Lessenger Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 318 students

Posted April 29, 2014

Lessenger has some excellent teachers, and the Chinese program is a huge bonus. I would recommend lessenger without reservation

Posted March 2, 2014

I am very happy with the Teachers and Principal. I think they try very hard to teach our children to really start to forward think and empower the kids to think for them self. I love the conversations I have with my kids about school. The Parents are a part of the school and I think that makes a big difference.

Posted April 12, 2012

Coming from the Madison District, it didn't take much to impress me; however, this school is beyond anything I could have hoped for! My children (1st and 5th graders) are both excelling and really enjoy going to school.

Posted July 17, 2011

I have always loved that the teachers work so hard with the students and also with the parents. I will miss it when my daughter is done in a year. I have never not be happy with the school

Posted April 28, 2010

THe kindergarten and Kindergarten Enrichment programs are great. My twins go there and love their teachers and love the school.

Posted April 28, 2010

Fantastic school in a fantastic district! I went there and I wish we lived closer so that my daughter could go there too!

Posted September 20, 2007

I have two children at Lessenger pre-k and 4th grade. The Teacher teaches the curriculum but they also give great social support at lessenger. I know that when my child is away at school they are in good hands. I do not have to worry about either of them. My children stay intrigued, stimulated and organized at lessenger. Mrs. Jarvis is great the teachers highly qualified and supportive.

Posted September 12, 2007

This is the worst school ever! I had three children enrolled (preschool, 2nd grade and 4th grade) and the teachers were all terrible. Let me make my self clear... Both of my school age children were very advanced and had no issues in prior schools.(My son won the spelling bee, etc) Lessenger does get high marks for academics... It's nice to know how well the teachers score on the MEAPS. Also in closing, I was the Room Mom in my childrens class and was the V.P at the prior school. My children are now at Hiller and very happy!!!

Posted March 18, 2007

As a parent of 2 children attending Lessenger since 2003, I have to say I'm totally impressed with everything about this school. Coming into the school, my oldest had some behavior and socialization problems. The teacher tried everything in her power to help. The principal was beyond helpful! As a team, we worked to find a 'cure.' We helped him to become a better student. The extracurricular activities are fabulous. Parental involvement is stellar. I've read a couple of negative reviews and think that maybe these parents weren't the kind to give to the school, but only wanted the school to give to them. I recommend this school extensively!

Posted October 17, 2006

This school is wonderful, my son gets all the support he needs. I'm so glad there is schools of choice. My daughter now attends kindergarten at Lessenger and loves it! There is more parent & staff involvement than I have ever seen at my sons previous schools. My youngest attends the preschool at Lessenger also and she loves it. If I didn't take my son out of the district we belong to he would still be having such a hard time and being made fun of by other kids. This doesn't happen at this school. The staff are all great. Our whole family loves Lessenger!!!

Posted July 6, 2006

I sent my daughter to this school and I have to disagree with the comments before mine. This is not the

Posted May 10, 2006

Good school overall with caring staff.Teachers available if any issues arise with homework or other matters involving your children. Would reccomend.

Posted September 21, 2005

I am shocked as well with the comment from Nevember 2004. This school has done so much to help my child. Everyone there does so much. We come from another district & the difference is very noticable. So I can say I am glad also that there is schools of choice! If not my child wouldnt be getting the extra help he needs.

Posted August 31, 2005

I am shocked by the November 2004 comment by a parent. Perhaps that student had some issues? Lessenger is a wonderful school. My children have all thrived here. The teachers (including art, music and gym), the principal, latch key staff, lunchroom staff, secretaries and janitorial staff are ALL wonderful. We couldn't ask for a better school or curriculum. The extra-curricular programs and events are well thought out and maintained. With so many working parents in the school community I am still amazed at the involvement we have here at Lessenger. Thank you Lessenger for enriching my children in so many ways. I never have to worry about my child, I know she is safe and in good hands. There is never a day that she does not want to go to school! What a loving and caring school we have! Chris

Posted August 5, 2005

I love the principal of this school! She is genuinely concerned with the children and their families. There is a high number of special needs students here. She is willing to work with the parents concerning school discipline for each child's individual social/emotional needs. I had a serious issue with bus transportation that no one else seemed to want to try to solve. As a last resort, I contacted the principal not knowing if she would care or tell me bus trans- portation was not her concern. She was very pleased that I talked to her. She said she thought there was an issue with this particular bus, but had no idea it was that serious. She dealt with the problem and made a phone call. I did not have another problem. Had I known her level of concern I would have gone to her earlier concerning this issue.

Posted April 9, 2005

Lessenger has been nothing short of wonderful. I find the Teachers and staff more than willing to help. They offer Cooking club, which my children LOVE, they also have family fun nights at no charge. It is a wonderful school family to be a part of.

Posted November 7, 2004

The more my child is at this school the less I am impressed. I am told that this is the best elementary out of the 4 elementaries in Lamphere. If that is true, they better re-define the word best. The teachers teach the cirriculum but not the student. Lamphere district is not as great as I was told. The test scores may be right up there but the standards, ethics and conduct are not. I fault the district administrators as well as the school's faculty. Wake up Lamphere - your district is failing the grade with parents and students. Thank goodness there is school of choice - I intend to exercise that option.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

37 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

37 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

51 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

Asian 6% 3%

Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

• Jane Jurvis
Fax number
  • (248) 589-8853

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education