School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Pepper Elementary school has caring teachers, helpful staff members, a building that is clean and a very dedicated principal
January 24, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The kids run this school. The principal is the problem. The kids enjoy going to the office like it’s a party, they skip class and be in the hallways. Kids don't care about being kicked out of class and I saw with my own eyes. The principal is more like a friend than a firm leader. The students fight and come back to school the next day.

The principal of this school is a serious problem. The teachers lack real support because they are constantly trying to get the kids behavior under control because the kids knows the principal is not going to hold them accountable. The kids enjoy going to the office like it’s a party to be kicked out of class and I saw with my own eyes the principal is more like a friend than a firm leader. The students fight and come back to school the next day. I allowed my daughter to go to this school for one semester and had to pull her out after she was attacked by another student that was recorded bullying her on a cell phone in the bathroom. Yes, my child was beat up in the bathroom by 3 kids she was in the 3rd grade and the other kids were in the 6th grade. The kids that beat her up received a one day suspension. I contact the superintendent several times she never returned my calls. Protect your kids, don't send them to this school.

Develops character: no rating

Pepper Elementary School has just established a boy scout troop that stresses character and cooperation. The school also has a group of fathers that volunteer their time to serve as role models for the boys that attend the school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Pepper School works very hard to develop positive character traits in their students. The school has a girl scout and boy scout program. Also the school has an National Elementary Honor Society membership as well.

Pepper Elementary School is a wonderful school. The staff is very supportive and accessible to parents. During the course of the school year they provided some great parent workshops. Also the principal is dedicated and committed to ensuring the safety of the students. Pepper school offers support for students that need it and will challenge students academically as well.

The teachers at this school have their work cut out for them. The kids are extremely rude and wild. The principal will tell you that he'll look into a situation and never does. He's also very unprofessional. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone.

I was only sent to Pepper because of the closure of Lessinger which I loved. Bottom line my kids have been excepted into another school district and I cant wait to leave. I cant stand the new wave of kids(adults too) hanging around or moving into the area.I just feels like a dark cloud is over Oak Park, and it is spilling into the schools. My kids come home with bad stories of what happened at school that day. They are only in the 2nd and K classes so at that age no one should know how to be disrepectful. Who ever heard of 2nd graders fighting, and using foul words in school. Well if you havent just stroll on down to Pepper and see for yourself. My 2nd grader was lucky and has the best teacher they have. As far as my K teacher I really dont think she cares. She never seems excited about how well my son is doing in her class or excited about anything.

I live in Detroit and my child attends Pepper Elem, this is his second year and this has been the best choice on my childs behalf I have made regarding his education. I've learned that it's not where you live or come from, Its about PARENT Involvement! The sames issues I see in DPS, I've seen in OAK PARK. I've made a difference in my childs life by making responsible, educated choices - I AM INVOLVED!

At first, I was skeptical about allowing my daughter to go to Pepper. I found Pepper to be a much better learning environment. I am glad I made the switch!

Last modified Pepper Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.