Shawnee Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 923 students

Posted April 29, 2014

The school is very good from an academic standpoint, but I wish they will have more activities. There's no sense of community because we don't get to meet with other parents.

Posted January 9, 2014

Great School, Great Teachers yes the parking lot is congested but have yet to go to a school where it isn't! If the teachers are good it's a great school in my book!

Posted August 29, 2013

Teachers are great, besides that everything is bad, parking lot is terrible but even worse, people working in the office.

Posted May 26, 2011

This is a great school and I'm surprised by the poor ratings here. A lot of them seem to deal with the principal and special needs department. Well, I guess I would say that on the other side of the coin if you don't have a special needs child or don't need to deal with the principal (I'll leave that alone as to why you might be dealing with them so much??!!?) then this school is great. Teachers are awesome we have had so far and the different special events they do at the school (Art event, Fun Run, etc.) are really good. Oh and I was at the Fun Run 2 weeks ago and the principal was there so I can confirm she does show up to some things, heh-he. I also know they have addressed a lot of the safety concerns in some of the old reviews here. It's not Fort Knox by any stretch but it's getting better. And my child is really learning a lot which is the most important thing! Look at the test scores and stats.

Posted April 20, 2011

I would say there's alot of people who work there that seems like they don't like kids!!!

Posted May 13, 2010

Some excellent teachers work at this school but the weak leadership from the principal undermines their efforts. Securityis lacking, parents are allowed to walk in at anytime. The kindergarten pod should be lockedand only accessible with a passkey. Rude, unhelpfull Office staff create a cold environment. Principal rarely ventures out of her office.

Posted February 4, 2009

School safety is a main concern at this point. I have been witness to the madness of dismissal and it is a wonder a child hasn't been kidnapped or seriously injured. I would think the principal would be more open to ideas on fixing the problems instead of her 'moving along' attitude and her 'hands are tied' approach. Very sad that the safety of of children ties her hands.

Posted November 6, 2008

I have been in this school since it's inception. The teachers are great but the Principal is so impersonal and unapproachable that it puts a cloud over our school and gives it a bad reputation. She, along with other staff, shows no love for these kids. They are too busy 'running a business' instead of getting involved with the kids and parents. Sad, sad, sad. She should not be at the elementary level. We need a fun-loving, outgoing Principal. I am positive we would get more volunteers if it were not for the Principal.

Posted October 27, 2008

I completely agree with the October 24th post. Another school function and the principal is no where to be found!! I volunteer at the school and can honestly say that I can count on one hand how many times I have seen the Principal at all--and my child has been attending Shawnee since it opened. The complaints about the yelling and disrespect toward the students from the Lunch Ladies is unbelievable!! I know parents that have complained and nothing was done so they have personally gone up to talk to them and still there have been no changes!!This is sad--but I guess I should be thankful that the teachers are awesome!!

Posted July 15, 2008

I have been at Shawnee since it has opened and have 2 more years to go. I agree at the begining Shawnee had gotten off to a slow star with many things, but It has come a long way. We now have several childern in our school with special needs and they get all the help needed buy some very wonderful teachers. If you have opinions or would just like to know more come to one of our PTO meetings.

Posted June 25, 2008

Teachers are great, but as for the office staff and principal, huge dissappointment. They do not have your childs best interest in mind they only have their own. As all the other posts stated security is very poor as well. Chippewa Valley District has incredible schools but not his one.

Posted April 16, 2008

This is not the school to consider if you have a special needs child. The principal is worthless (for lack of a better word) and does NOTHING to make sure the teachers or staff follow through with plans for helping the children. We finally pulled our child out of this school after 8 meetings in the course of 6 months to get him the assistance that he needed. We recently had another meeting with the Superintendent of Chippewa Valley to make sure he knew how disappointed and frustrated we were. I would highly recommend finding another school in the district for any child. Shawnee is NOT the place for any child who needs assistance.

Posted December 22, 2007

I am very happy with this school. My daughter loves going to school, and has had great teachers. I have not had problems with the principal. The parents can be unfriendly, yes, but I feel that each person needs to take responsibility for this themselves. Also with parent involvement, I feel you can be as involved as you want to be. Safety is an issue, however.

Posted May 5, 2007

My children have been at this school since it opened. I have to agree with many of the posters, the security at this school is non existent. Also the principal is unapproachable and rarely seen. The teachers are wonderful, but the school lacks the fun that should be in an elementary school, which after being in the school building frequently I blame on the leadership (principal). Elementary school should include fun, and for the most part that is lacking at our school.

Posted October 24, 2006

My daughters attended Shawnee Elementary from its inception through the 5th grade and the experience got worse every year. There is NO help for a child with special needs and both of my children experienced this. There is only a social worker there one and a half days a week! The principal is too busy and never available. I was told on many occasions about the lack of funds and teachers in the school. Forget the security at the door.

Posted October 4, 2006

I do agree that Shawnee needs work in the security aspect and definitely in the area of our children that have special needs. But we are missing one of the important aspects of this school, the teachers are awesome! Have you seen Shawnee's reading and math scores? I have two children at Shawnee and not once have I had a poor teacher. The teachers have gone out of their way to help my children and to teach my children. As far as security, there are security issues across our nation, not just at Shawnee. This is an issue that our government may have to step in to fix across the country.

Posted May 4, 2006

I agree with the previous postings that if you have a child with special needs there are no resources. The principal is never visible and is not friendly or approachable. I would never recommend this school to anyone with the current administration.

Posted April 26, 2006

I also have a child going to this school with special needs. I have been fighting with the school for 3 years about getting extra help for my child. It seems that the principal ignores the education of a child as being important. I am very frustrated and disappointed with the education that my child is receiving there. The teachers are wonderful and really care about the children, but without the approval of the principal they are limited in helping the child any further.

Posted April 17, 2006

If you have a child with special needs, this may not be the school for you. My husband and I were told there was no extra support available to our child due to lack of funding. We have struggled for communication from our teacher in our son's progress, with little to no assistance from the principal in getting the information we need to help our son succeed. Our daughter's teacher is wonderful, and is doing a great job. The security is terrible. Anyone can walk through the front doors and through the school sight unseen. The office is around the corner from the front door. The district has rezoned for the 2006-2007 school year. Hopefully reducing the amount of students will alleviate many of the problems my husband and I have seen.

Posted November 2, 2005

I am surprised at the poor reviews for Shawnee. My daughter is in her third year there and her teachers have been wonderful! I have never had anyone be rude to me at that school and other parents are very friendly. Yes, it is a little overcrowded at the moment, but they are working on that problem.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

162 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

162 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

165 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

164 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

167 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

137 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

138 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

138 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

Multiracial 5% 2%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Sarah Simon
Fax number
  • (586) 723-6801

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education