Martin High School

Public | 7-12 | 260 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 31, 2012

This schools system is the worst school system I have been involved with. The administration is not held accountable by any one. They educate perhaps 10% of the students, with the right last name. Three generations is an outsider here. When questioned about a particular program the principals answer to me was the statics were askew. The program was at least three years old and suppose to help struggling students. As many parents we used school of choice after realizing there was minimal education available to bulk of the student poplualtion, now we are moving. The good reviews are from the 10% I assure you.

Posted February 23, 2009

Being a student at Martin, I think the school is great, the students are mostly well-behaved, and even if we may not offer the advanced, special, classes, the teachers do a great job at teaching what their supposed to. The school is a little behind in some areas, but is just as good as any other, bigger schools. It's a great place to make good, lifelong friends, and everyone has that known face when you live in such a small town. It's a great place to be loved and remembered.

Posted August 27, 2008

Being a graduate of Martin High I think I can be a witness to both the good and the bad aspects of the school. You get back what you put into it, the same that would come from any other high school in the area. The staff there is willing to help. While some staff seems to 'click' better with students than others it again, does not differ from that of other schools. The emphasis on sports is not Martin High only... our culture today puts such an emphasis on athletics that a school cannot help but do the same. However if the school emphasizes their athletics, and more students participate, wouldn't that be better? The eligability program along with peer pressure alone to be able to play would keep any students grades up in my past experience. Martin High does it's best to ensure each student gets great personal education.

Posted August 19, 2008

As a Senior this year, I can proudly say that I went to Martin Public Schools. I had previously gone to a private school and liked Martin much better. The staff is very knowledgeable and dedicated to helping students succeed in their academic and personal lives. They are willing to help with anything from academic work, to any emotional problems someone might have. Some students move out of the district b/c they want to go to a bigger school. I don't think that they will get the same personal attention that they get at Martin. I feel that I have been prepared well for the tools I need to succeed in college and life, and wish that I could go back to being a freshman all over again.

Posted May 21, 2008

I was a student at Martin High School and felt that it did not prepare students academically for college. Things may have changed since I graduated, but due to the size and number of teachers at Martin there we not a lot of choices in the classes you could take, and no AP courses.

Posted January 12, 2008

Martin is an extremely small and very involved school. It is a great place to go to school. You will graduate with everyone that you know with the graduating class being only 60 students or less. I love the school so much!!

Posted June 22, 2007

As a Martin Alumni and college grad I can honestly say Martin is a fair school. Being a smaller school puts students at a disadvantage for higher education but allows for more attention from teachers. There are not enough challenging classes to really prepare students for challenging futures. And for those students that struggle, they are simply pushed through ( no child left behind ). The extra curricular activities are strong at Martin, which is especially surprising for the schools lack of size. Between sports teams, the band, and clubs a sense of pride runs through the student body. Martin could be a much stronger school if parent involvement was higher, however that isn t the school s fault it's the parents.

Posted April 22, 2007

I have been a student at Martin Public Schools since kindergarten, I can truley say that if you want the safty of a small school and the education of a large school then Martin is the best school for you. I know that Martin doesn't have all the classes that it can offer, but that is not their fault. The government keeps making budgat cuts and taking all the money for schools and giving it away to the larger schools. Martin is doing the best they can with what they can. They are offering more classes next like more online classes, and more acdamic classes. Our band class is one of the best class D bands around. But we don't have the money to show ourselves off.

Posted April 4, 2007

There is one thing that makes me mad about people who say bad things about Martin, they never ever look at the 'inside' of the school. Martin has been given a bad name by people outside of the school district. Being a sophomore now, I can proudly say that I'm proud to be a student at Martin. Just because we are a small school, doesn't mean that the quality of education goes down with the size. It is harder to be able to graduate with all of the new requirements both the state and school are setting for us. That helps show that our school staff cares enough to help us succeed in the rough job economy ahead of us. Martin may put emphasis on sports, but they are trying to bring us all closer together in our school.

Posted November 9, 2006

The school puts more emphasis on sports than academics.

Posted May 20, 2006

As a Student of Martin High School, I am glad to say I am happy with it! Becoming a senior is a honor, and with the great teaching staff, it makes me wish I was able to go back to freshman year. I love the fact that our school is so small. Everyone knows everyone and its a very friendly place to be. The teachers are great and almost any of them take time outside or their teaching life to help us with any problems we have. I feel extremely close to most of them and am sad that some are leaving. Martin is also having new courses next year for 11th and 12th grade students which is adding to our learning experience! I am very glad my parents picked Martin because I have made life long friends and had memories I will never forget at this school!

Posted April 24, 2006

There was a huge emphasis placed on the sports system in the school, while other things lacked. The arts department left much to be desired, and the money being spent on football field and gym renovations left little room for improvement on art supplies and band instruments. Another issue in question is the ridiculous spending of grant money on things like bus wash garages. I know that grants are generally concentrated on certain areas of spending... but something tells me a bus wash isn't the best thing we could come up with.

Posted February 3, 2006

I am proud to be a 1975 MHS graduate. My sons are fourth generation graduates of MHS. Your children are what you expect them to be. The time and energy you put into your childrens education and future are the adults you will be entering into society. You have no one else to blame about the education of your children if you are not involved. My daughter and both sons graduated with honors, were three season, 4 year athletes, winning numerous academic as well as sports awards. I am still involved in the Martin Athletic Booster Club and have been for 15 years. My daughter is a graduate of the University of Michigan. Both of my sons are Juniors at Central Michigan University. All three children worked their way through college. Martin and life is what you put into it, the old saying 'You reap what you Sow' is very true.

Posted November 29, 2005

Martin Public Schools is a very sound, stable school system. Granted I haven't gone to this school as long as the others who have posted here, I still feel this is the best school i've been to. I've gone to bigger schools that had more of an emphasis on tests, etc. but didn't have nearly the environment that Martin does. Almost everyone that attends this school knows everyone else, which is very beneficial in the learning process, as they feel comfortable in their learning environment. Nearly all of my sophomore classmates have no problems with this school whatsoever and are quite happy. Sure the school promotes the student body s involvement in sports and other various school-oriented activities, but that does not mean it distracts us from learning in any way. You re disappointed in the school? Seems to me like you re just ignorant as to how great this school really is.

Posted November 12, 2005

As a recent graduate from Martin High School I would have to say that in general it is a excellent school. While the school is much smaller than the school I attended before I had a much greater educational experience at Martin. I enjoyed the fact that the school is small and that you get to know everyone. What the concerned parent said is untrue. Most of the graduating class of 2005 is furthering their education in one way or another be it college, working, or joining our armed forces. The school is a great place for a child to learn and to also make friends that they will most likely have for the rest of their life. The band program at the school is excellent and parents are very involved in the program as with most of the extracurricular activities and courses offered by the school.

Posted August 10, 2005

I personally think Martin School is great. I've gone here since Kindergarten and most of my Sophmore classmates have been here since then and it's nice to grow up with people you know in a small school where you know everyone. I have a friend who went to a huge school one year and they were behind us in classes with what they were learning (He of course came back to Martin). I also believe that our sports and our band are great. Being in band, I have seen how hard we work and we do a great job. The football team made it to the state playoffs my freshman year. For people who have something against Martin Schools they need to look at more than the size of it.

Posted April 15, 2005

I attended Martin Public schools for 13 years. I love that Martin is small because I got to know everyone. My class was very close because we are a small school. Also, I will graduate from college this May and then go back in January to further my education. What the 'concerned parent' had to say is not all true. A lot of students from Martin has went to college and been successful. There is not one thing that I would change.

Posted March 24, 2005

I have had 3 students go thru the Martin Public School system over a 15 year period. I have seen many changes come and go. The staff is dedicated to improving. When my children were in elementary I saw teachers who cared about my children. Who wanted the best for them. Martin then went thru many changes of administration and I began to see things diminish. When the leaders are not dedicated to a school system it is very difficult to bring about healthy changes. I see a staff who are very discouraged, spirits broken, and lack of enthusiasum. The Martin Public School still has a base of dedicated staff. But with the money being so tight it is hard to be enthused. I am very proud of our band program. It too has had many director changes. There is next to no parent involvement in the upper levels.

Posted March 22, 2005

I am also shocked that someone would say so many bad things about Martin. As a current 8th grader, I can't stop saying good things about the school. The teachers are awesome and care so much about their students. They are always working with students who need extra help with their work. I like that Martin is a small school because everyone knows you and you know them. I think our extra curricular activities are some of the highlights of our school. The band has always done really well at competitions and other things. Our sports programs are also very good. Most of our teams make it to the state level. I don't know why someone would 'bash' the school anyway. I know that if I live in Martin when I'm an adult and have a family, my kids will go to Martin Public Schools ~A shocked 8th grader

Posted February 5, 2005

As a current Junior at Martin High School, I could not have been more angered at what that 'concerned parent' wrote about the school she chose for her children. before Martin, I attended a private school for 13 years. The two and a half years I have spent at Martin thus far have been unforgettable. The quality of the people as far as staff, students, coaches, and administration is concerned is outstanding. While it is small in size, the teachers are dedicated and provide tools far beyond those required of Public Schools (they even offer dual college enrollment) and as in most schools, you only gain what you put in... I highly doubt that the fact that your siblings went to Martin is the reason that they did not attend college. I am insaulted that someone would write such mean things about Martin. I cannot say enough great things about it.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

47 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

39 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

"89"%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

3 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 1% 18%

• (616) 672-9263

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now