Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Shawnee Elementary School 4

Posted February 23, 2016
We’ve experienced quite a few wonderful years at Shawnee. There are many caring and effective teachers, an active PTO which sponsors many events, and a new, engaged and friendly principal. Unfortunately, what has been a good experience is now turning sour in our last year. My otherwise happy child has come home from school rather glum on an increasing number of occasions. When asked what’s wrong, I’m told the teacher was being unkind to the students. At first, I wrote it off, assuming the teacher was just doing her job and reinforcing classroom rules. Then, I witnessed how the teacher treats her own children, whom also attend the school. She was so unnecessarily harsh, she made the youngest cry (on more than one occasion, mind you). Between my observations and the change in my child’s love for school, I have no doubt there’s a little too much negativity in that classroom. I also have a hard time with her credentials and attitude with parents. She touts multiple degrees, yet can’t use proper grammar and punctuation in her newsletters. Students can’t learn proper English from teachers that can’t use it themselves. On top of this, she has a tendency to look down her nose at parents, independent of how she is addressed or how well their student is doing in her class. I’m not sure what’s going on with this teacher, but I hope these issues have been observed by her superiors and are addressed so that future students can end their experience at Shawnee on a positive note.

Posted May 06, 2015
Disregard all of the negative reviews regarding the principal. She retired and the new principal is wonderful! Shawnee is a great school! Lots of activities, awesome teachers, and strong academics.

Shawnee Elementary School 4

Posted April 29, 2014
The school is very good from an academic standpoint, but I wish they will have more activities. There's no sense of community because we don't get to meet with other parents.

Posted January 09, 2014
Great School, Great Teachers yes the parking lot is congested but have yet to go to a school where it isn't! If the teachers are good it's a great school in my book!

Shawnee Elementary School 2

Posted August 29, 2013
Teachers are great, besides that everything is bad, parking lot is terrible but even worse, people working in the office.

Posted May 26, 2011
This is a great school and I'm surprised by the poor ratings here. A lot of them seem to deal with the principal and special needs department. Well, I guess I would say that on the other side of the coin if you don't have a special needs child or don't need to deal with the principal (I'll leave that alone as to why you might be dealing with them so much??!!?) then this school is great. Teachers are awesome we have had so far and the different special events they do at the school (Art event, Fun Run, etc.) are really good. Oh and I was at the Fun Run 2 weeks ago and the principal was there so I can confirm she does show up to some things, heh-he. I also know they have addressed a lot of the safety concerns in some of the old reviews here. It's not Fort Knox by any stretch but it's getting better. And my child is really learning a lot which is the most important thing! Look at the test scores and stats.

Shawnee Elementary School 1

Posted April 20, 2011
I would say there's alot of people who work there that seems like they don't like kids!!!

Shawnee Elementary School 1

Posted May 13, 2010
Some excellent teachers work at this school but the weak leadership from the principal undermines their efforts. Securityis lacking, parents are allowed to walk in at anytime. The kindergarten pod should be lockedand only accessible with a passkey. Rude, unhelpfull Office staff create a cold environment. Principal rarely ventures out of her office.

Shawnee Elementary School

Posted February 04, 2009
School safety is a main concern at this point. I have been witness to the madness of dismissal and it is a wonder a child hasn't been kidnapped or seriously injured. I would think the principal would be more open to ideas on fixing the problems instead of her 'moving along' attitude and her 'hands are tied' approach. Very sad that the safety of of children ties her hands.

Shawnee Elementary School 3

Posted November 06, 2008
I have been in this school since it's inception. The teachers are great but the Principal is so impersonal and unapproachable that it puts a cloud over our school and gives it a bad reputation. She, along with other staff, shows no love for these kids. They are too busy 'running a business' instead of getting involved with the kids and parents. Sad, sad, sad. She should not be at the elementary level. We need a fun-loving, outgoing Principal. I am positive we would get more volunteers if it were not for the Principal.

Shawnee Elementary School
21555 Vesper Drive, Macomb, MI  48044
Last modified Shawnee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.