No rating

Our Lady of Victory School

Private | K-8 | 51 students

Living in Northville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted August 6, 2014

This school is one of the biggest in the area, with 450 kids K-8. The academics are rigorous, but it is to ensure success in high school and beyond. Parents are very involved here. Teachers, myself included, love our job and the faith-based community. We do everything we can to help our students and stay connected daily with our parents. Our principal has been here for three years and has made many improvements to the school's policies and curriculum. Father Denis is an integral part of the school and does everything he can to help the students learn and live out their faith. There is now a dean of students who has really helped with the minimal disciplinary issues. I wouldn't want to work (or send my children) anywhere else.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 25, 2014

Poor leadership. Lack of discipline and do not do anything about bullying or mean aggressive behavior even after parent meetings. Have heard that Principal does not address parent concerns. Their academics are not superior to the surrounding schools. Other schools offer a lot more activities and enrichment. Unless you just want to pay for the religion and the prestigious look of uniforms I would not waste my money. Very disappointing for a private school. I feel other schools offer a stronger leadership and mentoring program than OLV as well as challenging academics.

Posted September 4, 2013

If it turns out your child needs extra help this school and principal is not for you. They only have a part time resource room teacher and make no secret about the fact kids need to function without help. This school only wants the really smart easy kids, so if you were hoping for the caring, we wont let your kid fail environment, keep looking.

Posted February 19, 2013

I have been at Our Lady of Victory since kindergarten and love it here. It has become like a second home to many of us. The staff and teachers are truly one of a kind and have taught me many life lessons, inside and outside of the classroom. All of the stdents here are very warm and welcoming to our new peers. OLV has great athletic, as well as academic programs. A recent change of administration has really made all of us students happier, as our new principal is a terrific leader. OLV scores well above the national average on standardized tests, such as the IOWA. Our Lady of Victory is really preparing me for high school, as well as the world outside of the classroom. I will really miss it when I graduate in May.

Posted February 11, 2013

My child has attended Our Lady of Victory for two years so I cannot speak to the former principal but the current one is fantastic. Love this school! The academics are far above the local public schools, the Catholic education is fantastic and the friends we have made are invaluable. It is a great school.

Posted January 22, 2012

New principal this year 11/12. She had such a warm charismatic personality that everybody is really attracted to. New positive changes, with a warm loving atmosphere. Teachers have a wonderful rapoire with the students, academic is challenging, school offers so much from spirit day, to tons of sports, cookie day, trash free Tuesday and tons more. Wouldn't have my 3 children go anywhere else.

Posted July 29, 2011

Since the change in administration several years back, OLV has lost its charm and total feeling of what a catholic school should be. Worried about saving money, they are cutting back on quality staff. The principal is poor at best, and the school is now losing students because of this. What a wonderful place this used to be. My child now attends a public school. I can only hope one day this school will return to what it used to be. How sad for the children who still attend. The parents on the other hand are wonderful and supportive and continue to be involved.

Posted June 15, 2011

This school has the potential to be wonderful if they would get rid of the horrible administration. Great teachers, great students, great parents...horrible principal.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 28, 2010

Ask for details on their IOWA test scores. The results were terrible. School leadership will dodge any questions about the subject like a politician caught red-handed!

Posted August 23, 2007

As a parent I want to send my children to a school that will challenge them educationally and provide the discipline they will need to succeed in life. OLV answers the challenge. The new school is exceptions and the teachers are challenging.

Posted November 5, 2006

I am an eighth grade student at Our Lady of Victory. I love it so much and I cannot imagine going anywhere else. We went to a new school this year and it is really big, for us at least. The teachers here are really good and you learn alot every day. The thing here that I love the most are the people I go to school with. They are not cliquey at all, ever. We got lots of new people this year and they fit in so well, we forgot we have only known them for a couple of months. There is no other place to go for K-8 than OLV. Trust me, I know.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 8, 2006

Although OLV is entering uncharted territory with its transfer to the new (and vastly superior) building across the street, we can sketch a likely future outlook. Only one outstanding detraction. Bigger school, more students, less cramped crowded intimate friend making. (Roughly 37 students in each classroom at the 'old school'). But the closet stuffed with books has blossomed into a full-fledged library, the closet stuffed with triassic Macs has become a capable, connected computer lab. Formerly, classrooms doubled as the lunchroom and the social hall as the gym - the new school has alloted a generous space for each. The new school is 'green' and other amenities abound... Back a decade ago when I was a student, the academics were a couple hairs above public (mostly the function of more strict teachers). The formerly deficient english/writing programs have finally improved and the honors math will remain intact. Get in while you can...
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 15, 2004

Hi, I am an alumni of Our Lady of Victory, and I am currently attending school at Detroit Catholic Central High School. To me, there were 3 main things that are important to me that OLV gave to me. One was the friendships that I made during the 9 years I went to OLV. Because of the smaller classes, the kids have a chance to bond with each other and develop life-long bonds. Another thing is that I learned alot about being a Catholic and I now realize the full meaning of being one. My third thing that I loved about OLV is that it prepared me very well for high school. Considering the school that I am attending, I probably wouldn't have been as prepared for it if I had public schooling. In conclusion, I highly recommend OLV and I wouldn't have traded it for any other school anywhere.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 5, 2004

I'm a student at OLV, in the 8th grade. I've been at this school since kindergarten, that 9 whole years of a wonderful school, with wonderful parents and teachers, and amazing friends. I am proud to say that these have been a memorable and eventful nine years. I'll be attending Ladywood High School next year, but I hope that OLV continues on with its plans for expansion, and that its stays an extremely family- oriented, quaint, inspiring place to learn and grow as a well-educated human being.
—Submitted by a student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%
African-American 1% 19%
Multiracial 0% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (248) 380-7247

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Detroit

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

132 Orchard Drive