Mohawk Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 512 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 4, 2014

This school has great community involvement. The principal has handled any problem we have had wonderfully and quickly.

Posted September 9, 2013

This is a review of the office staff. They are not knowledgeable and need training to stay up to date. We were told that our State issued Birth Certificate was not indeed a birth certificate. Very rude, told us to call the county to get a real birth certificate. Well, it turns out this is a real birth certificate. Sorry to the incompetent office staff who can't read.

Posted February 26, 2013

My daughter started here in the fall of 2012 and I must say it has been a wonderful experience so far! She is already reading and is so happy to go to school every morning. Her Kindergarten teacher is so dedicated and works so hard with the students. The new principal is amazing and I attribute the positive environment to his great leadership skills. The activities are endless and well I cant say enough about Mohawk!!

Posted October 28, 2012

I LOVE Mohawk! After six years at the school, my kids have experienced many of the teachers and we've enjoyed them all. My oldest son just started middle school this year and we're finding that he was definitely well-prepared by Mohawk's teachers. Also, for my middle child who struggled with reading and fine motor skills, but not enough to qualify for special education services, Mohawk provided very effective remediation instruction which has helped him "catch up" to his classmates. Very happy overall with Mohawk!!!

Posted September 18, 2008

I just moved my child to this school, and so far I am pleasantly surprised. Our third grade teacher has been wonderful. My child is very happy at Mohawk, and they have been great about challenging her academically.

Posted October 7, 2007

the quality of academic programs at Mohawk for the past 4 years are not acceptable, the teachers need to be held accountable. Extracurricular activities are above average. Parent involvement? What parent involvement, I have tried to volunteer for 4 years and only was welcomed 4 times, once a year. Teachers do not want the parents ionvloved because then everyone will know what they are not teaching our children.

Posted September 18, 2007

I'm pretty pleased with this school so far, my kids are reading and they have just started 1st grade.

Posted September 4, 2007

Oh my god! since we moved to our new house, and my kids went to Mohawk i had such a problem with this school. At one point they told me that my son has ADHD when i have him tested with 4-5 different doctor's psychiatrist, all comes back negative..I was so upset and call her back and start questioning on how they handle the kids in this school. this just proves to me that this school is not capable of teaching any children.

Posted August 13, 2007

Our child only went to kindergarten here and it was the longest year of his (and our) lives. The teacher had favorites from the very beginning. When phone calls came home she was defensive and very condescending. The principal does not have a clue what is going on in the school. This school is a disgrace. We will never be back.

Posted January 18, 2007

I left Mohawk after K-3 with my daughter. Teachers lack enthusiasm to go the extra mile. I never met the principal. My child always complained of boredom.

Posted October 24, 2006

This is my daughters first year at Mohawk(came from a different CVS). I am very impressed with the caring and thoughtful teaching staff. I am surprised by the negative comments by parents. I spend a lot of time in the school and see the dedicated staff working above and beyond what their duties are. The curriculum that my daughter is receiving exceeds state standards. My daughter who is in first grade is reading far more then any of her peers that are attending different schools (private and public). I also believe reading (or any learning) is something that has to be reinforced at home. I believe if parents invested more time with their child they would be surprised how important their involvement is.

Posted October 2, 2006

The staff at Mohowak is second to none. They are kind, caring and enthusiastic. I have several children in this school. We are very happy with the quality of education provided. The support staff is wonderful.

Posted September 21, 2006

I have to agree to most of the posted messages. This is my daughters first year at Mohawk,and two weeks in ,I am already concerned with the academic portion of her learning. Yes, she can make green frogs and purple cows out of construction paper, yes she can play in the gym, but where in all this is the learning? I can send her to a play group for those things. When I called to express my concerns I was met with indignation...and a phone call from the teacher with a blanketed reprimand for not being at the open house...some of us have to work. I am also very aggrieved with the fact that they are treating this school as a business; Entertainment books, catalogs, booth rental, the list..and the paperwork goes on and on..I fear that my daughters education is not the focus; but making money is.

Posted May 17, 2006

Absolutely concerned with the lack of education my child has received at Mohawk Elementary School. Many of the teachers are lazy and are there just to collect a paycheck. Even the teachers I used to respect have greatly disappointed me these last 2 years. If these teachers are not held accountable for the failures and/or success of their students, I should have the right to put my tax dollars into a school that cares, without having to move. There is no proud moment in admitting what elementary school my child attends.

Posted March 10, 2006

We came from a blue ribbon school of excellence in a different state, and boy can you tell the difference. The curriculum is sub-par, most of the teachers are dull and uninspiring, the office staff is miserable. My children will not be in this school next year.

Posted May 24, 2005

On our second student at this school, with one more to go. Not crazy about the music or science specials. Front desk staff not super friendly, so I feel sorry for the kids that have to go to the office. Haven't seen any new ideas in the way of curriculum or projects. Sometimes it seems as though they are doing just the basics. Live just far enough away to not get a bus, but am stuck in the traffic out on main road. Will probably homeschool my 4th grader next 2 years to keep student out of here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 6, 2005

I have to totally disagree with the other reviews given here. Mohawk Elementary is a great school! My child is in the first grade. I have found the staff to be very knowledgable about child development, as well as exceptionally caring! As with any good school, there are many teachers that go beyond the minimum. One does not have to look hard to find them among the staff at Mohawk. Supportive parents are amongst them as well. Together, the staff works as a team and provide an excellent education for the students. Additionaly, Mohawk is an excellent school outside of the classroom. Their art and gym programs are second to none. I would not send my kids to school anywhere but Mohawk. I definitely recommend this school.

Posted January 28, 2005

There are bright spots among the faculty, but not many. The same kids are the teachers' pets year after year. There is little in the way of innovation and many of the teachers often seem indifferent. The front lobby is not vibrant and the office staff is well-known for being less than welcoming. I know exciting programs exist elsewhere and elementary school can be fascinating. Just not at Mohawk. I am not a picky parent, but I have been thinking that my kids would get a superior education in neighboring school districts. Mohawk provides an unenthused, bare-bones educational experience.

Posted July 14, 2004

Overall the instructors at this facility are burned out. They manage to get through the 'school day' and then race out of the building in front of their students. Very little concern for the leaders of tommorrow!

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

83 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

84 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

93 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

Asian 4% 3%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Mr. Christopher Gardner
Fax number
  • (586) 723-6201

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education