Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 04, 2016
I would like to thank Ms. Marcy - a preschool teacher who still asks about my grandson, even though he is in 1st grade; Mrs. Kumer, a kindergarten teacher; and Mrs. Lintz, a speech therapist - who all took a shy little boy with a pronounced speech problem and worked with him to make him feel accepted. They did not treat him as if he was mentally deficient, which he is not, and he is now doing exceptionally well in his speech and interaction with other children.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 04, 2016
I believe there is too much homework expected in lower grades. I don't agree with Common Core, and believe these children are learning things at an accelerated pace from years gone by. First graders are reading chapter books, and doing math that used to be on a 3rd or 4th grade level before. This does not make them smarter, or better educated down the road. It put pressure on them that is not necessary at an earlier age.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted May 04, 2016
Overall, I believe this school system does, although there are certain teachers who play favorites, and it's evident in the treatment of others.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted May 04, 2016
I think they could do a better job in teaching fairness. Just because a teacher is busy does not excuse them from finding out facts before delegating out punishment that may be unwarranted.

Merritt Elementary School 4

Posted May 04, 2016
I have had children and grandchildren in Brandywine schools for over 30 years. Overall I have had wonderful experiences with the teachers and the schools. This year was not as good an experience for my grandson, who has a speech problem that is being addressed, but is not mentally slow - yet his teacher treats him as if he is. Otherwise, I am very happy with the Brandywine system.

Posted April 29, 2010
Merritt is a Blue Ribbon school. If you know how much effort it takes to receive Blue Ribbon status from the State of Michigan, then that's all you need to know.

Posted November 18, 2009
i really like merritt school i grew up in brandywine and both of my children go there.my daughter went to niles last year and we decided to put her in merritt and so far she really likes and seems to be doing better.I think brandywine is a very good school and the teachers and staff treat everyone with respect.. signed sabrina

Merritt Elementary School 5

Posted October 06, 2005
I really like Merritt Elementary School.Most important my four children love/loved it there.Matter of fact we are school of choice.Which means we like that school better than any in Niles.So we choose to send them there.Which means we have to drive them everyday,but it is well worth it in every way.The staff there are very understanding to are needs.My son has HDHD and he is doing so good.The teachers and staff are very patient with him and he has come along ways due to the teachers & staff.Also there speech teacher MRS.Leitz is good with my 3 children that go to her for speech.All and all we wouldn't change a thing except (move into the district one day)out of Niles school district! =)signed Whitney

1620 Lasalle Avenue, Niles, MI  49120
Last modified Merritt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-2