No rating

Japhet School

Private | PK-8 | 85 students

Living in Madison Heights

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $67,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $730.

Posted May 30, 2014

My child is attending preschool here & will move up to kindergarten in the fall. I was shocked to read two of the negative reviews on the preschool program as our experience has been better than what we expected. Japhet truly nurtures the whole child, I see each child given respect and every opportunity to grow. I was concerned that my child was behind in letter recognition but of no account to the school. He is very creative & showed no interest in letters. This only changed the way the teachers worked with him, helping him in more creative ways that suited his learning style. The small class sizes & individualized instruction (for everyone) allowed for this. He has completely blossomed! I'm almost tired of always talking about letters and sounds ; ) he is also reading which is such a relief & joy to experience. The preschool room is filled with extremely creative activities all which teach not only the basics such as letters, counting, reading, math...etc, but also about our world and peaceful conflict resolution. My family and I are very proud to be apart of this community.

Posted May 19, 2014

We were so excited to enroll our child in preschool at Japhet, but it turned out to be a huge disappointment. They do not prepare the preschoolers for kindergarten. The teacher does not focus on fundamentals enough and I will have to supplement this summer to make sure my son is prepared for kindergarten. I also felt the teacher was not personable and would brush my questions off regarding my child's experience there and say things like "your child is doing fine, he's happy." Nothing specific. The class was not that big so certainly she knew the students a little better than that? Also they did not handle a few situations properly and I feel there is a lot of obvious favoritism. The parent involvement they emphasize is for donations to the school and occasional special events, no emphasis on parental involvement in the classroom. Unfortunately I would not recommend this school.

Posted February 9, 2014

Both of my children attended this school from preschool through eighth grade, then entered the public high school. They were tremendously well prepared to take advanced classes, and they entered high school trusting their teachers as valuable mentors. This is Japhet's greatest gift! At Japhet every child is well known and nurtured by every teacher and administrator in the building. Now in high school and college, they continue to go back to Japhet and volunteer. I am so grateful I found this gem and would highly recommend this school. The foundation it provides is unmatched.

Posted January 16, 2014

We had a wonderful early childhood experience at Japhet. I must say that I noticed only one average review and it couldn't be further from what we experienced. Our children both attended Pre- School (and are still at the school in first and sixth). The Pre-School and Kindergarten preparation were both tailored to our children's needs and skill level. The program is play based but the foundation of the Kindergarten is rooted in the Montessori method. Both my children were completely prepared for their next steps (in fact they have been at every level) and Japhet provides additional support as well as a comfortable environment for advanced work when necessary. I was so pleased with the nurturing environment and the early childhood teachers at Japhet. We feel this school is a gem and are so grateful we found it. Where else can you have your Preschooler come home and start helping with the dishes saying "look mom, I'm showing initiative today!" The Character Education program is the real deal!

Posted January 9, 2014

My daughter attended preschool here and we were not very impressed. While many of the activities were very creative they did not do a very good job preparing the kids academically for kindergarten. I spent the summer working with my daughter to ensure she would be ready for kindergarten. I was also disappointed when I realized that the head teacher did not have a teaching nor child development degree of any kind. I would rate the preschool as average but not worth the tuition.

Posted September 24, 2013

The focus on character education is what initially captured my interest. The excellent academics, small classroom sizes, and remarkable teachers is what has kept my family at Japhet for more than 7 years. I cannot stress how wonderful it has been to have my children in an environment that stresses such things as industry, honesty, initiative and courage AND the way that they weave the character qualities into everything (from math to cooking to science) is amazing. Highly recommend the school to anyone looking for a better situation.

Posted September 24, 2013

The Japhet School provides a wonderful foundation for students' academic lives and beyond. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to attended Japhet from Daycare - 8th grade. I currently serve on the Board of Trustees, and can tell that Japhet still has the sense of community and strong academics that it did when I was student. I can't recommend this school enough!

Posted July 31, 2013

This school has poor preparation for high school, especially with math and socialization. The school student population is very unstable, with very few students staying through eighth grade. We had an ongoing issue with our son's teacher that continued for more than one year due to the structure of two years with the same teacher. We were much happier this year after switching him to another private school in the area. Also, the staff diversity is minimal. We did like the large field for recess, but have heard that the school is moving to a facility without a playground.

Posted June 8, 2013

Japhet is a warm, inviting school with emphasis on public speaking and teaching character. I'm very glad my student goes there, and I see the difference that a quality education can make.

Posted April 24, 2013

Japhet is a great value for the type of environment and education they provide. The staff there is caring and supportive and allow kids to be themselves. The character education piece is great and has lead to many good discussions with our kids. The class sizes are small and have allowed for a great deal of one-on-one time with teachers. The staff is creative and make the most out of their facilities. Field trip choices are good. The people at Japhet really care about it and take pride in their school. If there is something that we didn't love about Japhet it is the strong emphasis on fund raising. That being said, the tuition is significantly less than comparable schools , and this may be a trade off that is well worth it, depending on your situation. I highly recommend Japhet.

Posted October 10, 2012

We have two children at Japhet currently, and have been part of the Japhet family for 6 years. I can't say enough about the teachers and staff there. The focus on character quality integration into the subject matter makes such a difference in the kids. Japhet is a calm, friendly, supporting place, where kids of different races and faiths find friendship, support, and inclusiveness. Small class sizes and teachers willing to spend extra time to make sure every student is understanding what is being studied, mean so much to our kids. I can't imagine another place where the 8th graders befriend kids as young as first or second grade. I can't recommend Japhet highly enough. We will be keeping our kids there until they have to move on to high school.

Posted February 29, 2012

I go to that school. It is the best school EVER!!! It teaches us character and friendship building. It Is a green school and we take many very fun field trips. I recommend this school very much. Believe me, the first day you walk into school you will be sarounded with loving, caring, joyful people. This is my fourth year at Japhet. BEST SCHOOL EVER!

Posted November 11, 2011

Every Parents Dream. Japhet has a caring environment with teachers that focus on each student and their individual needs.

Posted August 28, 2008

We are so proud to have our son attend Japhet. There is an amazing uniqueness about the eviroment and we feel a great support from all angles the school can provide.

Posted September 18, 2007

I went to Japhet for 9 years, and it's an amazing place. Growing up in an enviroment where everyone is so caring has helped me as an adult. Japhet has a strong character building program, as well as great academics. There are small classes so you get a more personalized education. I would definitely recommend Japhet to anyone.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 13, 2007

My son has completed 2 years of preschool here and is on his way to kindergarden. We love everything about this school. The teachers and staff are very friendly and approachable.

Posted September 24, 2006

Japhet has helped my children love learning! The learning environment is supportive of the gifted child as well as those needing extra help. Caring teachers and small class size has made a positive difference for my children.

Posted May 30, 2006

The only word I can think of to describe this school is FANTASTIC! If you want caring teachers, quality academics, and a character-based curriculum, your search is over.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 14% 19%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%
Multiracial 0% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Fax number
  • (248) 585-4495

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

31201 Dorchester Avenue