Public charter
New Haven, MI

Merritt Academy
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 16, 2015
Most recently a study has been released identifying these areas of inadequacy in the charter school system.The relationship between dollars spent and student achievement has not worked out for parents such as myself. Attempts to use the smaller sized charter as a method for advancing my child is not panning-out. Additionally, the Merritt is held to a lesser ability to be challenged if I have a grievance about the education my student is receiving. Unlike the district public school, I cannot take my grievance beyond the CEO of the parent company if I am not satisfied. The organization of this charter has no recourse if you as a parent consumer are dissatisfied and the business chooses to disregard your concerns. I have concluded to move my child from Merritt because of these issues and their inability to meet the needs of children who aren't "The most desirable". Their attitudes of not caring for all students irrespective of their ability makes Merritt only a choice for the "cherry picked" student and not a healthy option for nay students of special needs.

Posted July 14, 2015
My child has been a student at Merritt for 3 full years. Unfortunately at this point, I am no longer able to recumbent Merritt Academy to any other parents. I have personally worked in public schools and have come to recognize after a long experience with sending my children to both private, public and harder that the current charter school system is broken. Merritt is an example of this brokeness. In the younger grades, the elementary has great has greater success than the middle or high school. Students within the middle school re completely done a disservice when compared to distort/public or private. This is because of the inadequate educators and staff hired and maintained within the Merritt groups system. Compensation and better benefits have the best teachers opting for traditional public opportunities where they received better work conditions. This has proven to be most apparent within the middle school grades. Therefore, the remaining reachers within a charter school such a Merritt are those less skilled and qualified. This has shown itself at Merritt. Educators especially within the middle school are less confident to teach the more challenged student and those who aren't at the head of the class. Additionally, because of those teacher lessor abilities and conflicts regarding little support and resources frequently, they subject children to punitive and unimaginative techniques such as isolating students at lunch hour. The lack of adequate resources based on poor allocation has the challenged students who aren't the beat and brightest struggling with educators that cannot provide them success based on the teachers own limitations and the duality of the charter system and its need to respond to more than just the best needs of the students. Furthermore, because Merritt brings on staff which are marginal, techniques witness have also included some others which are primitive and potentially emotionally harmful to students. O of the those technique is shaming children which include singling them out in front of their peers or subjection students to be identified as less desirable. Likewise holding students over within school and also on Saturday mornings. The extra time has been unstructured and no guidance given. For any student who already struggles in that self-image, these techniques cause greater damage than any sort of extra time benefit.

Merritt Academy 3

Posted May 17, 2015
Merritt is a very nice school. One of the best in Michigan, this school has a very good education with early people. It is nice to where uniforms and casual days on friday. I have been here in the 6th and 7th grade. The classes are nice and small with around 20 per class. If your in the 8th grade or up, you can attend after school weight lifting/ conditioning on Tue. and Thur. There is rarely any bullying. Best of all, Merritt has behavor reward trips, like go bowling or to the park. But not all school are perfect. The teacher use a childish correcting system. In a class or substitute, students may be out of hand. Also, the school has a out of date Middle, Elementry, and pre school buildings. some teachers may have a bad additide on some days but normaly ok. Go to Merritt

Posted April 28, 2014
Three of my children have attended Merritt and I have been extremely happy. We have been at the school for ten years, we have a Senior, a fourth grader and a sixth grader. I cannot say enough about all the teachers at Merritt they all go above and beyond. My sixth grader is advanced and my fourth grader struggles at times but Merritt has programs for both and because of the programs my advanced student continues to advance and my struggling student is now above grade level. My sixth grader is one of the children that scored extremely high on her meap and I can guarantee it's because of the advanced program merritt offers! Merritt is a wonderful school!

Posted April 22, 2014
Since I do not want my children growing up in a nonunion environment, we chose to send our children to a very close school where we know their teachers will be paid appropriate wages and treated fairly. My husband and I also found it quite fishy that the test scores sky rocketed all of a sudden when the rest of the state did not. We aren't stupid and know something was going on behind closed doors during those tests. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Posted November 15, 2013
Merritt Academy has shown terrible reasons for a student to get in trouble the teachers are very rude to the students and i agree about the rude part the part about unqualified i wouldn't say is true i'm hoping My child will be getting pulled out ASAP

Posted July 14, 2013
Merritt is the best! Both of our boys attend Merritt and we absolutely love it! The Teachers are VERY qualified and very attentive to each individual child. Yes they push them but isn't that what they are supposed to do? There are no "clicks", some parents just choose to be more involved than others. We like the fact that the classrooms aren't packed with 30 plus kids and the Teachers and Administration know and acknowledge each of them every day. It is a smaller school compared to some of the bigger districts around them but you would never know that when you look at their test scores! Teachers and Admin make sure that your child gets the help they need to succeed as we have experienced with our older child. We love Merritt and are VERY proud to send our children there!

Posted May 16, 2013
merritt academy. Teachers are unqualified and rude. Children are not treated fairly. My son is not learning anything new. Teachers are rough with the kids which is why we left.

Posted August 22, 2012
My son has been at Merritt since preschool and is going in to 1st grade. The education he is receiving is head and shoulders above his peers in public schools. My sister (who also has a 1st grader) has pulled her child from a very good school district to put him in another Romine School, because she sees how much further along my son is. Finally, what really sets Merritt apart is the kids. They are respectful, kind and truly wonderful to be around. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard 'please' and 'thank yous', or had doors held for me by Merritt students. The older children watch over the younger ones and reinforce the good values I want my son to have.

Posted June 14, 2012
If you do not get into a click your child will not be treated fairly. Academically this school is behind.

Merritt Academy
59900 Havenridge Rd, New Haven, MI  48048
Last modified Merritt Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Merritt Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top