Martin, MI

Posted August 05, 2014
I am a parent of two students at Martin Public Schools. Both have attended since kindergarten, and we considered several other neighboring districts as schools of choice options before enrolling our oldest child in Martin. Martin is a small Class D. There are some classes (foreign languages, choir, AP classes) that are not available. Some sports are not competitive. However, over all, as a parent with very high standards, I am so glad our children attend Martin. The small community environment is supportive of students no matter what gifts and challenges they bring. Students who might ordinarily be put in special education are regularly mainstreamed, and often the counselor or social worker will have students partnered with them to make sure they are welcomed and accepted. Any student can be in band and sports at a varsity level if they wish, so the ultra-competitive "making the team" dynamic does not exist. Because there are not as many classes, the district has aggressively pursued early college through AAESA, community and 4 year colleges. Students can earn up to 2 years credit virtually for free while still in high school, which is a huge leg up for college.

Martin High School 1

Posted May 31, 2012
This schools system is the worst school system I have been involved with. The administration is not held accountable by any one. They educate perhaps 10% of the students, with the right last name. Three generations is an outsider here. When questioned about a particular program the principals answer to me was the statics were askew. The program was at least three years old and suppose to help struggling students. As many parents we used school of choice after realizing there was minimal education available to bulk of the student poplualtion, now we are moving. The good reviews are from the 10% I assure you.

Posted January 02, 2010

Posted February 23, 2009
Being a student at Martin, I think the school is great, the students are mostly well-behaved, and even if we may not offer the advanced, special, classes, the teachers do a great job at teaching what their supposed to. The school is a little behind in some areas, but is just as good as any other, bigger schools. It's a great place to make good, lifelong friends, and everyone has that known face when you live in such a small town. It's a great place to be loved and remembered.

Martin High School 3

Posted August 27, 2008
Being a graduate of Martin High I think I can be a witness to both the good and the bad aspects of the school. You get back what you put into it, the same that would come from any other high school in the area. The staff there is willing to help. While some staff seems to 'click' better with students than others it again, does not differ from that of other schools. The emphasis on sports is not Martin High only... our culture today puts such an emphasis on athletics that a school cannot help but do the same. However if the school emphasizes their athletics, and more students participate, wouldn't that be better? The eligability program along with peer pressure alone to be able to play would keep any students grades up in my past experience. Martin High does it's best to ensure each student gets great personal education.

Posted August 19, 2008
As a Senior this year, I can proudly say that I went to Martin Public Schools. I had previously gone to a private school and liked Martin much better. The staff is very knowledgeable and dedicated to helping students succeed in their academic and personal lives. They are willing to help with anything from academic work, to any emotional problems someone might have. Some students move out of the district b/c they want to go to a bigger school. I don't think that they will get the same personal attention that they get at Martin. I feel that I have been prepared well for the tools I need to succeed in college and life, and wish that I could go back to being a freshman all over again.

Martin High School 2

Posted May 21, 2008
I was a student at Martin High School and felt that it did not prepare students academically for college. Things may have changed since I graduated, but due to the size and number of teachers at Martin there we not a lot of choices in the classes you could take, and no AP courses.

Posted March 24, 2008

Posted January 12, 2008
Martin is an extremely small and very involved school. It is a great place to go to school. You will graduate with everyone that you know with the graduating class being only 60 students or less. I love the school so much!!

Posted December 28, 2007

Martin High School
1556 Chalmers Street, Martin, MI  49070
Last modified Martin High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martin High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top