuel is right for your family!

Posted May 8, 2009

We love Immanuel too. There are many academics that are not offered in the public system. They are constantly looking at ways to expand their programs including sports. Your child can begin sports in the 4th grade. You walk into the school and you feel like you are in the right place. The staff are there because they want to teach and love their jobs. If your child is having a problem with a subject, they will work with you and your child. If you have children needing a challenge, they challenge the child. The classroom size is great too. I can keep going....

Posted February 24, 2009

We love Immanuel! Our daughter loves it also. The teachers are wonderful and caring. They work way beyond the call of duty. It is a safe and happy environment. The education is top rate and so are the teachers. You would be blessed to send your child here, I would never go anywhere else.

Posted February 6, 2009

This is our childs second year at the school and we are very happy. We find that what the children are studying is very advanced. Most of the teachers are caring and willing to listen. There are also a lot of sport / after school activites available to the students. There is good communication through the WebSite and the Newsletter. We are not members of the church but do not feel left out. We feel that the LatchKey Program is treated like a step child, The Church needs to be aware many parents have to work, and depend on that program. The LatchKey Teachers are great but the surroundings (room) could use some attention. Overall we are pleased with the school

Posted January 7, 2009

This is a great place if your child is behind, but there is nothing to challeange the advanced child. Concerns are listened to, but, not always addressed. Their primary objective is a Christian education. There still may be mean kids and bullying. The uniforms are a hassle. There are still too many choices and they are expnsive. There is still the clothes competion (with name brands of coats, shoes, and purses.) If you are looking for something small and very religious, this is the palce for you. There is no cafeteria, no gym teacher (the regular teachers teach gym), the younger grades eat in their classroom. there are classrooms in the basement.

Posted November 28, 2008

We removed our son from a public school in the middle of his first grade year. Immanuel accepted him with open arms and has been our home/family ever since (4 years ago). The teachers are very caring, knowledeable and professional - this is not just a job for them but their life's ministry. The principal has become a friend and is interested in the whole child - not just academics. The uniforms are wonderful because they eliminated many hassles. We are blessed to be at Immanuel!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 3% 19%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%
Multiracial 0% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. Robert Christian
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Fax number
  • (586) 286-4243

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

47120 Romeo Plank Road